XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stolen car ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry stolen car ??

It appears that my 2001 xk8 convertible things it is stolen at the oddest times. It will hose the can network and not start, showing engine failure, trans failure, incorrect part fitted, after sitting for several hours it will start ok, sometimes have to do a hard reset (battery disconnect for approx 1 hour)
When battery is disconnected I Sometimes get the following codes
P1260 Theft detect
U2500
Keyless transponder module --no response
P1797 Transmission module fault

I have been using a standard elm code reader with Torque and the Auto Enginuity Pro with the Jag Pac.
Looking for suggestions as to where to start (no dealers within 400 miles)
I suspect the KTM or ECM or both. Need all the help I can get as it is a no driver like this.
Thanks
Tom

Old 04-09-2013, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Start with some fundamental checks of the electrical system: Check for solid, clean battery connections. Look for battery cable corrosion, especially where the wire is crimped to the terminal.

Check for loose connections at the two high power primary fuses at the back of the spare tire well. Check each fusebox and make sure the heavy power lugs are clean and tight. These connection are known to loosen up occasionally. Check the ground connections to the chassis and make sure they are clean, tight and not corroded. Check the alternator connections.

Make sure your battery has at least 12.4 volts after sitting idle for 8 hours with the engine off.

Clean the contacts on the KTM with Radio Shack contact cleaner.

Hopefully you will find a smoking gun amonst these checks.

The following users liked this post:
Wb5Tom (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 05:44 PM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

P1260 is:

I can't find U2500 in the Jaguar DTC listing.

If it's not harness or connections, it's looking like KTM and there's nothing in JTIS on this.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails stolen car ??-dtc-p1260.jpg  
Wb5Tom (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,801 Likes on 2,236 Posts

Tom, Welcome to the forum. I realize you're very busy now, but when you have time please visit the new member area and introduce yourself.

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Wb5Tom (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 07:22 PM

Will check power connections again and try to clean contacts on KTM, does anyone if there is a fuse and where for the KTM. I did not see one on the JTIS sheets

Old 04-09-2013, 07:59 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Check the exciter ring!

Wb5Tom (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 08:52 PM

Thanks Gus, tried that early on with a new one from dealer 400 miles away. looks like if it was the KTM it would never talk to ECM so never start unless there is a period in which the ECM will allow no comm with it before shutting down the car (odd)

Old 04-24-2013, 05:01 PM

Well tried new KTM today (appears this is where the key codes are stored) as she will do less now than before. the module is fun to change out as it is behind the drivers ac vent. since I did not try to remove the top of the dash I spent about 4 hours changing it out only to find that I will have to put the old one back in to start it up again. but did give the old module the once over while it was out all looked good solder wise (no loose or burnt devices)

Last edited by Wb5Tom; 04-24-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:13 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Do you have only one key and if not have you tried with one of the other keys?

Old 04-24-2013, 05:46 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

The KTM seems to get information from a lot of places BPM & ECM See Fig 03.1 of the link below.

Link http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxk2001.pdf

The KTM is looking at the glass breakage security & security acknowledgement, all in all it is looking for approval to start. With that in mind I would be looking to see what is not saying it is OK to start.

Just giving a little food for thought!

Old 04-24-2013, 05:50 PM

tried both keys (re programming was done by local locksmith shortly after getting the car) may have been something flakey with his unit as he said that the book said it would program a key for a 2001 Jag but he had not ever tried one, problem seemed worse shortly after his programming but who knows.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:54 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I would say that could be the problem! Do you have any other options at getting it reprogrammed?

Old 04-24-2013, 07:00 PM

will try using a copy of SDD and the local ford dealer's VCM in a day or so when I can sneak in the shop

Old 04-24-2013, 07:03 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Wb5Tom
tried both keys (re programming was done by local locksmith shortly after getting the car) may have been something flakey with his unit as he said that the book said it would program a key for a 2001 Jag but he had not ever tried one, problem seemed worse shortly after his programming but who knows.
Tom,

Can you specify exactly what your symptoms right now? I need a little clarity.

Cheers,

Old 04-24-2013, 08:35 PM

with original ktm in car
P1260 theft detected
p1797 trans to ecm malfunction
u2500 lack of ack
ktm no responsr
ac unit will intermit show code 14
can net is hosed not able to read car at all
using auto enginuity proline vci with jag enhancements

after installing new ktm (not programmed for my keys)
still have
p1260
no ktm response
can network was hosed at first try but let unit set 15 min and then system allowed access to network and showed only theft (P1260) or no ac failure code
Driver Info display shows nothing in current state, when networked is hosed it will show engine failure, transmission failure, adaptive ride control failure.

Hope this helps out some Steve as I am lost(too much at once)
Thanks to you Steve and Gus

Old 04-25-2013, 11:14 AM

This is a weird one, Tom. I'm going to give you a few things to try and then report. If we fix the thing along the way, great. At least we'll collect information. First thing though, send me the last six digits of your VIN number, that will help.

Do this in a garage if possible, we're going to use global open/close and I don't want something to go haywire and leave you with an open top outdoors.

1. Replace the relays you see boxed in the attached document, and one each in the dash fuseboxes. [at this car's age, even if they are not the direct cause, they are suspect, period] Any decent quality, 40A capacity part will suffice. Just be sure it has a dropping resistor across the coil.

2. Disconnect the battery for several minutes.

3. Reconnect.

4. With the doors and windows closed, lock the vehicle using the key.

– Using the key, unlock the vehicle and hold the key in the unlocked position (global open). If both doors unlock, all windows open, and if equipped, the convertible top opens, data messages were communicated between the DDCM, PDCM, BPM and SLCM.

– Switch the ignition to position II, set and recall a seat memory position. Open and close the driver door while watching the door ajar INST warning.
If the seat memory works, data messages were communicated between DDCM, BPM and DSCM.
If the door ajar warning is active with the door open and becomes inactive with the door closed, a data message was communicated between the DDCM and the INST.

That is a function test of the SCP Network. That eliminates it as complicit here.

5. Ignition on, step on the brake and see if the shifter releases from Park. If so, great, back to Park. If not, we'll have to tackle that.

6. Step on brake, grit teeth, try to start the engine. IMMEDIATELY look at the shifter and see if there is any action from the little LED a bit to the left of the "P".

Let's see where you stand after that.

Good luck!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Relays.pdf (307.6 KB, 296 views)

Last edited by xjrguy; 04-25-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xjrguy
Just be sure it has a dropping resistor across the coil.
Slight correction..it is actually a diode, not a resistor. Even relays from the dealer should be relatively inexpensive.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Slight correction..it is actually a diode, not a resistor. Even relays from the dealer should be relatively inexpensive.
Not so. Let's be careful here. Jaguar hasn't used diodes across the relay coils for a number of years. With very rare exceptions, you'll have to go back to the XJ40 to find that. Look at the front pages of the electrical diagrams. It shows the symbols used and the device across relay coils is a dropping resistor.

Cheers,

Old 04-25-2013, 12:13 PM

Maybe an explanation is in order. Back in the day they used anti-spiking diodes to protect the electronics. Now the devices are built to take that spike.

In recent years the resistor across the coil dissipates some of the spike voltage and serves to make a voltage divider. That's how the module can always perform a circuit test, and determine whether there is something wrong with the control circuit for a relay.

Cheers,

Old 04-25-2013, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Not so. Let's be careful here. Jaguar hasn't used diodes across the relay coils for a number of years. With very rare exceptions, you'll have to go back to the XJ40 to find that. Look at the front pages of the electrical diagrams. It shows the symbols used and the device across relay coils is a dropping resistor.

Cheers,
Maybe an explanation is in order. Back in the day they used anti-spiking diodes to protect the electronics. Now the devices are built to take that spike.

In recent years the resistor across the coil dissipates some of the spike voltage and serves to make a voltage divider. That's how the module can always perform a circuit test, and determine whether there is something wrong with the control circuit for a relay.

Cheers,
You are right...I just learned something new today...thanks!

Quick Reply: stolen car ??