XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

"Stability System Fail"???

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Default "Stability System Fail"???

Several times on my trip I had that warning show up on my cluster. At first I thought it was related to downshifting while going through twisties or down steep grades. But when it happened 3 times without moving the shifter...and driving over "cattle guards" on the highway I think it is relates to the jostling of the suspension. Each time it would go back to normal after stopping for a break and restaring.

So....what would cause the monitor to set off just by going over some bumps?? Something loose in the sensor system?

Last edited by oldjaglover; 08-06-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:49 PM

Oh...I had a few other little glitches in the past few days of driving that I'm curious about. First, my door locks started repeating the open/close process several times, and fighting me when I use the key to open and roll the windows down. And, my mirror seems to have lost its compass. So, I have disconnected the battery for awhile and will do some 're-educating" they system. I hope it will help.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:16 PM
Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

That's interesting as I am experiencing exactly the same two issues. I have had the warning a couple of times, usually after I have been driving for a while, but it disappears after I restart the car and the door locks have been doing the open shut cycle for a few days now. I had the door lock issue earlier last year, but it sorted itself out, until now, that is!

I suspect the warning is a dodgy sensor, or a connection, but time will tell if it gets worse and stays on for longer.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stability Control / Traction Control Fail?

Greetings -

I was just doing a search on "stability control" and came upon this thread.

Four days ago I bought a 1997 XK8. This morning I also saw "Stability Control Fail" followed by "Traction Control Fail" on the dash. The car's driving and handling did not seem to be affected at all. I parked and turned off the car and let it sit for about 30 seconds. When I started it up again the warnings were gone.

I'm not sure what I should be concerned about. I do have worn tires and bad alignment, but I'm getting that resolved this evening. Everything else on the car seems to be fine (knock on wood).

Thanks all -

Old 08-08-2012, 12:23 PM

The battery disconnect has reset some of the issues...like the door locks...but I still don't see the compass reading on the mirror, and since I haven't started or driven it I'm not sure about the SS warning. I'm gonna wait until it drops below 105+ to take it out for a drive, though.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

The stability and traction control warnings can come on after driving through water and the wheel sensor gets wet. Happens to me once a year usually after a spring rain. pophen

Old 08-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Sensor Wire

I just repaired a 1999 XK that had the same problem, as well as the ABS light coming on from time to time. There was a broken wire on the passenger side ABS sensor. The wire was broken about 1 inch from where the wire plugs into the sensor. When you pulled on the wire the connection would be broken.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by lmac1129
I just repaired a 1999 XK that had the same problem, as well as the ABS light coming on from time to time. There was a broken wire on the passenger side ABS sensor. The wire was broken about 1 inch from where the wire plugs into the sensor. When you pulled on the wire the connection would be broken.
This is a common problem...the dealer usually replaces the wire when they replace the sensor as the wires fail internally (tiny wires, can't take the constant motion). This procedure saves another trip to the dealer and a diagnostic fee.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by oldmots
This is a common problem...the dealer usually replaces the wire when they replace the sensor as the wires fail internally (tiny wires, can't take the constant motion). This procedure saves another trip to the dealer and a diagnostic fee.
I'm guessing that the sensor/wires could have been disturbed when I replaced the shocks/mounts/bushings? That might explain it setting off when I drove over sharp bumps? So, where exactly do I look for the malfunctioning piece?

Oh, yes...the ABS light came on at the same time.