XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Stuck in Gear!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 772 Posts
Default Stuck in Gear!

I was trying to replace the shifter trim plate but came into a few problems. The first is that I couldn't get the shift knob out. After I did get it out, I couldn't get the base of the shift knob out. It seems someone superglued it or something, it doesn't screw off. So I decided to start finaggling around it to swap the shifter trim.

Well, now I'm in deep %#& because after I managed to get the shifter trim (aluminum) installed, I now can't get the car out of gear. First it got stuck in Drive, now it's stuck in 2 somehow, but I can't actually move the lever from position. It's stuck just like when you try to put the car in gear when it's in park and you aren't pressing the brakes, except I'm pressing the brakes and can't get anything to budge. Also, because it's in gear, the car won't start.

Does anyone know if there's a way to free the shifter from gear in emergency situations.

I am afraid I might need to replace the entire assembly. I am so furious at myself right now. I should've stopped when I couldn't get the shift knob out.

Help please!

Last edited by giandanielxk8; 01-16-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:24 PM
Received 317 Likes on 243 Posts

Hmmm, as long as you didn't unplug the connector for gear shift solenoid or adjust the cable you should be ok. Below is the manual override - you'll need a t40 torx to remove the screw - careful as this is plastic.

Did you change the gear shift surround? Or the center bit - that shows PRND?

Published: 11-May-2011

2003.0 X100, 307-05

Automatic Transmission/Transaxle External Controls

Brake Shift Interlock Actuator Manual Override (G275668)

GENERAL PROCEDURES

1. Remove the selector lever blanking screw.

2. Using a suitable tool, press and hold the brake shift interlock actuator manual override and simultaneously move the selector lever to the "N" position.
  3. Remove the suitable tool.

4. Install the selector lever blanking screw.

The following users liked this post:
giandanielxk8 (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

I didn't unplug the connector (only the sport button one) and I didn't adjust any cables. Not that I know of. However, I just now noticed that the car's battery is starting to die. So, I'll try to attach some jumper cables and see if that helps.

If I can get that working, I may be able to then actuate it with the Manual Override.

I was in the process of changing the PRND trim.

Maybe because of the dying battery it wasn't getting enough juice to let me shift. Right now, the car is in Park and thinks it is in drive.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:37 PM

It almost sounds as if the cable is out of adjustment - or you took it off and forgot to tighten it.

If you have the 6 speed trans - I have seen a few issues where the bracket on the side of the transmission for shift cable come loose - if this is what you have, you'll need to take those bolts out and put Loctite on them so they don't come out again.

The procedure below for cable works for both 5 speed trans/6 speed trans cable adjustment - adjusting cable at shifter.

Hope this helps

Published: 11-May-2011

2003.0 X100, 307-05

Automatic Transmission/Transaxle External Controls

Selector Lever Cable Adjustment (G275444)

GENERAL PROCEDURES
  • Selector Cable Assembly - Check And Adjust
  • Automatic transmission
  • USED WITHINS
USED WITHINS

close

• Automatic transmission
  • USED WITHINS
USED WITHINS

close

• Automatic transmission
  • USED WITHINS
USED WITHINS

close

1. Move the transmission selector lever to the "R" position.
  2. Remove the floor console.
    For additional information, refer to Section 501-12 Instrument Panel and Console.

3. Detach the selector lever cable from the transmission selector lever linkage.

4. Detach the selector lever cable from the transmission selector lever bracket.
  5. NOTE:
    Fully extend the selector cable, then retract the selector cable one detent.

Make sure the selector lever cable is in the "R" position.
  6. Make sure the transmission selector lever is in the "R" position.
  7. NOTE:
    Make sure the selector cable and transmission selector lever have remained in the "R" position.

Attach the selector lever cable to the transmission selector lever bracket.
  8. NOTE:
    Make sure the selector cable and transmission selector lever have remained in the "R" position.

Attach the selector lever cable to the transmission selector lever linkage.
  9. NOTE:

Adjust the selector lever cable adjustment nuts to lock against the retaining bracket.
    1. Make sure all transmission selector lever positions select the relevant automatic transmission states.
    2. NOTE:
      When tightening the selector lever cable adjustment nuts, make sure both adjustment nuts are tightened to the specified torque simultaneously.

Tighten the selector lever cable adjustment nuts.
      1. Install the floor console.
        For additional information, refer to Section 501-12 Instrument Panel and Console.

The following users liked this post:
      giandanielxk8 (01-16-2018)
      Old 01-16-2018, 05:39 PM

Ok - the battery could cause that issue.

Even if the battery was dead - the procedure for manual override I posted will still work

Old 01-16-2018, 06:00 PM
      Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts

--danelxk8
      if the above doesn't solve the issue, lift the car where you can get under it and look on right side of the transmission where the shifting cable attaches. That attachment is held in place by two small, I think 8 mm bolts, they both may have come loose or worse--fallen out. replace the bolts or tighten them. With the exception of having to carl under the car--a piece of cake.

Cheers
      Chuck

Last edited by Chuck Schexnayder; 01-16-2018 at 06:03 PM.
      Old 01-16-2018, 07:14 PM
      Veteran Member

Alright, I did the manual override while having a jump-starter connected to the battery. I was then able to get the lever out of the park position into drive and back into park and managed to start the car.

While the car was on, I finished installing the aluminum trim. I turned off the car after a while but quickly started it again. I decided to test the shifter again to see if that little hiccup was a one time thing. Immediately I got the problem again. Sometimes the D blinks, but the lever was anywhere between Park and neutral, and oddly enough I could also move it to second (the shifter assembly is not bolted down at this moment). I can't, however, get the shifter into 3rd, 4th and Drive. This time the Jag wouldn't let me remove the key.

While I let the anxiety from that subside, I drove the bolt and washer that goes underneath the center of shifter assembly, which seems to hold in place a plastic that rotates about on an axis. Somehow I managed to get the car to read fifth but the shifer would not go past neutral. I tried the key this time and lo and behold, I was able to remove it. That's when I left it in the 1 or 2 position and reset the windows and called it a night.

I'm thinking you're right and it may be that the cable is out of adjustment. I will try adjusting it during the weekend if I ever get a break from studying.

Last edited by giandanielxk8; 01-16-2018 at 07:17 PM.
      Old 01-16-2018, 07:15 PM
      Veteran Member

Btw, here's where I'm at:

Old 01-16-2018, 08:44 PM
      Received 696 Likes on 346 Posts

I'm guessing you put a lot of radial torque on a shifter shaft that isn't designed for it. I'd remove the center console to get a better look at the mechanism and look for something bent.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:38 PM
      Veteran Member

I managed to fix it for the most part, by readjusting the transmission selector cable. While I was doing that I noticed that the problem was that the shifter lever had made it out of the plastic piece that pulls the shifter cable. Once I managed to get everything in the correct position and aligned, it seemed the problem had been fixed.

Well, not quite, or maybe I have a new problem? Now I can only get the car out of park and in gear by pressing the override switch. And, even when the car is in park and off, it makes the ~10 second beeping that indicates the car is off but you have moved selector out of park. Weird... Anyone have any ideas?

I’m thinking that maybe I have missed something in the process of putting everything back together. But, the problem seems to be like some electrical signal is not reaching a module or something...

Could it be that my break switch finally went caput? It has already been giving me the amber light with the check rear lights/cruise control not available warning.

I did manage to drive the cat a few feet, until I realized I have a flat tire.

Nothing is simple with these cars, is it? Well, at least it’s not stuck in gear anymore. Once I get a new tire, it can be driven by using the gear selector override method.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:43 PM
      Veteran Member

Can a bad brake switch cause the the Not In Park beep while simultaneously not allowing you to shift out of park until you use the overide switch?

The car was already displaying the Check Rear Lights and Cruise Control not available amber light warnings.