XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Is the spring packer wedge washer part required?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,441 Likes on 771 Posts
Default Is the spring packer wedge washer part required?

A few days ago the circlip that holds the spring seat in place failed while I was on the highway. Today I got down to disassembly and manage to remove the shock and spring assembly from the car. I then took the shock with me to a parts store and they were able to find the correct size circlip for the shock. The previous one was too large. I bought four of those to have spares. However, as part of the carnage, the Spring Packer wedge washer was destroyed. I only have two little 1 inch pieces left. I've searched all over the place and it seems no one sells the thing.

I went forum diving to see if anything would come up. A thread from about 2016 there the part number, MJA2162BB, revealed itself and that it is apparently discontinued. In fact, after finding the p/n, searching revealed nearly no results. SNG does not even have it in their parts diagrams for Road Spring and Damper. This spacer is wedge shaped and it has stops to align the spring. Given that finding this part is going to be tough, do I really need it? Can I reinstall the damper and coil assembly without it? Would that cause any problems?

I found these images that illustrate the part I am talking about. I circled it in red.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:12 PM
Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

When I took my front suspension apart for a rebuild, my spring packing washers fell apart on both sides. Like you, I discovered the part is unobtainable.
It's no longer in production and no one in the UK stocks them. I just added another black spring washer part no: MJA2162AA to try to ensure the correct ride height.

Nearly 2 years after doing the front suspension rebuild, the springs still seem to be in the right position and haven't moved out of line. I don't know how crucial the spring packing washers are but if you can't get them, you can't fit them. I have never seen used items for sale and if you could get them, I would imagine they would also be brittle and or broken.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DandyAndy
When I took my front suspension apart for a rebuild, my spring packing washers fell apart on both sides. Like you, I discovered the part is unobtainable.
It's no longer in production and no one in the UK stocks them. I just added another black spring washer part no: MJA2162AA to try to ensure the correct ride height.

Nearly 2 years after doing the front suspension rebuild, the springs still seem to be in the right position and haven't moved out of line. I don't know how crucial the spring packing washers are but if you can't get them, you can't fit them. I have never seen used items for sale and if you could get them, I would imagine they would also be brittle and or broken.
That's reassuring! Thank you! I was thinking I could fabricate them myself with a PVC wafer or a nylon wafer, but if they're not necessary I'm going to forgo them.

How many of MJA2162AA normally go on each side? On passenger side I have 2 of those, but on the driver's side I have 4, however, it's my driver's side that is missing the white one.

Last edited by giandanielxk8; 08-10-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:38 AM
Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I had two each side but it seems to vary. Once the front suspension has been reassembled, do a ride height check with the weight of the car on the wheels to see If it is level on both sides. Seems a bit strange to have 2 spacers one side and 4 on the other. Possibly the factory compensated if one of the springs was a bit weak compared to the other or a previous owner / garage had been bodging ?

Old 08-11-2019, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DandyAndy
I had two each side but it seems to vary. Once the front suspension has been reassembled, do a ride height check with the weight of the car on the wheels to see If it is level on both sides. Seems a bit strange to have 2 spacers one side and 4 on the other. Possibly the factory compensated if one of the springs was a bit weak compared to the other or a previous owner / garage had been bodging ?

No, it was my mistake the last time when I changed my shock mounts in Christmas. I must have not been paying attention to that.