XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension fault won't go away

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 11:43 AM
Received 67 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Suspension fault won't go away

2001 XKR. Suspension fault warning. Identified failed strut mount (top of shock no longer centered in bushing). Replaced strut mount with new part. Suspension fault warning remains. Any ideas?

Old 09-10-2016, 04:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

This is a warning of the Adaptive Damping system. Ensure the wires are seated properly in the top of the shocks (front it easy back not so much), also ensure connector to ACDM control unit is seated, it's in the trunk and potentially may have gotten knocked loose. (#5 in pic)

Attached Thumbnails Suspension fault won't go away-acdm.png  
The following users liked this post:
Salo (06-20-2018)
Old 09-10-2016, 09:08 AM

Thank you jamdmyers. Since it is Saturday, I will check each of your recommendations this morning. I downloaded the linked page (1070001) to see the full diagram, and will check all 8 items. Thanks again!

Old 09-13-2016, 02:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me know what you found out. 2003 XKR with suspension fault light on…Comes and goes

Old 09-14-2016, 08:03 AM

Hello monster48. It will be my pleasure to keep you advised. Right now car in prep for painting, so it might be awhile.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:33 PM

Hello JAMDMYERS:

Thank you again for your recent reply to my post. As you suggested, I checked every wire and cleaned each connector, as shown in the diagram you provided (actually the full diagram with all eight callouts). Nothing helped, so I experimented a little. Note to MONSTER48, this might also help you. Went into trunk and disconnected the Jaguar Suspension Control Module, p/n LJA1970AB located near the spare, closest to the rear of the compartment. Properly covered the loose connector. Result: the SUSPENSION FAULT warning is gone! Please accept that I am 70+ years, and drive the 16-year old car like it is made of glass. So here is my new question: Are you aware of any additional damage that I might incur with the ADC-Control Unit removed? Thank you very much for your support. Very respectfully, Robert Grisar

Old 09-18-2016, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 323 Posts

Disconnecting the CATS Control Unit will remove the Fault Message but the CATS Shocks will be set in the Stiff Mode at all times.

The following 2 users liked this post by Paul Pavlik:
Salo (06-20-2018), toaster (04-28-2018)
Old 09-19-2016, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,502 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Grisar
Suspension fault warning remains. Any ideas?
Once you are done checking all the "obvious" signs of problem at no charge, there will be no substitute for the "proper" answer. This control module is connected to the serial data bus that can be reached through the diagnostic port, as long as the right diagnostic tools are connected. I have no doubt this module has built-in diagnostics and if fully capable of telling you what it thinks is wrong, in the form of one or more error codes.

The easy answer is a visit to the dealer, but other Jaguar/Land Rover shops should have these tools as well. There are also options to buy your own tools, but this is a separate discussion altogether.

Once you have the codes, you can post them here, and even do more specific searches for prior history because now you have the data to work with. You will likely get a "C" code, from the "ADCM" module, as listed here (this documentation technically applies to later cars):

X103_C_DTC.pdf

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Salo (06-20-2018)
Old 09-29-2016, 05:14 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Accelerometer problem.

[[B[/B][/B]
Originally Posted by fmertz
Once you are done checking all the "obvious" signs of problem at no charge, there will be no substitute for the "proper" answer. This control module is connected to the serial data bus that can be reached through the diagnostic port, as long as the right diagnostic tools are connected. I have no doubt this module has built-in diagnostics and if fully capable of telling you what it thinks is wrong, in the form of one or more error codes.

The easy answer is a visit to the dealer, but other Jaguar/Land Rover shops should have these tools as well. There are also options to buy your own tools, but this is a separate discussion altogether.

Once you have the codes, you can post them here, and even do more specific searches for prior history because now you have the data to work with. You will likely get a "C" code, from the "ADCM" module, as listed here (this documentation technically applies to later cars):

X103_C_DTC.pdf

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:36 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had a similar issue with a fault that would not go away. Only figured it out when dropping the rear suspension to change shock mounts. The wire connecting to the rear shock had gotten pinched and had broken internally. Had to repair the wire, which sorted it out.

I've also read that the connectors to the rear shocks can sometimes pop off of their own accord due to shock movement.

Anyway, it's the simplest possible explanation and worth taking a look at (if you haven't already).

Best of Luck!

Robert Grisar (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 01:45 PM

SUSPENSION FAULT --- SOLVED (sort of)

Six months ago, my 2001 Jaguar XKR Convertible signaled a SUSPENSION FAULT alert (yellow).

Sajiv W from Sri Lanka was spot on in his post immediately above. Thanks again!

After months of trying all means of making the fault go away, I finally disconnected the Adaptive Suspension Module in my trunk.

About a month ago, I finally got back to solving the problem.

From the Electrical guide, part of Figure 6.3 is reproduced.

This shows the wiring to my four shock absorbers. Pretty simple. I had easy access to the front shocks, but the rear ones were incredibly difficult.

---

With the module disconnected, I measured the ohms between the pairs of wires in the harness. Three indicated between 6 and 10 ohms. The fourth one (rear right) was an open circuit.

In the non-moving mode all should be +12V. With the module connected, and the ignition in position II, I measured the voltage on each wire. Seven of the eight were +12V, however one was 0V. This was the same one with the open resistance circuit (right rear).

I started another post asking how to gain access to this shock absorber. I learned it is possible, but extraordinarily difficult -- far more difficult than I felt comfortable doing.

I needed to either validate the wiring to the shock absorber, replace the shock, or find another solution.

I bought a brown relay on eBay, similar to all the other relays in the car. Today I rerouted the wires that normally go the the shock absorber's solenoid, to the similar posts on the relay. Everything works! First time in six months.

I believe that the suspension system normally defaults to a hard ride, unless three conditions are satisfied. From the workshop manual, page 378:

Description of adaptive suspension module from page 378 of 3386 in my workshop manual.

---

The test drive was wonderful. When rolling over smooth surfaces, the car gently absorbs the minor perturbations in road surface. Over a bump, like local speed bumps in my neighborhood, the three active shocks switch to hard ride and help maintain the car's stability. The right rear shock does not participate, and is always in the default hard ride mode.

I hope that this is helpful to others.

Very respectfully, Bob G in Florida

The following 2 users liked this post by Robert Grisar:
Salo (06-20-2018), Watersidejag (05-03-2020)