p1316
p1336
p100

thanks, please tell me what this means

Old 04-22-2014, 07:33 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Now that you have the codes remember that they give you a start in finding the problem. This is a list of the codes for your car.

Link http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...%201997-99.pdf

Your P0306 could be a failed spark plug or coil but it could also be water or oil in the plug well of #6 cylinder. The P1316 is telling you that you had a misfire on one of the cylinders and that was captured when the P0306 took place. Now the P1336 is for the crank position sensor and that would prevent your car from starting. My suggestion would be to correct the misfire and replace the crank position sensor clear the codes and see what takes place.

The following users liked this post:
pmheindl (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 09:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gus
Now that you have the codes remember that they give you a start in finding the problem. This is a list of the codes for your car.

Your P0306 could be a failed spark plug or coil but it could also be water or oil in the plug well of #6 cylinder. The P1316 is telling you that you had a misfire on one of the cylinders and that was captured when the P0306 took place. Now the P1336 is for the crank position sensor and that would prevent your car from starting. My suggestion would be to correct the misfire and replace the crank position sensor clear the codes and see what takes place.

Thank you, I'm feeling better already. Where is the best place to get parts, i.e. the crank position sensor? The P1000 indicated the diagnostic were not complete? This is a little confusing.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Gus

How do I correct the misfire? Change the spark plug(s)? Coil? Any routine maintenance that I should consider in conjunction. Used to change points, plugs and use a timing light to do a tune up? Long time ago.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Swap the suspect coil with one from another cylinder. If the misfire code follows the coil, then you know that you have a bad coil.

pmheindl (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 02:47 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

As for the P1000 is only for you emissions and not for you to be concerned just yet, you can look it up on the chart I provided for you. As for the crank position sensor this forum and my page have several links to parts suppliers.

I see that Steve provided you a little information on the #6 cylinder misfire. Just remember this is not your fathers Buick so things will be a little different Tach and dwell and timing lights are a thing of the past. I have a lot of info on my page that might help if you wish to look.

pmheindl (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 08:26 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

Ok, lets slow down here, previously you said the codes were only abs, but now something totally different.

Its not a coil pack doing this.I can remove two coil packs and start this car.

Its the crank sensor. Lets face it, your never going to be able to disconnect the fastener and reconnect the new on and run the wire. Jaguar buried this behind 6 hours worth of mechanical removal and installation of engine components and no one here can help you.

What you will find is the tip of it messed up and the first inch of wiring not usable.

All you do is cut the oem wiring harness close to the OEM sensor as possible of good wire

, so you have plenty of wire to tap onto your new sensor and its wire.

Use heat shrink tubing over the two connections,. You can solder the connection or just twist the wires together,either will work fine, as long as its not hanging low to the ground.

You will need a 8mm wrench,no socket will ever work, its in the center of the tranny face area.

Part 2. You will notice a ground strap wire on the passenger side going to the tranny, it will be toasted green.This strap is responsible for the sensors failure and alternator failure to come and other gremlins.

Jaguar made sure you could not replace this strap without removing the tranny, because the bolt will not come out enough to allow its release.
Simply run a new wire-(amplifier wire is fine), and a slotted connection to the tranny bolt,and regular circular connection to the passenger bolt.

Your car will act like a new beast afterword and start up instantly.

Last edited by aode06; 04-23-2014 at 08:29 AM.
pmheindl (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by aode06
Ok, lets slow down here, previously you said the codes were only abs, but now something totally different.

Its not a coil pack doing this.I can remove two coil packs and start this car.

Its the crank sensor. Lets face it, your never going to be able to disconnect the fastener and reconnect the new on and run the wire. Jaguar buried this behind 6 hours worth of mechanical removal and installation of engine components and no one here can help you.

What you will find is the tip of it messed up and the first inch of wiring not usable.

All you do is cut the oem wiring harness close to the OEM sensor as possible of good wire

, so you have plenty of wire to tap onto your new sensor and its wire.

Use heat shrink tubing over the two connections,. You can solder the connection or just twist the wires together,either will work fine, as long as its not hanging low to the ground.

You will need a 8mm wrench,no socket will ever work, its in the center of the tranny face area.

Part 2. You will notice a ground strap wire on the passenger side going to the tranny, it will be toasted green.This strap is responsible for the sensors failure and alternator failure to come and other gremlins.

Jaguar made sure you could not replace this strap without removing the tranny, because the bolt will not come out enough to allow its release.
Simply run a new wire-(amplifier wire is fine), and a slotted connection to the tranny bolt,and regular circular connection to the passenger bolt.

Your car will act like a new beast afterword and start up instantly.

I am most appreciative of your help here. When I spoke of abs codes before I was referring to the dash panel, I had not read the codes at that time.

I must admit that I did not follow your post very well even though you went to great lengths to explain it. Would it be expensive to pay a mechanic to do this?

If will reread and study your post but if I am understanding you correctly, are you saying to leave the present crank in place and disable it and put another in place in order to avoid the impossible job of removing the old one? I like your approach I just want to make sure I understand you clearly.

Just to be clear, the car starts most of the time as long as I "hold my mouth right" that is hit the gas pedal once it tries to crank. Then on occasion I will not get it started the first time and then it does not seem to want to fire absent a long rest period.

Is there a definitive test to diagnose a bad crank sensor as the problem. Again, I like your approach. I am going to do some further reading on this and see if I can locate the sensor and the strap you referenced while I await your response and try to understand this.

Thanks again.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:25 AM

Is the crank sensor the same as the TPS? I am not finding a lot when I search for cranks sensor?

Old 04-23-2014, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,812 Likes on 2,242 Posts

Try CKPS or crankshaft position sensor.

pmheindl (04-23-2014)