XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Spring/Top ShockMount Repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 08:34 PM
Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Spring/Top ShockMount Repair

STLTHMSTA:
Read your comments in another Thread about installing Front Upper Shock Mounts and saw your new Stand Up Compressor. I asked you a question there, but there are so many comments in that thread, don't know if you ever saw it. What I wanted to know is where you got the upper and lower square blocks for the compressor. Did they come with your compressor or did you fabricate them yourself?
I have the same compressor I ordered from VEVOR (bad experience), but it only came with very crude spring plates in a cardboard box I'm surprised anything made the trip in. :-)

If you did the fabricating yourself would you consider making another set for me, pre paid personal and material cost of course.
Hoping for your response.

Chuck

Old 05-10-2021, 08:05 PM
Received 282 Likes on 164 Posts

Yes, I did reply in the other thread. I'm not sure about making more but I could check with my machinist and see if he's interested. Obviously his labor would be whatever shop time is and I can't say what an estimate would be. However, I have all the confidence in using these attachments. It is soooooooo much safer that what I originally had.
I should put this in my "safety thread" I started. TM

Old 05-10-2021, 09:42 PM

If and when you do talk to your machinist and can get a quote from him, would you be interested in being the go between man for me?
Have you had time to use your setup yet? I'm interested in how it worked out. I did get my compressor to work, but was moving with great caution, but I did get it to work. The compressor is so much better then trying to use the loaners from Auto Zone or the ones I purchased from HF. Anyway Tom, thanks for answering my question.
If you would rather PM me, my email is : vineyardman83@comcast.net
Again, thanks.

Chuck

Old 05-11-2021, 05:57 AM

Yes, I have used my compressor on 2 sessions, 4 front struts altogether. Easy Peasy. I have not tried it on the rear struts as I haven't gotten in to that yet. TM

Old 05-11-2021, 06:11 PM

Great Tom. Glad it works so well. The only thing wrong with the rear on my car was the spring top shock bushings were really worn out. Was getting a hard "clunk" from the rear end when going over some bad pot holes around construction sites, which we have a lot of around here lately----widening a much traveled highway.
Keep us posted.
Chuck

Last edited by Chuck Schexnayder; 05-11-2021 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:48 AM
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Tom n chuck,

I am following your thread...and wayne’s....
I am ready to do the front mounts & springs; I think my front shocks are good (no leakage)
and the rear shocks (leaking) and mounts (slight rattle/knock) springs should be ok.
So you guys are eluding to my question but I would like to be certain... does the compressor tool that you speak of work for both front and rear ?
and, if so, does it require a different adapter for each ?

many thanks,

max & XKRFACE

Old 05-16-2021, 07:22 PM

This is my compressor. The bare metal attachments are the pieces I had custom made. The ones that came with the compressor were not gonna cut it. So I thunk these up. In the first pic the strut is barely compressed so you can use that for reference. To answer the question, I don't know. I have not had my rear strut out and do not know of the dimensions of the top and bottom pieces. As is it will contain the springs in place without flying across the garage. Kinda the main point eh? LOL

The second pic is before compressing and inserting the shock. TM