XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Stainless steel exhausts in the U.K

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 06:24 AM
Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Stainless steel exhausts in the U.K

Hi, have been looking for a stainless steel exhaust for my XK8, one which does NOT go over the rear axel. Have seen a few on ebay for around the £500 mark, they are called back cat exhausts which I presume means everything behind the cat. There is one place which I liked the look of as the exhaust is sent out in component form rather than the car be taken to the garage ( which for me will always be a long trip living in the frozen North ).
Here is the ebay site : JAGUAR XK8 4.0 / 4.2 STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST SYSTEM | eBay

Anyone know anything about this firm or can recommend where to get a custom made S.S system?
If the company are O.K may be worth while approaching for a club buy or group discount as they list the exhaust for " offers ", would probably be worth offering around the £450 if say 6 were ordered at the same time???
Any thoughts????

Old 12-18-2013, 08:07 AM
GGG
Received 16,858 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by ArtyH
........... the exhaust is sent out in component form rather than the car be taken to the garage ( which for me will always be a long trip living in the frozen North ). .........
Arty,

If your passport is in order and your convictions are spent, you can make the 20 mile trek south to Newcastle-upon-Tyne. We have electricity, running water and garages down here.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
ArtyH (12-18-2013)
Old 12-18-2013, 10:20 AM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

There's a garage I was recommended in Leeds. I'll dig out the details when I get home. Tony Banks I think. Anyhow they do a full cat back stainless exhaust to your spec for £299+vat inc fitted.

The following users liked this post:
ArtyH (12-18-2013)
Old 12-18-2013, 11:39 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by jodypress
There's a garage I was recommended in Leeds. I'll dig out the details when I get home. Tony Banks I think. Anyhow they do a full cat back stainless exhaust to your spec for £299+vat inc fitted.

That sounds great jodypress, my son is at Leeds Uni doing his masters in music tech. It would be great to get the exhaust done and visit him at the same time. Would appreciate any info you have, many thanks for the heads up.

Graham, went to check the car today spent two minutes looking it over and then left as it was to cold to stand and admire. Outside temp was just above zero but the wind was making it feel colder, glade I have a coupe for such times. ;-)

Old 12-18-2013, 12:20 PM

Arty,

I've checked and it is indeed Tony Banks garage I spoke to.

Custom Exhausts By Tony Banks

They will make it for you on the spot. They charge £299+vat for stainless with a 10 year warranty and quoted £399 for a higher grade material which has a lifetime warranty.

They can tune it to however you like. I.e remove whichever set of silencers or reduce them.

I'm personally considering Electric exhaust cut offs and am currently investigating options.

Good luck,

Jody

Old 12-19-2013, 01:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

I would be wary...... Cheap exhausts are cheap for a reason...... Because they are rubbish!

I must admit I have only heard good things about Tony Banks so I can not comment there

What I can comment on is...... A short story.... I just purchased an XJR from up north (as far as I am concerned Huddersfield is north!) this I was told came with a bespoke stainless exhaust, bought via eBay for £500, you pay your money take your car and hey presto all is done..... I have never seen such a pile of sh#t in my life! very low grade stainless as it looks so rusty it is not funny! as bad as the original system! The baffles in the boxes are obviously steel as they are rattling and nearly rusted out, the casing is stainless but again poor quality....... Not impressed would be putting it lightly......

I have said this many times if you are buying an exhaust and you pay less than a grand, don't expect it to last! If you do, make sure it comes with a lifetime guarantee, you will be using it...... A lot!!

Last edited by XKRacer; 12-19-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:53 AM

Xkracer I understand where you're coming from. I personally haven't used Tony Banks but I've also only heard good things about them and when I spoke with them on the phone they've done plenty of XK's. As previously mentioned they also provide a warranty too.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:24 AM

Thanks for the info guy's. XKracer your comments are exactly why I posted the question, and it seems to have divided opinion. If its s.s I would not buy one without a g/tee, I think it would be folly to. However even a standard m.s exhaust is going to be several hundred pounds and I believe both my 1996 XJS and the 1999 XK8 have original pipes in situ. I'm just looking for a good value system recommended by people who have experience or knowledge of suppliers. The units supplied by Tony Banks seem to be worth consideration, and if they can do one of the X shaped ones which do not go over the rear drive train I would be seriously interested.
In truth I am trying to keep my enthusiasm high during the winter as the car is doing nothing sitting in storage. Hopefully I will not need a new system this year, just being prepared should it be necessary.
I greatly appreciate all the advice given, thanks again.
Cheers, ArtyH