XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Sport mode?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 02:40 PM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I find a noticeable difference in the sport mode but only in gear selection. Seems to be in too high of gear at low speeds and lugging between 30 and maybe 45 mph.
Since generally engines like RPM much more than lugging, I usually am in sport mode when stop and go around town.
2X

Old 12-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Gippsland
Mine car is certainly faster after a wash. I'm glad I chose a Black Jag as I don't need the extra speed of the Red ones.

My beast defo seems faster when it sees me get in wearing my jeans and t-shirt, as opposed to my work suit! Bazaar...

Oh, also seems to go like the clappers in Sport or not in Sport mode when The Clash comes on the CD..!!!
Crazy...

The following users liked this post:
PaulCarr (09-26-2014)
Old 12-19-2013, 10:03 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Sport mode is real

twice today in traffic I thought my car felt sluggish. second time I looked over and noticed the cruise button on but not sport. Sport engaged, oh yes, acceleration from dead stop or nearly so much more brisk.

Also, for anyone contemplating xk8 vs xkr, the xkr clearly shows noticeably greater torque even at 2000-2400 rpm. And I'm at mile high elevation...

Redeye, "Rock the casbah!" I love that tune.

Last edited by weisberg; 12-19-2013 at 10:05 PM. Reason: amusement
Old 12-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by marshallcoleman
I've been keeping the Jag in sport mode setting at all times. What's the consensus out there? Are most folks doing the same? Any issues. Thanks!
I've used sport mode for both of our Jags since day one. I've run both modes for comparison on each and there's definitely a difference between the 2 modes. Sport mode holds each gear change a little bit longer than normal mode.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport mode MPG

Originally Posted by x-biker
I must be suffering the placebo effect - when I use sport there is not only the difference in change up points, but also I could swear the suspension feels firmer and the brakes sharper. There is less wallow, and more of a jolt going over bumps and it seems to be a bit flatter in the bends.

When I use normal mode I find it is constantly shifting up as high as it will go, and then has to keep kicking down when I want to accelerate. I seem to get less MPG in normal than sport so I leave that S button lit when I've got an open road, but put it back in normal when in traffic and I want the brake pedal less sharp.

Of course, all that could be a figment of my imagination......
You get better mpg in Sport than normal mode? That seems counterintuitive

Old 09-25-2014, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Old thread but in sport mode the 6spd will not shift into overdrive or 6th gear as well as higher shift points for all gears.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:15 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ccfulton
For the ZF, all I've noticed is that it holds gears longer. If you accelerate like a fool (hooligan?) and you get out of the throttle, it will hold gears for quite a while expecting you to resume your foolery (hooliganery?).
Hi Charlie, my 2005 XKR does hold the downshift longer in sport mode, but it's not just for foolery, it's for trail braking into turns so that the car does not upshift unexpectedly when you're in an oversteer attitude at the limit of traction at the apex. Hmmm, I guess that does count as hooliganery ;-)

Rgds, Fred

Old 09-26-2014, 02:09 AM
Received 153 Likes on 120 Posts

If you want to see if there's a difference, turn it on while you're sitting at a stoplight. Hope you have your foot well on the brake! RAWR. SNARL.

After more than a couple guys here (you lying bastids?) said it would 'learn' how I drove and respond more accordingly, I've just left it on all the time. It's more fun to drive that way and still gets good enough mileage- that I didn't tell a difference of. Meh.

It's definitely one of the more relaxed sport modes I've used, which is why I probably never turn it off. However, the one in my old Audi S8 turns that car into a rabid German Shepherd that you continually have to calm down at normal paces until you throw it back in Drive. BIG difference at WOT off the line or on a track though.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:19 AM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

My XKR is pretty quick in "normal" mode but press the "Sport" button and boot it and it goes ballistic. Gear changes happen at much higher RPM, much quicker kickdown (and seems to drop more gears when you do), steering and ride are sharper and the sound is like God having a tantrum... Certainly in mine there's no comparison - "normal" is for cruising, "Sport" is for hooning about.

No idea about fuel consumption although a quick boot in "Sport" sees the Range readout drop dramatically. I normally leave mine out of "Sport" mode and only put it on when I feel like a bit of hooligan driving, so the learning function must know what's expected of it by now when I press the button.

The supercharger howl is intoxicating - and I usually have something like The Hives blasting out as well. I really should grow up...

Old 09-26-2014, 02:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

Originally Posted by newXKRguy
Hi Charlie, my 2005 XKR does hold the downshift longer in sport mode, but it's not just for foolery, it's for trail braking into turns so that the car does not upshift unexpectedly when you're in an oversteer attitude at the limit of traction at the apex. Hmmm, I guess that does count as hooliganery ;-)

Rgds, Fred
As my 2004 STR has sensors (accelerometers) it already does not gear change in such circumstances, so no need to put it in sport. Isn't the 2005 XKR the same? (I suspect it is.)

Old 09-26-2014, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 904 Likes on 482 Posts

Since my mid muffler delete I have been keeping the car in normal mode as it sounds better in town at the lower RPM.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:08 AM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
As my 2004 STR has sensors (accelerometers) it already does not gear change in such circumstances, so no need to put it in sport. Isn't the 2005 XKR the same? (I suspect it is.)
Yes, the 2005 XKR has the accelerometers. I know the accelerometers play a part in setting the CATS shocks to firm (among the other things that they do for the DSC), but I haven't tested for hanging the gear change while cornering when not in sport mode (I just leave it in sport mode all the time unless I'm on a highway road trip). Another good reason to go out and use up some rubber !

On another point, my wife's 2014 Audi S5 cab turns into an entirely different car when it is in 'dynamic' mode. A noticable difference in every aspect of the driving experience except for braking. Also, the S5 has 'launch mode' which is just ever so cool. I don't wish for a manual transmission for my XKR, but I'd really like to have an 8 speed DCS transmission like the S5.

Best Regards, Fred

Old 09-27-2014, 05:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This forum is awesome

I just bought my XKR and I've learned so much from you people on this forum. Thanks very much. One of the main things I've learned is about the sports mode. I had not used it til I read about it on here. Some cocky guy in a Mercedes s amg tried to show off and race around me today. Oh no he was surprised.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Jandreu
Old thread but in sport mode the 6spd will not shift into overdrive or 6th gear as well as higher shift points for all gears.
Mine behaves somewhat differently. In sport mode it does shift into 6th, but only at ~ 70 MPH or higher.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:28 PM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by situbusitgooddog
Also from a stop the car will usually start in 2nd for a smoother ride but when it's in Sports mode it will use the 1st gear.
I've have always heard that our cars start in 2nd gear, unless in sport mode or using the J-gate to shift. Thing is, I am having a brake switch problem that intermittently prevents the car from shifting up from 1st regardless of whether it's in normal Drive, Sport Drive or J-gate "2nd". In order to upshift I have to swing the lever over to the left, select 2nd and then upshift to 3rd. Being stuck in 1st is no fun. You know for sure it ain't 2nd. I hope to replace the switch in the next couple of weeks. But in the meantime I usually use the J-gate to to start in 2nd (1st) and shift manually to ensure I don't stay in 1st.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:53 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Here I thought the "S" Switch was for the Snow Mode. I was waiting until I got my studded snows on to give it a test.