XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

To stay or to go?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb To stay or to go?

Hello all. While I have whored myself around other car forums this is among my first times here. Unfortunately, it is not a good one. Thanks to the folks over in the "engine compatibility" thread for the info I needed there.

I don't know what to do and could use some advice as I have literally gone back and forth by the minute the last 48 hours on what to do with my situation here...

August 12th - Purchase 1997 XK8 Coupe with 48,372 original miles as "weekend/special event" car for $11,000 from private owner. Beautiful condition in and out, purred like a kitten without subtle vibration. Clean title, gorgeous carfax with routine service and "XK issues" already dealt with. ECU replaced @ 14K; Throttle body replaced @ 24K; Engine mounts and thermostat @ 42K all by dealer.

November 2nd - 49,393 miles. Fails NJ Inspection for suspension. New power steering rack assembly, wheel bearing, brake pads etc. - $2,281.61

November 30th - 49,545 miles. After $487 worth of tests by two garages 4.0 liter engine pronounced dead by dealer. "Extremely low compression and plugs fouled. Noise heard from chains or bottom end. Cylinder 3 had 30 pounds of pressure." Suggested cost of new engine from Jag dealer - $11,125.00

Obviously a new engine from Jag will NOT happen. I can, however, get a used engine installed for $5-7,000. I can't decide whether to cut my losses on this thing and sprint away from it or invest and keep it for life (knowing if I do invest I will be buried in the car and rolled into an ocean upon my death). So all in all I've got about $13,700 in this thing in 3 months. Does anyone know about what this thing would be worth to a garage or junkyard or Ebay mechanic looking to turn a buck?

What should I do?

Thanks in advance. I wish to hell I wouldn't need this advice.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Is that 5 to 7 k for a short block. Because everything you have going for you it sounds like all you need is a short block. I would imagine you got bit by the nickasil/tensioner jag1n1 virus.

While it is true these are expensive vehicles and they cost more to fix!

All cars break. but nothing will ever look as good as your jag.

short block it and keep it.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:02 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Damn, I feel your pain! I'm sorry that I don't have any real insight for you, as I have pondered this sad situation and I don't know exactly what I would do either. This is such a tough situation as the prices for newer Jags are dropping like the proverbial Lead Balloons! I can't believe how inexpensive a 2006 XKR is these days! The 97 XK8 will always be gorgeous...................but you will have other issues to deal with down the road. In 5 years or so, you may well be looking back wishing that you cut your losses and picked up a 2003-2006 model. They are extremely attractively priced right now...............but how do you sleep at night if you take a $13,700 loss by walking away from your '97? Have you asked the Dealership what the Trade-In value would be? I believe that Jag Tech Ohio is sometimes in the market for these type deals, as he has the ability to repair them himself. He could probably shed some very experienced light on this particular issue. What are your thoughts JTO?
In any case, best of luck to you, I hope that you find a good solution that survives the test of time..............and practical economics!
Brian

Old 12-03-2009, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

It depends on what is wrong. If a head is ruined by tensioner failure and the consequent bent valves, you can replace the head with a good used one cheap, just get all the tensioners replaced in the process. If the block is shot, I would part the car out on ebay, but you need to be able to take the car apart to do this. There are a lot of used engines for these cars out there, if you can find a good running one and get it shipped and installed cheap, this might be the way to go. It will take soem research to decide what is the best way to go. JagTechOhio replaces these engines for pretty good prices, you might try to find him.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

For not much more than that, I can get a rebuilt engine to you with the latest time chain tensioners and steel sleeves instead of Nikisil. Looking at about $7 k after shipping and refund on the core. You would have to have it installed, but you are putting in a rebuilt and not a used engine that you hope is good.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Ouch, i agree the tensioner's got ya sounds like.

If it were me, and the car was paid off, I'd invest in the newly rebuilt engine...unless you can find a local independent mechanic to rebuild yours and repair all the damage.

Sounds like the car will be solid after that...unless you want to consider a little tranny work while it's in the shop, get the a-drum replaced proactively.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:11 PM

Thanks for the input and advice, all. I actually went back and forth all last week about it. I went so far as to put it on Craiglist so I had made my mind about selling it. Then George from Don's Jag Service in Flemington NJ called me and said from my story it might just be tensioners and bent valves. It was towed to his shop late Friday and after starting it up he thinks that's what it is. So as of now, if he can fix it for under 5 grand I'm going to keep it; if not I'll be selling it.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Smile

Good luck anXKinNJ. I hope you end up with a pleasant surprise on the costs.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:37 AM

Hi,
Please let us know the final outcome.
Brian

Old 12-13-2009, 12:45 PM

Thanks everyone for the support. The car is fixed and back home. Runs like a champ. It was the chains afterall (and some other stuff as a result). One of the worst cases they said they had seen but luckily the damage otherwise wasn't too extensive. The ONLY thing he said in the car's favor was from what he could tell internally the engine was one of the cleanest for a 12 year old car he's seen. So another $4600 later and it's back home. Took it out Friday night and it ran great. So now its job is to win me over emotionally because right now after all this drama in just a few months we're still fighting in a big way.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:14 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm sorry to personnify your car but maybe she was waiting for someone to come along and give her the care and attention she deserves. Good luck and enjoy her. She's beautiful.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:25 AM

A nice ending to the sad story!
Brian

Old 12-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Veteran member

Glad she was repaired, when you say the 'chains', you mean the tensioners were replaced as well, correct?

Give her time, she'll win you over again.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy
Glad she was repaired, when you say the 'chains', you mean the tensioners were replaced as well, correct?

Give her time, she'll win you over again.
Thanks I hope so. Tensioners, yes...among some other stuff.

So you guys with XKs, is the service bullitin on the throttle body from Jaguar worth it to get done? When it was at the dealer my service guy told me about it and said it expires at the end of the month. Due to the condition at the car at the time they said they couldn't do it then. To take it back (without a loaner issued; they won't) would be a big pain in the *** for me. It it really necessary? Service guy just said it was a throttle body adjustment. I tried a search for this and couldn't quite find anything on it here.

Thanks

Old 12-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts
Old 12-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Veteran member

I'd get whatever the TSB was for, even if for the ECM reprogramming. Make an appointment and see if you can make it more convenient for your schedule. Ultimately up to you though.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:24 PM
Location: Capitola, Calif - beach town - sunny side of Monterey Bay

I'd certainly recommend getting a new throttle body for free since if it goes haywire on you, it'll be a $2300 bill. Jaguar didn't issue a recall bacause they were problem free.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:40 PM

Went ahead and took it in. Tried to get the guy I had dealt with earlier during the engine catastrophe; he was unavailable so I got another guy. Funny how this little chump I spoke with to make an appointment said there was no way I could bring it in and drop it off because 3:00pm was way too late on a Friday (of course I was planning to leave it with them anyway). When I questioned he went on to say that if they weren't going to work on it Friday when I brought it in there would be "major insurance considerations" leaving it in their lot overnight. Um, this was the same dealer who had my car in their lot for 8 days following the "engine failure". I didn't say another word; hung up, left a message for my service guy Joe that I was bringing it in. Not only did he take it, but knowing they weren't going to get to it Friday, Joe personally drove it inside the garage (which was brilliant considering they got over a foot of snow yesterday). Getting screwed can have its perks later on I guess. I'm still thinking about writing Jag to complain about that dealer for the whole "new engine" fiasco and the $300 it cost me for that false diagnosis.

At any rate the recall is being performed (9 days before its expiration) and I'm very happy I decided on a key tag for the car instead of a toe tag. Thanks again for everyone's help and advice!

Old 12-21-2009, 09:43 AM
Veteran member

Good call NJ, you can now sleep better after both of these services are finished.