XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Squishy, rattley Jag no more- front shock mounts & cats replaced. Thanks, motorcarman

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 08:58 PM
Received 154 Likes on 121 Posts
Default Squishy, rattley Jag no more- front shock mounts & cats replaced. Thanks, motorcarman

Ugh, I didn't realize how bad it had become until the front-passenger corner of my XKR was just hunched over, and the tires were bottoming out going over a pebble. And the catalytic converters (one at least) had been blown out and what was left of the guts were rattling around inside at idle and low speeds, clattering up an otherwise enjoyable drive.

After reviewing the threads on here, I knew the ride issue had to be the upper shock mounts and just ordered a new pair from Welsh a few weeks ago. And knowing I was now due for a state inspection, I ordered a new set of catalysts from Nameless Performance as well (earlier this summer- they were backordered for 2 months).

Due to time constraints as (the new) usual, I scheduled a time to drop the car off at our own motorcarman's shop nearby. He did a great job, and the front end sits back up properly and is much firmer. I'll be getting an alignment next week to make sure everything's dialed in properly, but what a difference. And no more groaning either (from me or the car)! There's no more clattering from scrap metal circling around inside the exhaust system anymore either, and the exhaust tone might actually sound a touch better. H-pipe, baffle box removal, and under-axle routing next (spring). Really feels like a more confident and competent GT car now.

(there's also a fitment issue with the O2 sensor angles that motorcarman discovered that I'll elaborate on in another thread shortly, but it works. he took photos which I'll share here and also need to send to Nameless.)

Ah, and I also replaced a bad coil pack a few hundred miles ago myself on cyl. 1 which took care of the CEL codes with one of the $55 eBay units. All's well. AT THE MOMENT... nothing is wrong... Just in time for top down weather in Texas, finally.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,362 Likes on 753 Posts

Glad to know all is on GO!
It will be interesting on the cat sensor placement. I wonder if it was for the better?

Wayne

Old 10-29-2015, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,391 Likes on 2,867 Posts

Kudos to Motorcarman. Between him and Brutal, those areas of Texas are in great hands....

Old 10-29-2015, 08:07 AM
Received 569 Likes on 275 Posts

Congrats on your successful replacement of the worn items. Know you are pleased with the ride. We just completed replacement of the upper shock mounts with a complete Poly kit from Welsh Ent. and new Bilstein shocks. Others have advised the OEM mounts are easiest and probably best value, but after seeing the condition of the OEM, we wanted the Poly. The Poly kit came with the 2 small (per side)donuts and the large coil donut (1 per side) plus we purchased the Poly front spring assister cone (1 per side). Costs of these items were same as the new OEM mounts plus our labor, but they should not need replacement due to "shrinking" failure. The front end is back at factory ride height from a low of 14" on left and 14.5" on right side. Ride and steering is more stable(solid). The extra labors to rebuild the 2 mounts were less than a hour to drill 6 rivets (3 per mount) , cleaned, lubed and reassembled with 6 new pop rivets. Parts were ordered on Monday AM from Welsh and arrived on Thursday, QUICK! We know Poly kits are not for everyone, but our past experience made us choose them. Just like a tight suspension and solid feel. Rest of front suspension cked OK. SAFETY FASTER!

Last edited by kstevusa; 10-29-2015 at 08:09 AM.