XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Start to the third day of ownership...!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 09:29 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Not a very sexy venue for a glamor shot...but here she sits...

Attached Thumbnails Start to the third day of ownership...!-photo1_zpsd864c06a.jpg  
Old 04-28-2013, 09:35 AM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

JC,

Very nice. I like the silver. You now have either an avatar or signature picture. Again, enjoy. You have had a miserable winter and it's time to party with your new best friend.

Dave

Old 04-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Hey JazzCat,
Welcome, and it seems we don't have to tell you to enjoy that "new" cat of yours. I'm about 5 years older but I still enjoy some "spirited" stoplight jaunts. I have to say that the 3+ years of ownership and 60K miles' worth of driving of my 2002 XKR has been both frustrating and rewarding. But finally, (and I hate to jinx myself) with almost 120,000 miles on it now, it is running more reliably, stronger, and without any of the idiot lights going on than at any time since I bought it. That is actually a tribute to how well built these cars really are. What I have found is a) the XK8/R is classically beautiful and garners more compliments than any other car I have ever owned, b) after you finally get rid of all the nuisances, it's easily converted to an enjoyable daily driver, c) because of the previous two reasons, I just don't drive my other sports cars anymore. They (especially the Pantera) just take too much effort and the XKR is just so easy to drive, drive quickly, and drive with the top down nearly every day of the year. Enjoy!

Old 04-28-2013, 10:30 AM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

As you are finding, these things will keep you young. I am on my second and I believe there is a 3rd in my future. Maybe an XKR once I get my college-aged daredevils out of my house and on their own!

Old 05-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

JazzCat - welcome to JagLand! The picture of your car makes it look very much like my '03 XK8 (see my avatar) in Zircon Blue. I'm just starting my third YEAR with mine and nothing has changed from the first day when it comes to the sheer pleasure of driving this vehicle and the reactions it gets from anyone remotely interested. If you are minimally mechanically able, the DIY stuff on the forum will keep your Cat in good shape. Enjoy!

Old 05-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New XK8

Since when is 55 considered old? I am 75 and just got my 97 XK8 last month and am really enjoying it as it has been top down weather here in Rochester, NY. Tey are great looking cars and relatively rare up here in this area. Enjoy your new ride, I am.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 515 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazz Cat
Welp, I picked up my silver '01 convertible, two days ago at 2pm. Logged 150 miles the first two days.

Today is the third morning. Ordered my vanity plate yesterday "JAZZ CAT".

A few observations...

Are all horns, this wimpy?

Being a former Vette owner, I can say the XK's are much more rare and twice as much car (at MORE than twice the price).

The standard brakes (with the optional 18" wheels), are stellar. I couldn't imagin a Brembo up-grade !

I honestly feel I'm doing the public a favor, taking her out and showing her off....She gets ALOT of attention, omg !

While shopping, I only saw TWO actually on the highways (and I'm in the "Chicagoland" metro area, with 9 million people) The others I had to seek out, for sale.

I'll must say....all the reading on the forum here, about problems, really bothers me. I admitt, I read here for months and STILL went forward with a purchase....
Had my 02 XK8 for about two months and it's been in the shop for three weeks off and on. I'm dealing with all the things the previous owner ignored but now he's about ready for the road! I suggest if you have the hydraulic top hose issue rear their head, simply get them replaced with after market replacements, not factory.
Even with all the issues I've had to deal with since purchase, I'd never go back!!!LOVE this car!!!! (My 2010 XF is getting ticked off! I swear at night he plays mischief with my XK8 to keep him in the shop!)

Old 05-06-2013, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 515 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
Hey JazzCat,
Welcome, and it seems we don't have to tell you to enjoy that "new" cat of yours. I'm about 5 years older but I still enjoy some "spirited" stoplight jaunts. I have to say that the 3+ years of ownership and 60K miles' worth of driving of my 2002 XKR has been both frustrating and rewarding. But finally, (and I hate to jinx myself) with almost 120,000 miles on it now, it is running more reliably, stronger, and without any of the idiot lights going on than at any time since I bought it. That is actually a tribute to how well built these cars really are. What I have found is a) the XK8/R is classically beautiful and garners more compliments than any other car I have ever owned, b) after you finally get rid of all the nuisances, it's easily converted to an enjoyable daily driver, c) because of the previous two reasons, I just don't drive my other sports cars anymore. They (especially the Pantera) just take too much effort and the XKR is just so easy to drive, drive quickly, and drive with the top down nearly every day of the year. Enjoy!
Well Said!! I never thought my XK8 would be my daily driver but I honestly enjoy it more than my XF

Old 05-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JazzCat, what year Vette did you upgrade from? What are your thoughts on the xk8 vs the Vette?

I'm over in Romeoville and contemplating an XK to replace my '94 Corvette.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by rboote
JazzCat, what year Vette did you upgrade from? What are your thoughts on the xk8 vs the Vette?

I had a '92 LT1 coupe, every option, back in '93-'98.

The Jag XK8 is much more rare, and twice the vehicle (at more than twice the price).

The Vette is faster and quicker............but there's always something faster and quicker

Your liable to see 10 Corvettes durring a 1/2 hour drive.......I haven't seen another XK8/R since i bought mine....

Old 05-13-2013, 08:16 AM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rboote

Not trying to answer Jazz Cat's question but I had a '94 vert Vette before getting my first XK8.
I found them as different as night and day. The Corvette (with the 6 speed) was the most fun car to drive that I ever owned but no room whatsoever. I couldn't even put the top down with 2small suitcases on a weekend trip. It was however in my opinion, a true sports car.
The Jag on the other hand I don't find particularly thrilling to drive. It's definitely a touring car. My wife and I can put 2 golf bags in the trunk, a couple of small suitcases in what they call a back seat,top up OR down, no problem.
Always wanted an XK8 since I first saw one, (its resemblance to the E type is what hooked me) and now on my second XK8.
Which one do I like best? The Jag hands down. Times ten!
Planning to keep mine forever.
2X

Old 05-13-2013, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndxk8
Not trying to answer Jazz Cat's question but I had a '94 vert Vette before getting my first XK8.
I found them as different as night and day. The Corvette (with the 6 speed) was the most fun car to drive that I ever owned but no room whatsoever. I couldn't even put the top down with 2small suitcases on a weekend trip. It was however in my opinion, a true sports car.
The Jag on the other hand I don't find particularly thrilling to drive. It's definitely a touring car. My wife and I can put 2 golf bags in the trunk, a couple of small suitcases in what they call a back seat,top up OR down, no problem.
Always wanted an XK8 since I first saw one, (its resemblance to the E type is what hooked me) and now on my second XK8.
Which one do I like best? The Jag hands down. Times ten!
Planning to keep mine forever.
2X
I had a 95 Coupe and never considered ANY Corvette since the C3 to be a "true sports car" but rather a sporty muscle car. In terms of pure kick-*** fun I always enjoyed driving the Corvette rather than the XKR during the time I had both. Also, while getting in and out of the Corvette was a bit of a struggle, once inside it was the most comfortable car I have ever driven (at least for me). Spending any more than about an hour in the XKR often results in cramping in my right thigh (this has been discussed elsewhere).

In terms of sheer beauty and perfection of design, the XKR wins hands down compared with virtually ANY other car out there. Never fails to get admiring looks that elicit compliments.

Doug

Old 05-13-2013, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Grats on your new (to you) car! You know you're supposed to post pictures when you do this right?

Originally Posted by DaveC
1. Living in the SF bay area I don't see more than 1 or 2 XKs in a week let alone in one day. Either there are a lot of them in your area or you are really, really looking.
I've seen as many as 4 in one day here. I usually don't see any, but I know of at least 6 different XK's in the immediate area and it seems I see another 'unknown' one every couple of months. Most of them are XK8's though.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:39 AM

Back around '96, I had had the vette a few years. I was reading a Road&Track mag and there was a small photo of an XK coupe with what must have been an Arden kit on it. I was knocked out with the body lines and almost instantly thought I wanted one.......untill.....I saw the price

Old 05-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazz Cat
Back around '96, I had had the vette a few years. I was reading a Road&Track mag and there was a small photo of an XK coupe with what must have been an Arden kit on it. I was knocked out with the body lines and almost instantly thought I wanted one.......untill.....I saw the price

Pricing was the biggest surprise to me for these cars but in the opposite way. Knowing the original sticker and assuming these cars had the same allure as the original E-type, I just figured these would also be untouchable on the resale market. Imagine my surprise when in 2008 I came across 3 or 4 year old samples starting as low as $20K+. These are an absolute steal.

Doug

Old 05-14-2013, 03:03 PM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree, a lot of car for the money!
As I said before, the Vette was more thrilling but the Jag is far more satisfying!
2X