XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Suprising Discovery Using Engine Restorer

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014 | 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by aode06
Please watch this video, no more rumors or games here.

I have re tested the compression and all of my cylinders are up more 11 psi each more than before.

I have seen an increase of 4-6 mpg city,instant start up and more power as well.
The nikasil liner is old garbage,they dont put the chemicals is fuel that they use to.
See post #5 above. This is an old beat up engine that's one step away from overhaul or the scrapyard. Cylinder #1 and 2 did not gain anything - proving that you can't fix what's not broken. Cylinder #3 and 4 did come back to a decent pressure, but it's temporary and a poor substitute for a proper repair.

There's no evidence that this product prevents the problem from happening, nor do these cars exhibit any trend of premature wear anyway.

Old 03-08-2014 | 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Did anyone post that they used RESTORE to prevent a problem?

No ... they used RESTORE to remedy a problem.

If using RESTORE let's an owner avoid a repair bill then it has served the owner well.

It's a queston of owner expectations as to the efficacy of RESTORE.

The following 2 users liked this post by plums:
Gus (03-11-2014), Mr. Feathers (03-10-2014)
Old 03-08-2014 | 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by plums
Did anyone post that they used RESTORE to prevent a problem?
No?

Originally Posted by aode06
I had no compression issues,but wanted a product to reduce nik liner wear,...........

Old 03-10-2014 | 04:22 PM
Veteran Member

Be careful, Restore is a viscosity increaser. If you are already running full oil pressure, the heavy oil may activate your overpressure bypass and put unfiltered oil through your bearings. Just a heads up on the downside of this stuff. Don't use it unless you have nothing to lose.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (03-12-2014)
Old 03-10-2014 | 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by oldmots
Be careful, Restore is a viscosity increaser. If you are already running full oil pressure, the heavy oil may activate your overpressure bypass and put unfiltered oil through your bearings. Just a heads up on the downside of this stuff. Don't use it unless you have nothing to lose.
According to their website, it doesn't affect viscosity:

Does RESTORE increase the motor oil viscosity?
No, RESTORE does not change the viscosity of the motor oil.

Who is right?

Jumpin' Jag Flash (03-12-2014)
Old 03-11-2014 | 01:04 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I used Restore in my Rav4 for years and it made a world of difference, I should mention it had 300,000mi on it. I do not believe in Placebos nor do I recommend them! As for the product being used to prevent cylinder washing in Nikasil I would say it works from the few e-mails received relating to that application.

aode06 (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014 | 04:40 PM

I haven't had the problem since using it. Rigorous science? Nah. Experience? Why not use it on Nikasil engines.

Old 03-11-2014 | 08:03 PM
|

Originally Posted by Gus
I used Restore in my Rav4 for years and it made a world of difference, I should mention it had 300,000mi on it. I do not believe in Placebos nor do I recommend them! As for the product being used to prevent cylinder washing in Nikasil I would say it works from the few e-mails received relating to that application.

The same here, It made a world of difference after some mileage, no more cylinder wash and power has jumped up big time.This stuff will not effect anything, its thin , so no need to worry, its not thick honey oil lol, so the manufacturer website is correct, as I'm speaking to you as a guy that just put some in my engine, and the jaguar loves it.

The following 2 users liked this post by aode06:
Mr. Feathers (03-12-2014), weisberg (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014 | 10:19 PM

I put some in mine yesterday. I'll report back on results after I've gone through a tank of gas...

tberg (03-11-2014)
Old 03-14-2014 | 07:11 AM

Mine is in the post, a 1Ltr can is recommended for a 4ltr engine according to the info. Cost £49 including postage. Worth a try as he's been in storage since back end of August 2013. I'll check pot pressure before and after when I do the oil change in a few weeks time and report back.

ArtyH

Superman001 (03-14-2014)
Old 04-01-2014 | 12:50 PM

I'm sad to report that I notice no difference after adding a can to my oil at the last change last week.

Is it supposed to take a while? A few treatments?

Old 04-02-2014 | 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Feathers
I'm sad to report that I notice no difference after adding a can to my oil at the last change last week.

Put mine in yesterday after an oil change, will test it out during the next few weeks and post. Due to bad weather did not have the chance to do a pot check. I bought mine for about £49 I think for a 1itr can. How much was yours and how much did you put in?
Think it takes a few miles over 500 to 1000 rings a bell.

Old 04-02-2014 | 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Feathers

See my comments above.

Old 04-02-2014 | 02:09 PM

Can't say I notice anything after 300 miles.

Old 04-02-2014 | 04:55 PM

There's no reason to notice any difference if you didn't have a problem to begin with. If your compression went up 10psi/cylinder it wouldn't matter. Brutal recommends it for cylinder wash and so far it's worked for me, but we'll see. Maybe on high milage/worn engines it would restore power.

Old 04-02-2014 | 06:58 PM

Without enumerating all of my experiences with the cars and trucks that I have owned over the last forty years, I can say that it is my experience that additives can have some benefit for engines that have had a lot of wear, or are gummed up, but are totally useless for an engine that has actual damage. As previously stated, there is no such thing as "miracle in a can".

Also, if the engine is in relatively good shape, there won't be any noticeable improvements.

There are some people who are "purists" who disdain adding any sort of additive to an engine. One of those was a gentleman who lived across the street from me when I was in my early twenties and he was the Chief Mechanic for Delta in the New Orleans airport. Any time he saw me working on my car (at that time, a 1968 Barracuda) he would come over to lend a hand. He disdained any use of any additive whatsoever. One time I had some leakage, and I don't still remember what it was, but I was putting some anti leak product into my car. He came over and told me that it was useless and that I should not do it. I asked him why not, and he said, "It will ruin the gasket." I said, "So what should I do?" He said, "Replace the gasket." I said, "Well, then what does it matter if this additive ruins it?" and he walked away. Of course, in retrospect, as he was a mechanic for jet engines on airplanes and I can see where he was coming from, as in his job they would surely replace any such gasket, rather than trying some sort of additive.

BTW, the additive fixed the leak.

Last edited by Kevin D; 04-02-2014 at 07:01 PM. Reason: more info.
Old 04-03-2014 | 04:08 AM

Yes Kevin D, I agree with most of what you say. I used to use an additive called " Greased Lightening " for the engine, and I would put it in every oil change, gave it to my friends and they loved it too, but it is almost impossible to by now and it changed its name a few years ago. So this time I am trying the Ametech Restore more as an insurance than anything else, as there is not a problem with the motor that I am aware of. While I do not expect to see any improvement in the performance, I do not expect it to deteriorate but to stay the way it is longer.

Old 04-03-2014 | 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by ArtyH
Yes Kevin D, I agree with most of what you say. I used to use an additive called " Greased Lightening " for the engine, and I would put it in every oil change, gave it to my friends and they loved it too, but it is almost impossible to by now and it changed its name a few years ago. So this time I am trying the Ametech Restore more as an insurance than anything else, as there is not a problem with the motor that I am aware of. While I do not expect to see any improvement in the performance, I do not expect it to deteriorate but to stay the way it is longer.
Well, obviously, the very best thing to do is to maintain an engine as best you can to avoid any problems, but even a very well maintained engine will have a lot of wear after several years and 150,000 miles. As long as there is no internal damage or stuck rings or valves and so forth I have had times when additives have improved the performance and mileage.

I used to drive up to 2,000 or more miles a week and I have had three vehicles that I put over 230,000 miles on with no internal damage to the engine, but the transmissions and suspension were giving out or had given out, which prompted me to buy another vehicle.

Old 04-03-2014 | 10:17 AM

These engines are known to consistantly outlast the cars they are installed in without using additives of any type.

Your owners manual has a specific caution against supplemental additives.

Old 04-03-2014 | 11:25 AM

How much was yours and how much did you put in?
This is going to hurt you... I only spent $9, on the large can intended for 8 cylinder engines. I guess that makes up for some of the outrageous prices we get over here on British parts?

Quick Reply: Suprising Discovery Using Engine Restorer