XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Supercharger Coolant Coagulation (Ketchup in the Intercooler)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 11:20 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Supercharger Coolant Coagulation (Ketchup in the Intercooler)

I descided to change out the coolant at 15K miles not knowing when it was last changed, if ever. Thanks to some forum help I got the car jacked up in front, removed the Radiator drain plug, lowered the car and uneventfully empied the system of the old orange coolant. I jacked the car back up and removed the Supercharger Radiator plug. Only about a quarter cup of pretty normal looking coolant came out.

Upon removing the Top Plug with a 19mm Bolt head, I found that the coolant that I can see under the plug is Jelled, It's not hardened but it sure doesn't flow. Thank goodness to last sumers conserative driving the Supercarger didn't fry.

Has anyone else had this problem? The Radiator and Resivoir coolant looked fine. What should I be doing and not doing? Any way to disolve?

If I have to take it to be back flushed is their a known procedure?

Old 05-07-2015, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Here's the procedure I used to flush my entire system, while I didn't remove the SC rad plug performing this flush cycle (1 clean, 1 chemical, 1 refill) I had all new fluid flowing. (I'd see clear water in the SC fill when I was flushing). It's important to perform the heat cycles.

Looks like a mix of coolant at one point, it may dissolve when hot.. you could heat engine then open port when pressure is released to verify but at this point a full flush should be performed.

Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
rperformance (05-07-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

In addition to flushing the system, you should check whether intercooler electric pump is actually operating.

The following users liked this post:
rperformance (05-07-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 07:45 PM

I bougght a suction pump this morning, pulled hoses on the intercooler and sucked out what I could. My Jag Tek told me that the gelling collects at the high point in the system. I'm going to do a couple of fill / drain heat cyles running the sc pump and see what happens. Thanks.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:57 PM

I can hear the pump running with the key turned on. If I do a refill and heat cycle, would running the pump help push coolant down through the Superchager Radiator with the drain plug open? The system looked ull when I first opend the Intercooler pug but not much came out of the SC Radiator when I pulled the plug to drain it.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

I've posted 2 pics from the JTIS of the SC cooling you will note the IC is shared with the main radiator((note connection by '16') as well so you don't do 'just' the SC-IC loop.
The pump runs when the key is in the 2 position or car started.

Attached Thumbnails Supercharger Coolant Coagulation (Ketchup in the Intercooler)-sccool11.png   Supercharger Coolant Coagulation (Ketchup in the Intercooler)-sccool1.png  
The following 2 users liked this post by jamdmyers:
Roger_B (10-14-2016), rperformance (05-10-2015)
Old 05-10-2015, 11:48 PM
Default Got it bled.

Originally Posted by jamdmyers
I've posted 2 pics from the JTIS of the SC cooling you will note the IC is shared with the main radiator((note connection by '16') as well so you don't do 'just' the SC-IC loop.
The pump runs when the key is in the 2 position or car started.
Thanks for the Schematic, I wasn't aware thre was a shared connection. After I ceaned the intercooler lines and flushed the top end, the remaining old coolant came gushing out of the Cooler Radiator. There must have been a blackage of coolang Jell causing an airlock. It looks like a cake walk to finish up.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:16 AM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Is this the first coolant change your car has had? Usually this does not happen unless different types of coolant have been mixed (usually a brown color) or your coolant has completely broken down (time related). I would be very worried about gel trapped in other parts of your engine and radiator affecting the efficiency of your cooling system. You may need to use a chemical cleaner designed to dissolve the gel to properly clean the system. Our temp gauges show "normal" from 185-245 degrees so if you were running a bit hot you would never know.