Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Column signal switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile Steering Column signal switch

Howdy Folks!!...
Just a quickie... could one of you with an JTIS cd please give me the R&R time on a Steering Wheel column signal/headlight switch? I just bought one today, and as I shop around the "Indies" I'd like to have some insight on time involved. On most things Jaguar (engine work or things purtaining purely to Jag), I'd take her up to Portland Oregon, to my favorite Jag Tech. But you would think that a signal switch in the stering column wouldn't be any great feat. Now (at long last) the only things left are two front seat upholsters and the correct running lights. Somebody just shoved in two running light from something else and left it. It looked like the originals were busted out. I have to figure out how to remove the old housings and put in some OEM lights (around $300 piasters...). I've already done the tensioners and related, VVT solinoids, water pump,coolant and front hoses flushed and replaced, spark plugs and all top end gaskets, new throttle body, rear speakers, antennea mast, coolant expansion tank, tires, tranny serviced...and by Damn...I'm just about done (and broke...;>))))
Thanks
Fred

Old 06-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

You are going to have a new car in your hands very soon!! Congratulations!

Old 06-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 215 Posts

By running lights do you mean the side markers or the fog lights? I bought used fogs for $100. You need to drop the fascia for easy access. Not a difficult job. Actually pretty easy considering how confusing it might appear in the beginning. I can get my fascia off in less than an hour... after practicing this task a couple of times. Tires off, fender well liner out and then three bolts on each side holding it to the fender, and six across the front top on the radiator support bulkhead. Raise the hood to the vertical 'service position'.

If you mean the side running lights, I bought a new one for under $50 including bulb. Access is via the fenderwell. The tire is removed and the plastic fender well liner is pulled. Again pretty easy.

Not sure about your light stalk and gear. It appears only the steering column covers need to be removed and access to the stalk attachment points should be right there. A couple of hours maybe.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

hafferf, the Jag Parts Diagrams (whom I reference like every other day!!!) shows 0.8 hour for turn signal stalk R&R (pg 641). I'd double that for an indy though, they're not as efficient and as practiced as a jag dealer, plus the dealer usually has to stick with their documented R&R times, even if it goes longer (but they are rewarded, I believe, if it takes less time)

Did you not take a few minutes to download the documents yet from our FAQ thread?

its the Parts 1 & 2 pdf files, titled Parts List and Diagrams.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Thank you fellas for your reply. I guess I mean Fog Lights... and I have now accessed that FAQ and copied the pdf files to "My Documents"... a veritable plethora of usefull tid-bits h2oboy...thank you... And hlgeorge...I forgot ... I also replaced my console lid w/cupholder
... another couple'a hunnert smackers... At least I'll know whats in this car... I do love it though
Thanks again
Fred