XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Stick up an down steering column fix...FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

Are there any good photos somewhere that show details of the various parts and pieces that you guys are talking about?

Doug

Old 08-18-2015, 10:34 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

[A follow up....... After finding it was working smoothly without tripping out I reinstalled the spring (after flattening the curve to about 1/2 what it was). It continues to work properly and I feel better having the spring in place (has you know there is a good chance it was there for a reason).

Last edited by Jimincalif; 08-18-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:33 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Make sure you clean out all the old grease from the gears too

I followed these directions and along with flattening the washer (and putting it back in after trying it without the washer first) I cleaned all the gears thoroughly. I made sure all the old grease was off the gears and I was starting with totally new grease. The first couple of times I used it normally it stuck on the down motion and I used manual lever to bring it down. However, after the first couple of times it has operated correctly every time. The trip on the motor (so you do not burn out the motor) is very sensitive and will trip at the slightest bind, so you have to clean it well. My motor now is super quiet and very smooth.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:22 PM
Received 78 Likes on 25 Posts

after the first couple of times it has operated correctly every time
I got this behavior as well. Chances are that on the first trial after re-assembly, the potentiometer range is out of sync with the mechanical range of the steering. The potentiometer reaches end-of-travel before the steering is fully up or down. This is when the friction in the gear set starts sliding with 2 benefits: preventing to break the gear set or the potentiometer and providing a self calibration procedure.

And yes, I vote for this as number 1 solution: clean the old grease and put new silicon grease.

Last edited by bballarin; 09-01-2015 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just did mine,works great. Did not take the motor apart just the little box. Sprayed contact cleaner inside and removed the tensioner ring.. Now if I could get that airbag light to go off….

Old 11-06-2015, 01:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by monster48
Just did mine,works great. Did not take the motor apart just the little box. Sprayed contact cleaner inside and removed the tensioner ring.. Now if I could get that airbag light to go off….
Does the airbag light flash before staying on. It will be long and shirts flashes and thus tells you the code. Search the forums and there is a fix for the side airbag

Old 11-07-2015, 09:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes it did…Bad connection on the side airbag. Had to take the drivers side back seat cover off and while I was at it repaired the headrest cable. Cut the end off and replaced it.

The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (05-09-2017)
Old 12-06-2015, 02:10 PM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I just followed the program and removed the assembly, Cleaned and relubed, I did notice that the U joint where the drive shaft fits in the metal collar was very stiff, As I moved it around I could see quite alot of dried grease in it. Cleaned as best I could and re greased it, Reinstalled with the wafer washer in place and all is well, I believe the wafer washer is needed to keep proper tension between the two gears, Just my observation.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:14 PM
Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts

+1 on the clean and relube. Just did mine and used dielectric grease on it as dielectric grease is thin and silicone based, smooth as butter now.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:27 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I did mine this summer just past and all was fine until the cold weather arrived. I suppose I'll need to crawl down under the dash and pull that little rascal again and see about cleaning and fresh lubrication, darn it .

Old 05-08-2017, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Mine too

My guy has tried all the forum fixes. Mine worked great for two days. Now, back to extension works fine, up/down only a twitch. Will try this with great anticipation.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Did' work

Tried this also. Still smooth extension/retraction, no up/down.
Discouraged.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,507 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Some of us have had great success with this:

different-tilt-motor-solution-145376/

The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (10-26-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 10:52 AM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Is the part in question XR829831 (at least in an 03)?

Thanks!

Old 10-19-2017, 04:08 AM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by dennysjag
I just followed the program and removed the assembly, Cleaned and relubed, I did notice that the U joint where the drive shaft fits in the metal collar was very stiff, As I moved it around I could see quite alot of dried grease in it. Cleaned as best I could and re greased it, Reinstalled with the wafer washer in place and all is well, I believe the wafer washer is needed to keep proper tension between the two gears, Just my observation.
I think it is a combination of grease and Spring Washer, or one or the other; I pulled this from a Fastener Companies website concerning the importance of 'Wave Spring Washers' and their 'life-cycle':

Spring washers are specifically designed to provide a compensating spring force and sustain a load or absorb a shock. Many design variations have evolved to best serve one or the other of these two basic functions or to optimize both functions in a single part within specific I.D./O.D. limits.

Two principle factors are at work that continually increase the requirement for spring washers:

The continuing effort to down-size many end products, relative to both weight and cost, creates a need for small, multi-functioning assembly components, such as washers that support a load, span a hole, or both, while providing a compensating spring force.

*Automated assembly requires some “play” or tolerance in the “fit” of components. Spring tension is needed to compensate for these tolerances.*

Recognizing these two broad areas of influence, it can be stated that the more common applications for spring washers are:

To take up “play” in assemblies due to cumulative commercial tolerances.
To compensate for small dimensional changes in assembled components.
To eliminate end play or rattles.
To maintain fastener tension or “tightness.”
To compensate for expansion and contraction or cold flow of material.
To absorb intermittent shock loads and function as working springs capable of providing controlled reaction under dynamic loads.

Design Considerations

LOAD AND DEFLECTION PERFORMANCE

Load and deflection are the key characteristics of a spring washer. How much will the washer deflect under a given load and at what point will it flatten.

These values are normally shown in Load/Deflection (LD) curves with load, or applied force, measured on one axis and washer deflection on the other. A typical Load/Deflection curve for a simple coil spring is shown in Figure 1.

The spring depicted on the left, below the chart, is not deflected and there has been no load applied. On the chart we are at Point A. The vertical axis represents spring deflection in one-inch increments. The applications of 10 pounds of pressure deflects the spring one inch (Point B). The application of 20 pounds of pressure results in a two-inch deflection (Point C); 30 pounds, three inches (Point D); and 40 pounds, four inches (Point E). At this point, the spring is fully compressed. This graph reflects a linear curve, or “constant spring rate”, as each ten pounds of pressure produces one inch of deflection. Most spring washers do not perform this consistently.

As the force is gradually released, it is apparent that the spring does not return to the full extension it had before deflection. This is evident on the return at Points E, G and H. At Point E, for example, at a deflection of three inches, the spring is supplying a little less than 30 pounds of reactive force. This results from the spring having used some of its stored energy to overcome friction caused by the bearing surface at both ends. Some stored energy is also lost through the increased temperature that results from inter-molecular friction caused by the initial deflection.

When considering washer design, there is an obvious relationship between washer thickness and load bearing characteristics. There is an inverse relationship between washer thickness and spring compensation or deflection. The physical design of washers can be varied to serve either or both of these basic performance characteristics.

*Single Wave Washers
These washers are designed for applications involving low loads and requiring high deflection. The Load/Deflection (L/D) curve for this type of washer is virtually linear. Applications include the take up of large tolerance variations, eliminating end play in electric motors, minimizing rattles and cushioning light loads.*

*Multiple Wave Washers
These washers provide somewhat greater load bearing capacity than single wave washers with some loss in deflection capability. Multiple wave washers have wide application as take-up springs.*

Conical Washers

Conical washers can have either a solid periphery or a divided periphery. Conical washers with a solid periphery have exceptional load-bearing capacity but deflection capability is reduced and, with the exception of true Belleville type washer, they will take an initial set when loaded to flat. After initial load (and set), they will function elastically from the unloaded position to the flat loaded position (see Figure 2). As a general rule, maximum deflection for conical washer is approximately one-tenth of rim width.

Washers with scalloped peripheries provide added, and sometimes controlled, spring reaction or deflection with some loss in load bearing capability. Like solid periphery washers, divided periphery washer will take an initial set when loaded to flat.

Ramp Conical™ Washers

Shakeproof’s Ramp Conical washer has a unique, off-center parabolic ramp to create a secondary spring system that provides increased spring reaction and greater load-bearing capacity.

Square Cone® (Square Dome) Washers

Square Cone (Square Dome) Washers enhance both load and deflection. Two distinct conical configurations are combined in the washer to provide: 1) live spring action under full design loads; 2) greater control as a result of a longer deflection period; 3) controlled tension; 4) improved load distribution. Load is delivered toward the outer periphery of the washer, making it ideal for clamping fragile materials and for spanning large clearance holes.

Finger Washers

Fingers on the outer periphery of these conical shaped washers enhance their resiliency and permit even distribution of pressure away from the center hole. This type of washer is often used as a ball bearing retainer spring.

II. LOAD/DEFLECTION CALCULATIONS

When specifying a spring washer, functional and physical requirements must be carefully analyzed. In considering load requirements, two basic types (static and dynamic) must be recognized as well as the amount of load.

Static Load
In a static load environment, the basic function of the spring washer is to retain load. In such an environment, the elastic load of the material may be exceeded.

Dynamic Load
In a dynamic load environment, the washer functions as a regularly flexing spring and the elastic the material must not be exceeded. Loading the washer beyond its yield strength results in permanent distortion of the crown height.

The type and magnitude of the load to which a spring washer will be subjected and the reactive force it will be required to exert are the primary factors that determine the type of spring washer best suited to a specific application. This range of deflection, or “spring travel”, is an important element of spring washer design.

Values for maximum load and maximum deflection are shown for many of the wave washers listed. If these limits are exceeded, the washer will not operate within the elastic limits. (See Figure 3.) A general design rule is to select a washer that has twice the needed deflection, to avoid overstressing the washer.

Where values are not given, values shown for washers with similar I.D., O.D. and thickness dimensions provide am approximate indication of performance.

Single Wave Washers
The load equation for a single wave washer is: P= S (D – d) t2 / D 6
The deflection equation for a single wave washer is: f= S D2 / 6 E t
P = load(lbf)
E = modulus of elasticity of material (30,000,000 psi for steel)
t = material thickness (in.)
f = deflection (in.)
d = inside diameter (in.)
D = outside diameter (in.)
S = max. allowable stress (200,000 psi for steel)

Multiple Wave Washers

The load equation for a multiple wave washer is: P = S N2 t2(D – d) / .75 (D + d)
The deflection equation for a multiple wave washer is: f = S 2 D2 / 12 E t N2
N = number of waves
P = load (lbf)
E = Modulus of elasticity of material (30,000,000 P.S.I. for steel)
t = material thickness (in.)
f = deflection (in.)
d = inside diameter (in.)
D = outside diameter (in.)
S = max. allowable stress (200,000 psi for steel)

Space Envelope

Wave washers and conical washers increase just slightly in diameter as they are compressed. Allowable inside and outside diameter limits are, therefore, an important consideration when specifying spring washers. The overall space occupied by a spring washer can be described as a hollow “cylinder.” This “cylinder” of space must be recognized in assembly design considerations and restricts of the acceptable dimensions of the washer itself. Generally, the larger the washer O.D. that can be accommodated, the greater the load than can be supported and distributed.

IV. Environment

The environment in which a spring washer operates can effect the anticipated performance of the washer in terms of load bearing and reactive characteristics. Temperature and exposure to corrosive agents are the most important environmental considerations and washer material specifications must be made with these factors in mind.

The limitations imposed by even relevantly low ambient temperatures on various spring washer materials are provided here as a guide. These indicated temperature limits can, of course, be exceeded but this will result in increased relaxation of the washer under load.
Material Recommended Operating Limit Temperature F°
SAE 1050 Steel 250°
SAE 1065 Steel 250°
425 Phosphor bronze 225°
Beryllium copper 225°
Spring brass 150°

V. Functional Variations

As performance requirements become more exacting, established formulas, which provide data for good theoretical design, may not be sufficiently precise in view of the many variables that are introduced in the commercial manufacturing process. Normal operating tolerances in stamping dies and material, normal tolerances in material thickness and composition, heat treatment, plating and finishing can result in variations in load-bearing characteristics in the magnitude of ±35%. Unfortunately, these variations are usually greater in the smaller sizes where specifications tend to be the most critical and where the basic design cannot accommodate much flexibility.

Today, the designer must determine what functional tolerances are acceptable so as to know whether commercial spring washers can be used in the application or whether a precision, calibrated spring washer is needed.

I think a new 'Wave Spring Washer' and a thorough cleaning and re-greasing is what will ultimately solve the problem. The Spring Washer is a regular 'wear and tear' maintenance item like your brake pads, eventually they need to be replaced. Can anyone who has tore apart their assembly confirm whether or not the wave spring washer has a part number on it, or dimensions? I believe the spring washers in the motor fall into the latter category of a multi wave precision calibrated spring washer which requires replacement as it is worn out.

https://www.wclco.com/

Last edited by 03 XKR; 10-19-2017 at 05:06 AM. Reason: added website possible distributer of spring washer
The following 2 users liked this post by 03 XKR:
Orthodixie (10-19-2017), scardini1 (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 09:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Was wondering what it would take to fix the up/down motion on my 98 XK8. Mine used to work then one day it started to give just a short lurch then seems to jam. I'll work up the courage to attempt the fix sometime. I don't really need it, but it's cool to watch it move by itself with the key in and out. Thanks

Old 10-26-2017, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

It's not that hard to get to the tilt motor assembly. You can take it out and just do some general cleaning and lubing. No doubt that will help, but as old as it is, and after reading many of these posts, the odds are it will start getting a little balky in a year or two. Mine had the classic "Nudging" problem - I could nudge it up and down with a few flicks of the control knob. It wasn't too inconvenient and I just lived with it until the telescope motor's drive coupling snapped. Then I removed the column and replaced them both.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:28 AM
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

When you talk of 8mm this and 10mm that, is that a 9mm I spy on your bench??

Old 10-30-2017, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

Not sure how pertinent this is but whenever I have had the occasional stall on the up/down when inserting the key, what I have typically done is to remove the key and insert it again. My impression is that the initial inserting of the key did not properly "trigger" the up down movement. The reinserting of the key (sometimes I wipe it off) almost always works to get the up/down moving again.

By the way, would still love to see some organized how-to photos from anyone who has gone through the processes described.

Doug

Old 11-10-2017, 01:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ok - spring isn't a problem - but the gear.....

Got the little green gear out and found the "spring". I have a bigger issue -
the square green tab that extends out .... is broken off flush with the top of the green gear.

I've determined from the forum (thanks to all) that the gears are not available.

I removed the motor, made sure it was grounded - and it still won't move. Fuzes are good.

I poped for a complete motor from e-bay.

thanks to all

Last edited by Ironheadvette; 11-10-2017 at 03:17 PM. Reason: additional information

Quick Reply: Stick up an down steering column fix...FAQ