XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Streamlining the X100???

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

We'll, I had the engine out the other week, even the engine has nice curves and lines - nice slippy form...

I'm trying to think - what are some of the systems that can be worked away from this machine to make it more just machine and less computer? Are there ways to basically place resistors in certain systems to make the monitors believe that everything is working while it's not measuring what's really happening?

Old 12-14-2020, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

There is a TON I don't know about the electrical systems in these cars and what little I do know says it would be impossible to separate their interdependence... I think that over time the degree to which systems in this car (say at 35yrs) is going to make it impossible for the average owner... That's just me.

I mean, doesn't the ABS and Trac Control talk directly to the Transmission, for instance,,,?

Old 12-14-2020, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,428 Likes on 1,570 Posts

I agree with ccfulton that Jaguar got the balance about right, although the idiot gauges were a mistake, IMO. First-time owners of luxury cars expect electric seats, windows and mirrors, etc.

I guess we would all like an easier life, but so much of the electronic complexity is related to safety, comfort and fuel efficiency/emissions management. The car is designed around this, which makes 'simplification' difficult.

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
I mean, doesn't the ABS and Trac Control talk directly to the Transmission, for instance,,,?
Just take a look through the CAN and SCP message lists in JTIS to see how much inter-module dialogue is going on.

Old 12-14-2020, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by michaelh
I agree with ccfulton that Jaguar got the balance about right, although the idiot gauges were a mistake, IMO. First-time owners of luxury cars expect electric seats, windows and mirrors, etc.

The car is designed around this, which makes 'simplification' difficult.

Just take a look through the CAN and SCP message lists in JTIS to see how much inter-module dialogue is going on.
I agree with CC too. I do. I've had the experience of driving hundreds of miles, intentionally taking old state wandering highways thru some of the most beautiful areas of the northeast and when she is all warmed up, running - top down - music, my pipe,,,, there are no words...

Would that drivability be completely lost without the systems and the underlying invisible conversations going on in the cars computer systems and modes of communication?

Then, there's when things aren't going right. I'm afraid that as this car ages and the ability for all of these systems to communicate deteriorate there will, at some point, be no retrieving it...? That would make me sad. I don't see how, with the exception of rare cars with rare and very knowledgeable owners, that many of these cars will not go thru a second round of folks having to I just can't anymore - that is, unless someway of working around the fragile interconnectedness of these systems is addressed. That's just me

I had a 1988 anniversary edition Nissan 300 Z with the T tops, v6, EFI, power windows, seats, mirrors etc etc. It flew - a LOVELY driver. No problems, ever... Lots of new fangled tech,,, but solid.

Old 12-15-2020, 06:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 479 Likes on 323 Posts

From my experience, When the XK was built it used the best technology available. Unfortunately, this was modular controls, and a lot of plastic. Today these have been superseded by microprocessors, and carbon fiber. As our cars age we can only hope for upgrades that will replace or repair these parts which will age with time.
On another vane, I think most people who enjoy Jags realize the value of a back-up car, just in case. Even my F-Type occasionally needs some down time.