XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Strange Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Starting Problem

My 2000 XKR has an intermittent starting problem...a couple years apart, but kinda scary when it happens. Turn the ignition switch and the dashboard lights up as normal, but no starter. Error messages cycle through the message board. Can't get the shifter out of Park. All the electrics work just fine...lights, power windows, wipers, etc. But not the starter.

First time this happened a couple of years ago, I turned the lights on and off a few times and then tried the switch and the car started. No problems for two years. Then it happened again, twice in three days. This time I ran the window up and down a few times and tried the starter. Started right up. Next time I let it sit for an hour or two and it started.

Sounds like a relay problem. Anybody know how to check the starter relay? I don't want to get stranded.

CarlH

Old 09-01-2017, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,506 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by CarlH
Can't get the shifter out of Park.
Likely your brake switch. There are lots of posts, it is a very common problem. It is a minor pain to fix yourself, but doable. Part is generally available.

If you are stranded, there is a plastic plug in the shifter trim. It can be opened and the key can be inserted there to unlock the shifter solenoid. Just in case.

This brake switch does not typically fail for ever. It is usually flaky for a while, so keep playing with the brake pedal until you are moving again.

Best of luck, keep us posted.