XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Stainless Steel Brake Lines for non-Brembo Applications

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 493 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Stainless Steel Brake Lines for non-Brembo Applications

I am considering replacing my spongy rubber brake lines with stainless [over teflon] steel flex lines. The Goodrich kit is the only shelf item I can source; however, it is for the Brembo calipers on the big brake Jags.

Most of the existing kits for other vehicles are sized in either AN (JIC) or UNF standards. Currently I am thinking about using a standard length AN line like Earl's Speed–Flex Line, and adapting the end fittings to our flared line ends and calipers through the use of AN to metric bulkhead fittings and/or banjo bolts. Earls and Aeroquip both have a good assortment of prefabricated swaged steel flex hose in various lengths.

There are a number of sources for brake line connectors and adaptors like Pegasus. Even Earls and Aeroquip carry a wide assortment.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gro...=BRAKEADAPTMET

Before I dive into the project, I want to know if there is any obvious downside to this type of conversion using adapted parts.

Below are catalog pics from Earls:

Gordo

Attached Thumbnails Stainless Steel Brake Lines for non-Brembo Applications-front.line.jpg   Stainless Steel Brake Lines for non-Brembo Applications-3anx10mm.jpg   Stainless Steel Brake Lines for non-Brembo Applications-banjo-end.jpg  
Old 02-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by GordoCatCar
I am considering replacing my spongy rubber brake lines with stainless [over teflon] steel flex lines. The Goodrich kit is the only shelf item I can source; however, it is for the Brembo calipers on the big brake Jags.

Most of the existing kits for other vehicles are sized in either AN (JIC) or UNF standards. Currently I am thinking about using a standard length AN line like Earl's Speed–Flex Line, and adapting the end fittings to our flared line ends and calipers through the use of AN to metric bulkhead fittings and/or banjo bolts. Earls and Aeroquip both have a good assortment of prefabricated swaged steel flex hose in various lengths.

There are a number of sources for brake line connectors and adaptors like Pegasus. Even Earls and Aeroquip carry a wide assortment.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gro...=BRAKEADAPTMET

Before I dive into the project, I want to know if there is any obvious downside to this type of conversion using adapted parts.

Below are catalog pics from Earls:

Gordo
Gordo,

Give these guys a call and see if they can help you with the SS flex lines:
FRSport.com
3940 W Segerstrom Ave
Santa Ana, CA 92704

toll free: 866-507-6853
phone: 714-515-4001
fax: 714-557-4223
Good luck