XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Strange parking lights issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 10:11 AM
Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Strange parking lights issue

A few months back I replaced the two front parking lights with LED's. I am mostly a daytime driver, but last night I was allowed out after dark. I just then realized that when I lock the car, in addition to all the quick "blinks", my right front parking light comes on and stays on at a very dim level. Maybe it gets some 6V instead of 12V. It will stay on for about 30 mins before turning off.
Nothing will turn them off. Turning on parking lights will turn both on bright and when I turn them off, the right parking light will stay on at very dim level for the 30 mins.
So, the 12V comes from the BPM. Why would it "leak" a lower voltage to one of the parking lights when I lock or unlock the car with the remote??? I will replace the LED with a regular incandecent to see if the same thing happens. It may not be visible on a higher current draw bulb.

Appreciate any thoughts an ideas.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Instead of replacing, maybe you should measure the voltage level at some point during the 30 min window.

1) it may help point us in right direction for answer.
2) if it's real low, it could illuminate an LED but will be unnoticed on an incandescent.

This is a good one Nalle, I'm going to scan the electrical diagram. BTW, I'm surprised at the dim (mer) illumination. My old brain thought it remembered that LEDs are all or none, which is why they used to use complicated noisy (noise in the rf band)switching power supplies to dim LEDs. Ah (laughing at self) that's probably just another thing that was worked, improved on, and changed years ago. Dimmable LEDs are probably common place now. . .

John

Edit: if not too much trouble, pop the rear side marker out during the measurement- bet it gets same low voltage (?) but like I said = unnoticeable with incandescent.

Last edited by Johnken; 01-26-2020 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Johnken
Instead of replacing, maybe you should measure the voltage level at some point during the 30 min window.

2) if it's real low, it could illuminate an LED but will be unnoticed on an incandescent.

This is a good one Nalle, I'm going to scan the electrical diagram. BTW, I'm surprised at the dim (mer) illumination. My old brain thought it remembered that LEDs are all or none, which is why they used to use complicated noisy (noise in the rf band)switching power supplies to dim LEDs. Ah (laughing at self) that's probably just another thing that was worked, improved on, and changed years ago. Dimmable LEDs are probably common place now. . .

John

Edit: if not too much trouble, pop the rear side marker out during the measurement- bet it gets same low voltage (?) but like I said = unnoticeable with incandescent.
John,
I will do all of the above. It is a good mystery that need to be resolved. It may be one of those odd Jaguar inventions. Stay tuned.

The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (01-26-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Johnken

John

John,

Checked voltage on the front right. About 8.25 V. Tried the original incandecent and it does not light. Sort of strange that it does not, unless current limiting at the other end.
Also checked the rear lights that are also LED with load resistor per ccfulton's design idea. Zero voltage there!! I.e. only front right at 8.25 V.
Just for your info, I have all LED's in the cab, and they all dim just fine at closing!

Old 01-26-2020, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by nalle
John,

Checked voltage on the front right. About 8.25 V. Tried the original incandecent and it does not light. Sort of strange that it does not, unless current limiting at the other end.
Also checked the rear lights that are also LED with load resistor per ccfulton's design idea. Zero voltage there!! I.e. only front right at 8.25 V.
Just for your info, I have all LED's in the cab, and they all dim just fine at closing!
Nalle,

I don't mean to butt-in here but I need some help also! Not with the Parking Lights but with my LED Tail Lights! I have followed Charlie's directions to a "T" and all I have achieved so far is that my blinkers work without turning on the "Rear Lights" waring light....My Brake/Tail Lights do!....I'm using one of those LED 1157 Bulbs that has a load resistor or something like that...Carid has them for sell....My Tracks are done exactly like Charley's....I ask him about it and he sent me an article about "resistors in Parallel" ...I've been working on this for a couple of years now and you are the first to mention that you lights work....Could you Please help by telling me what you have done? Or better yet "What you did?"

Billy Clyde

Last edited by bcprice36; 01-26-2020 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Nothing will turn them off. Turning on parking lights will turn both on bright and when I turn them off, the right parking light will stay on at very dim level for the 30 mins.
It's just a 'feature' of the BPM. I have LED (non 'canbus') front parking lights and they both stay lit dimly whenever the car is 'awake'. The current draw is tiny so I wouldn't worry about draining the battery.

@Billy - I'd swop notes with nalle to see what's different between your setups. For whatever reason, your SLM doesn't think you have normal incandescents in the rear locations. Maybe different LED lamp types?

Johnken (01-26-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 04:33 PM
Default Tail light resistors

Originally Posted by bcprice36
Nalle,

I don't mean to butt-in here but I need some help also! Not with the Parking Lights but with my LED Tail Lights! I have followed Charlie's directions to a "T" and all I have achieved so far is that my blinkers work without turning on the "Rear Lights" waring light....My Brake/Tail Lights do!....I'm using one of those LED 1157 Bulbs that has a load resistor or something like that...Carid has them for sell....My Tracks are done exactly like Charley's....I ask him about it and he sent me an article about "resistors in Parallel" ...I've been working on this for a couple of years now and you are the first to mention that you lights work....Could you Please help by telling me what you have done? Or better yet "What you did?"

Billy Clyde
Billy,

Here is a picture of my resistor installation. I had to add a few more resistors for 5 on Turn, 6 on Tail and 10 on Brake. Then everything worked just fine. There are probably slight variances in the LED bulbs as well as in the load sensing system in the car. If I were you, I would just add a resistor or two to the lights that don't work right and try again.

Old 01-26-2020, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by michaelh
It's just a 'feature' of the BPM. I have LED (non 'canbus') front parking lights and they both stay lit dimly whenever the car is 'awake'. The current draw is tiny so I wouldn't worry about draining the battery.

@Billy - I'd swop notes with nalle to see what's different between your setups. For whatever reason, your SLM doesn't think you have normal incandescents in the rear locations. Maybe different LED lamp types?
Michael,

Are you telling me that both lights should be on?? If so, I'll measure the voltage on the left side too. However, if this is a "feature", how come the feature does not work with the factory incandecent bulbs???

Old 01-26-2020, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member

nalle,

Strange things happen with electricity...That's why I have never been good at it! My set-up is: 4 resistors on the Turn-Signal and it works without the Warning! Then I have 4 on the Tail Light and 10 on the Brake.....I will place 2 more on the Tail Light and check it out again.....I had just about given up as Charley had sent me the article about Parallel resistors.....and I figured it must be the Bulbs.. My Bulbs are Lumen from Carid which are suppose to have a Resistor in them.....As I said, the Brake/Rear Light Bulb 1157 still turns on the warning light, whereas the Lumen Bulb for the turn Signals works just fine....I think I'm suppose to have 6 on the Tail Light...according to your directions...I have a magnifying Bulb in the Back-up and a regular Lumen in the Fog Light...and of course the Plain old Bulb in the Red Light...

Your Bulbs are a different brand and I would appreciate it if you would tell me the Brand...One of them looks like "ALLA" but I'm not familiar with that Brand. If you would, I would like to know the Brand names that I know will work...Now you've got me excited!

As far as you Fog Lights go, I have LED bulbs in them and Nalle, they hardly show on the road itself ...they are only warning lights as I can tell....Maybe a little light shows on the side of the road.....but basically useless! But they don't "Glo" after turning them off...but now I noticed that you are talking about the Parking Lights! Do you mean the little bulbs inside the Headlights? If so, I have never noticed them staying-on but I will look and let you know....

Thanks so much for you help!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 01-27-2020, 04:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Michael,

Are you telling me that both lights should be on?? If so, I'll measure the voltage on the left side too. However, if this is a "feature", how come the feature does not work with the factory incandecent bulbs???
I really meant that it's a consequence of doing something that the original design didn't anticipate. There must be a slight power leakage out of the BPM - insufficient to light a normal incandescent, but enough to make a LED (non 'canbus':- i.e. without parallel load resistors) glow slightly. I would expect it to be in the order of microamps, thus insignificant.
Bear in mind that leakage is still present with incandescents - just not visible.

Ideally, neither lamp would illuminate until switched on.

Last edited by michaelh; 01-27-2020 at 04:54 AM.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by michaelh
I really meant that it's a consequence of doing something that the original design didn't anticipate. There must be a slight power leakage out of the BPM - insufficient to light a normal incandescent, but enough to make a LED (non 'canbus':- i.e. without parallel load resistors) glow slightly. I would expect it to be in the order of microamps, thus insignificant.
Bear in mind that leakage is still present with incandescents - just not visible.

Ideally, neither lamp would illuminate until switched on.
Michael,

That all makes good sense. Just out of curiosity, I will also check for voltage on the driver side front bulb. There is nothing on the rear bulbs.
So far I have learned that the light will come on if I push any of the buttons on the remote, lift any of the door handles (without opening door) or if I open the trunk with the trunk button.
I am sure that you are right about the current draw. No worries about battery drain.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:02 AM

nalle,

Strange things happen with electricity...That's why I have never been good at it! My set-up is: 4 resistors on the Turn-Signal and it works without the Warning! Then I have 4 on the Tail Light and 10 on the Brake.....I will place 2 more on the Tail Light and check it out again.....I had just about given up as Charley had sent me the article about Parallel resistors.....and I figured it must be the Bulbs.. My Bulbs are Lumen from Carid which are suppose to have a Resistor in them.....As I said, the Brake/Rear Light Bulb 1157 still turns on the warning light, whereas the Lumen Bulb for the turn Signals works just fine....I think I'm suppose to have 6 on the Tail Light...according to your directions...I have a magnifying Bulb in the Back-up and a regular Lumen in the Fog Light...and of course the Plain old Bulb in the Red Light...

Your Bulbs are a different brand and I would appreciate it if you would tell me the Brand...One of them looks like "ALLA" but I'm not familiar with that Brand. If you would, I would like to know the Brand names that I know will work...Now you've got me excited!

As far as you Fog Lights go, I have LED bulbs in them and Nalle, they hardly show on the road itself ...they are only warning lights as I can tell....Maybe a little light shows on the side of the road.....but basically useless! But they don't "Glo" after turning them off...but now I noticed that you are talking about the Parking Lights! Do you mean the little bulbs inside the Headlights? If so, I have never noticed them staying-on but I will look and let you know....

Thanks so much for you help!

Billy Clyde in Houston
Billy,
Below are the bulbs that I am using. However, I don't think that is critical. A couple of additional resistors will probably fix the problem.
BRISHINE Super Bright 1156 1003 1141 7506 BA15S LED Bulbs Amber Yellow 9-30V Non-Polarity 24-SMD LED Chipsets with Projector for Turn Signal Li"><span style=BRISHINE Super Bright 1156 1003 1141 7506 BA15S LED Bulbs Amber Yellow 9-30V Non-Polarity 24-SMD LED Chipsets with Projector for Turn Signal Li" /> BRISHINE Super Bright 1156 1003 1141 7506 BA15S LED Bulbs Amber Yellow 9-30V Non-Polarity 24-SMD LED Chipsets with Projector for Turn Signal Li">BRISHINE Super Bright 1156 1003 1141 7506 BA15S LED Bulbs Amber Yellow 9-30V Non-Polarity 24-SMD LED Chipsets with Projector for Turn Signal Li

ALLA Lighting 2800lm 7506 1156 LED White LED Bulbs Xtreme Super Bright BA15S 7506 1156 LED Bulb 5730 33-SMD LED, 6000K Xenon White"><span style=ALLA Lighting 2800lm 7506 1156 LED White LED Bulbs Xtreme Super Bright BA15S 7506 1156 LED Bulb 5730 33-SMD LED, 6000K Xenon White" /> ALLA Lighting 2800lm 7506 1156 LED White LED Bulbs Xtreme Super Bright BA15S 7506 1156 LED Bulb 5730 33-SMD LED, 6000K Xenon White">ALLA Lighting 2800lm 7506 1156 LED White LED Bulbs Xtreme Super Bright BA15S 7506 1156 LED Bulb 5730 33-SMD LED, 6000K Xenon White

ALLA Lighting 2800lm 7528 1157 LED White LED Bulbs Xtreme Super Bright BAY15D 2057 1157 LED Bulb 5730 33-SMD LED, 6000K Xenon White"><span style=ALLA Lighting 2800lm 7528 1157 LED White LED Bulbs Xtreme Super Bright BAY15D 2057 1157 LED Bulb 5730 33-SMD LED, 6000K Xenon White" /> ALLA Lighting 2800lm 7528 1157 LED White LED Bulbs Xtreme Super Bright BAY15D 2057 1157 LED Bulb 5730 33-SMD LED, 6000K Xenon White">ALLA Lighting 2800lm 7528 1157 LED White LED Bulbs Xtreme Super Bright BAY15D 2057 1157 LED Bulb 5730 33-SMD LED, 6000K Xenon White

Old 01-27-2020, 07:08 AM

Billy
Strange things happen when you do a copy/paste. Hope you can decipher.

Old 01-27-2020, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member

Nalle,
I think I got it....only problem I have is where did you get them? I've never seen those Brand Names before...and I've pretty well cruised the internet...Do you have a special place?

I've never heard of ALLA or Brishine Bulbs before, where do you go to buy them?

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 01-27-2020, 07:11 PM

Nalle,
I think I got it....only problem I have is where did you get them? I've never seen those Brand Names before...and I've pretty well cruised the internet...Do you have a special place?

I've never heard of ALLA or Brishine Bulbs before, where do you go to buy them?

Billy Clyde in Houston
The links are "clickable" in my reply above. Will take you straight to Amazon!

Old 01-28-2020, 11:26 PM
Veteran Member
Default Just a few more and it works.....!

QUOTE=nalle;2183919]The links are "clickable" in my reply above. Will take you straight to Amazon![/QUOTE]

Nalle,
After adding 3 more Resistors to the Brake Trails and 1 more to the Red Light the Warning Light shut down! I've been working toward this day for at least two years but I certainly do have more Resistors than you have used on yours! Had most of the trouble with the Brake Light...It just wouldn't stop turning on the warning light...It finally gave up after 4 more Resistors.....The Bulbs that I have are "Lumens" they are the type that suppose to have a Resistor in the base.....I don't know about that! Anyway, I am going to buy the Brake Light and the Blinker Bulbs from you source on Amazon as they appear to be brighter...Thanks very much for sending me all that information! I will send you a Photo of the Lighting system later this week, as I just finished soldering and putting the Lights together...They are so much brighter it isn't funny!

Billy Clyde.

Last edited by bcprice36; 01-29-2020 at 12:25 AM.
DavidYau (01-31-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 07:20 AM

Billy,
Seems that you are well on your way to get it all working. We are sort of just adding enough resistors to fool the system in to thinking that the bulb is okay. With the resistance added, we are still quite far away from the low resistance of an incandescent bulb. However, this is a very neat solution in that it fits nicely right on the bulb holder assembly, as compared to a big bulky resistor with a heatsink,
If you have a multi meter, you may want to measure resistance across each bulb to make sure you did not heat damage any resistor when you soldered them in.

Old 01-31-2020, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

Nalle,

Spoke to soon! While sitting at a Red Light with the Brakes-on the Warning Light came back on...I can let off the Brake and then push it back on and the light stays off!..
I 'm going to put one more on the Brake and hope that will stop all this "Warning Light" thingamagig!

If I can find a place for it!
Thanks again for your help on this!

Billy Clyde

DavidYau (01-31-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,390 Likes on 2,866 Posts

You may need to pull a trailer behind your car to carry all those extra resistors....

The following 2 users liked this post by Jon89:
DavidYau (01-31-2020), michaelh (01-31-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 03:19 PM

Nalle,

Spoke to soon! While sitting at a Red Light with the Brakes-on the Warning Light came back on...I can let off the Brake and then push it back on and the light stays off!..
I 'm going to put one more on the Brake and hope that will stop all this "Warning Light" thingamagig!

If I can find a place for it!
Thanks again for your help on this!

Billy Clyde
Billy, I am really curious now! Do you have a multimeter to measure resistance across all the resistors on all three lights on both sides??? It would be interesting to compare to ccfulton's and to mine.

Quick Reply: Strange parking lights issue