XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Strange parking lights issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts

Jon89,
Then the problem would be where to hook the Trailer or where to put the Hook!

Nalle,
I have 2 of them! But don't know how to work either one...I tried to learn how by watching UTube but this old Texan can't understand those Guys enough to learn anything from them....They don't talk West Texan.....If you would draw me a little map of where to put the Red thing and where to put the Black thing I'll bet I can come up with the numbers...As you can tell, I'm a little over my head when it comes to electricity! I really don't know where to put the little gizmos....I'll try placing just "1" more resistor on the Brake light trace....When I first hit the Brakes it comes on but if I let off for a second or 2 and hit it again it doesn't! Strange things going on back there.....The Blinker was solved with the correct number of resistors, the Red Light took 2 more and now the Brake looks like 4 more then Charlie's directions.
I'll do something Tomorrow, with hopes of solving the problem...

Billy Clyde

Old 02-01-2020, 06:19 AM
Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by bcprice36
Jon89,
Then the problem would be where to hook the Trailer or where to put the Hook!

Nalle,
I have 2 of them! But don't know how to work either one...I tried to learn how by watching UTube but this old Texan can't understand those Guys enough to learn anything from them....They don't talk West Texan.....If you would draw me a little map of where to put the Red thing and where to put the Black thing I'll bet I can come up with the numbers...As you can tell, I'm a little over my head when it comes to electricity! I really don't know where to put the little gizmos....I'll try placing just "1" more resistor on the Brake light trace....When I first hit the Brakes it comes on but if I let off for a second or 2 and hit it again it doesn't! Strange things going on back there.....The Blinker was solved with the correct number of resistors, the Red Light took 2 more and now the Brake looks like 4 more then Charlie's directions.
I'll do something Tomorrow, with hopes of solving the problem...

Billy Clyde
Billy, we will get this worked out. However, I am on my way to the airport and will be back in a week. if you look at the stuff about parallel resistors that ccfulton sent you, you will realize that the first few resistors in parallel makes a big difference. As you then add more the resistance change get pretty small. I am surprised that you still are having problems and will send you a picture on how to measure once I get back.
In the mean time, check this:
Disconnect the lamp holder unit from the car and take out the bulbs. With the meter set to resistance/ohm, use the red and black probe, one on each side of the resistors you soldered in and record the resistance reading. Good luck!

Old 03-26-2020, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member

Nalle,

Sorry to come back to you with this LED Taillight problem.....I added (2) Resistors on each Brake Light trace....still does the dash light after about 2 seconds. Please take time to look over the Photo and tomorrow I will have time to get someone to help me with the multi-meter....

My traces look like they are galvanized and yours look nice an shiny..Hmmm! I cleaned the traces with sand paper and brush and put cleaner on them.....I will send you the results of the Multi-meter tomorrow...

Billy Clyde

Lt Tail Light Holder with Resistors

Old 03-27-2020, 11:00 AM
Received 293 Likes on 219 Posts

You may want to look at this: https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws...tor/res_4.html

It explains that the more resistors you add, the lower the total resistance is which, I think, is the opposite of what you are trying to achieve! For example, 2 x 2ohm resistors in parallel, only give 1ohm of resistance, whereas a single resistor gives 2ohms.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Bladerunner! I'm just trying everything I can to solve this problem....I have decided to order another Stop/Rear Light same brand as Nalle...Just to see if that will work....It's just amazing to me that he only had to use about half the Resistors that I have...Of course I realize the in-Parallel situation.....but I'm so close....as all the Lights work great except for the Brake.....You know, sometimes you would like to give up but oh No not me.....what a dummy!

Billy Clyde

Hope you are in good health and stay that way!

The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (03-28-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 05:23 AM
Received 293 Likes on 219 Posts

Just use one resistor. If that's not enough, replace it with a resistor of a higher value. Or wire in a variable resistor so that you can adjust it.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Bladerunner,,,

I will let you know what happens.....I have to find an Electronics Store since the Shack closed!!

BC

Old 03-30-2020, 03:07 PM
Received 695 Likes on 346 Posts

I was always curious about the 'add more resistors' practice. The rule when I taught basic electricity was , "The total resistance in a parallel circuit is always less than the value of the lowest resistor."

I assumed jags behave differently.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Lightbulb More Resistors doesn't cut it!

Originally Posted by mhminnich
I was always curious about the 'add more resistors' practice. The rule when I taught basic electricity was , "The total resistance in a parallel circuit is always less than the value of the lowest resistor."

I assumed jags behave differently.
mhminnich,
Apparently, Electricity acts the same in a Jaguar as it does everywhere! I posted a photo of my latest soldiering job above and want you to know that the resistors for the Turn-Signals (4) did the job and they work great! The outside Taillight works great with (7) resistors and the Brake Lights (whether the Lights or on or off) work but after a couple seconds they turn on the Warning Light.. That's when I added (4) more Resistors.....which didn't make any difference.
I've been following Charley's directions for a year or two but I come back to this same problem every time I start over....I thought my soldering job was the problem at first, so I cleaned it all up and started again and did a better job but that didn't help as I'm still have the problem....At this point, I need to try something else....Like maybe different size resistors for the Brake Lights...or different Bulbs. or live with it! Thanks for any help or suggestions....!

Billy Clyde

Old 04-02-2020, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member

mhminnich & nalle,

Well, I placed the new ALLA Bulbs (same brand as Nalle is using in his Stop-light/Red Light bulbs ) ..Now, during the day, I have no problems at all...Everything works perfectly, until Night comes and I have to turn on the Lights.....1st time I hit the Brakes with the Lights on, the Warning comes on and will not turn off. It stays on until I turn off the Lights....So, that has fixed the problem in the Daytime but not at Night....Since the Time has changed, I'm not driving much at Night .so I'm going to let it go until next year...No telling what they might do by then!! The new ones are really neat though, as they Blink (3) times, each time I hit the Brakes. Sort of a warning signal!

Billy Clyde

Last edited by bcprice36; 04-02-2020 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Added something
Old 04-04-2020, 08:35 AM

Billy,

Sorry that it took a long time to get back to you......... First, let me tell you that on very rare occasions I will also get an error signal.. Happens at night with the lights on and when I keep my foot on the brakes for a very long time - slow red traffic light.
I counted all your resistors and, with your 18 resistors, you are now down from the original suggested 50 ohms (from ccfulton) to about 26 ohm. Would be nice if you could measure that resistance to confirm!! Just to make sure that all your resistors are okay!!
I can't explain why your system still triggers an error. However, 26 ohm is still substantially higher than the original incandescent bulb. A 25 W bulb is about 5-6 ohms.
I guess that there are some variation in the trigger circuits - I believe it just measures voltage drop across a resistor.
If you truly have 26 ohms with the 18 installed resistors and it still does not work, I guess the only solution is to somehow fit in a large 6 ohm high wattage resistor. You can get load resistors at any autoparts store.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

nalle,

Thanks so much for the follow-up! As I said, the Lights are working perfectly during the Day...Now at Night it's a different thing...After I hit the Brakes one time, the warning light comes on and stays on until I turn off the Lights. So, since the time changed, I'm going to let it be!

I appreciate your help! Charlie, in Arizona, has the same problem as you, except it happens occasionally....I will look into your suggestion about the larger Resistors.

Billy Clyde

Old 04-04-2020, 12:38 PM

Billy,
Out of curiosity. it would be very nice if you somehow could measure the resistance across those 18 resistors, without the bulbs installed. It should be about 25 - 27 ohms. If you blew some of them from the soldering heat, they might be open circuit and your resistance will be higher and cause your problem

Old 04-04-2020, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member

When I had the Light out of the car, I tried to measure the resistances but could not get a reading....I learn how to use the Multimeter but couldn't figure out where to place the Red and Black touch points to get the reading. I checked the Batteries and they are OK but I couldn't get the meter to read.....I'm just dumb I guess....I'll try to get someone to show me where to get the readings from and let you know...I spent some time on it and found another place on the Internet where a Gal was teaching about the Multimeter so I figured that out...just can't get it to read on the Traces...
Please give me some ideas as to where I put the Red and the Black pointers...

Thanks! BC

Old 04-04-2020, 10:12 PM

When I had the Light out of the car, I tried to measure the resistances but could not get a reading....I learn how to use the Multimeter but couldn't figure out where to place the Red and Black touch points to get the reading. I checked the Batteries and they are OK but I couldn't get the meter to read.....I'm just dumb I guess....I'll try to get someone to show me where to get the readings from and let you know...I spent some time on it and found another place on the Internet where a Gal was teaching about the Multimeter so I figured that out...just can't get it to read on the Traces...
Please give me some ideas as to where I put the Red and the Black pointers...

Thanks! BC
Billy,

Take your meter and set the dial to Resistance/Ohm measurement. You should touch the probes, one on either side of the resistors you want measure, as shown on the picture below. Red - Black makes no difference! If all resistors are fine, you should measure about 25-27 ohms

Old 04-05-2020, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member

Nalle,
The Left Light says 27.1 and the Right on says 28.4

They work great during the Day but at Night they make the warning light stay ON!

Thanks!
Billy Clyde

Old 04-05-2020, 04:43 PM

Nalle,
The Left Light says 27.1 and the Right on says 28.4

They work great during the Day but at Night they make the warning light stay ON!

Thanks!
Billy Clyde
Great job Billy,
That's about right for the 18 resistors. Interesting that it still gives you an error under certain conditions. I guess there are variations in the trigger circuits since I have very few problems at much higher resistance.
Either live with it or find the room for a larger high wattage resistor. Check this:
Richard cramed in a few large resistors here and there.

Old 04-06-2020, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member

Nalle,

I just added 2 more little Resistors up above these on the right side light and now the ohms read 25.1...but I have the same results....Great until I turn on the Lights....Have NO idea what to do at this point....Something's up because that's a 3 point jump...with just (2) 471 Resistors...What would you do? or what would you try?

Billy Clyde

Old 04-06-2020, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member

Nalle,

I just added 2 more little Resistors up above these on the right side light and now the ohms read 25.1...but I have the same results....Great until I turn on the Lights....Have NO idea what to do at this point....Something's up because that's a 3 point jump...with just (2) 471 Resistors...What would you do? or what would you try?

Billy Clyde

Old 04-06-2020, 05:13 PM

Nalle,

Billy Clyde
Billy,

At this point I have no idea what to tell you. I guess the only remaining option is to try a regular 6 ohm/ 50 watt resistor from your local auto parts store. I have used that on my other car and they work fine. The system will then see roughly the same resistance as the original brake light bulb. I just don't know where there is room for one on the Jag. They are bulky. I have not checked if there is space between the lamp holder and the plastic cover. Probably not??? There may be a spot where one can splice in a resistor on the cable leading to the plug, but that can get a little tricky too. Next time I'm in the trunk I'll take a look and see if/where there is room. Stay tuned.

Quick Reply: Strange parking lights issue