XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

SUV ran over the front of my car!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2021, 09:59 AM
Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts
Default SUV ran over the front of my car!

Hey folks,
impatient shopper ran over left side of my XKR. Insurance is likely going to total it. It does not appear to have frame damage. I'm searching for used parts to rebuild with but as long as I'm dropping the money would like to change to the 2007 type bumper cover and grill. Not original but I like that cleaner look.
can anone tell me if it would align and bolt right up??
thanks

Last edited by GGG; 12-20-2021 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Edit typo in thread title
The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (12-26-2021)
Old 12-18-2021, 11:03 AM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Ooof that's a painful sight... hopefully everyone's unhurt.... Pleased you're planning on a resurrection!

Old 12-18-2021, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,390 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Sorry to see this. Doh! What is wrong with people?

It does look eminently repairable:- the hood looks like it escaped damage?

Old 12-18-2021, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,673 Likes on 993 Posts

Parking lots are scary places.

Even more so because the police won’t help resolve anything since the lots are “private property”.

Seeing your damage makes me want 360* cameras even more. Santa, are you listening ?

Z

Old 12-19-2021, 04:37 PM
Received 282 Likes on 164 Posts

Did the driver survive the incident?? They should not have. But then again there are bigger problems in this world. Looks fixable to me and I like the thought of saving it.
Yes, that is painful to look at. Best of luck. TM

Old 12-20-2021, 10:49 AM
Received 195 Likes on 73 Posts

I've restored four of my cars that were totaled like this in the last 5 years. One was having a deer jump in front of our daughter at speed and the others were due to the other driver's negligence that I suspect was texting because they were all younger drivers hitting me in stupid ways. (This looks similar to your damage: Volvo deer strike & restoration story: https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=91753 )

Assuming it'll get totaled and you might want to buy it back to restore, here's what I've learned:
-
  1. You will take an unfair loss on this. Adding insult to injury, you won't be compensated for all your lost time dealing with the aftermath of the other person's incompetence or the fact that you are now being forced to unwillingly sell your vehicle. Both of these have a real value that you won't be able to easily recover from the other driver or their insurance company. Since the insurance companies would all lose from paying either of these, they don't make this part of the settlement process. Each time one of my cars gets hit, I lose thousands of dollars of my time dealing with the aftermath. The next time someone runs into me, I plan to track and charge them my consulting rate for my time, either thru the insurance process or through the civil courts.
    -
  2. Demand that her Insurance Company (IC) get you a rental car. This will pressure their IC to not drag their feet on the settlement process. If possible, work with your IC to get the rental car that gets returned only after the case is completely settled (see #6 below).
    -
  3. Don't expect a fair value assessment of your vehicle from their IC, they will low-ball you. If possible let your IC, who isn't on the hook for the cost and wants to keep you as a happy customer do the vaulation. The IC for the kid who totaled my old Audi Cabriolet offered me $1500. My IC correctly assessed it at much more than that. I took my IC's settlement and let the two ICs fight it out.
    -
  4. Don't expect a fair value assessment from her IC. They will look for comparable vehicles in the region and pick the worse ones. Demand to see their list of comparables. I researched and contacted some of their comparables and discovered they were using parts cars and non-runners off craigslist to generate their numbers. Come up with your own list of comparable values.
    -
  5. Don't expect a fair value assessment from her IC. They will generate a comparable number, then come out, inspect your vehicle and lower the offer substantially based on any flaw they can find on your vehicle that's less than perfect such as rock-chips, worn seat/carpet, oil on the ground, dents etc. Since you weren't planning on selling your car the day it got it, you didn't just get it detailed, so they will find flaws. Don't allow this as it double penalizes you because your vehicles current As-Is condition is already factored into the average of the comparable prices that are also in as-is condition.
    -
  6. Don't expect a fair value assessment from her IC. Once their IC offers you their low-ball settlement offer, that starts the clock for you to lose the rental car in a day or so, even if the offer is ridiculously unrealistically low. No matter how nice they seem, the other persons IC and their inspectors have your worst interests at heart.
    -
  7. If you have any alternatives, don't let them tow it. Especially anyplace where you will be charged storage fees. Preferably, keep it in your possession, they will have to come to you to inspect the damage. It also avoids having anything "disappear" from the car.
    -
  8. The buy-back price for a totaled vehicle is ~10% of the payoff amount, but your will end up with a salvage title. Check that your insurance will pay full value, rather than salvage value, on a restored salvage-titled car if it gets wrecked again. The risk is that the other persons Insurance Company will only pay you salvage value if you get hit again after you restore it.

The following 2 users liked this post by sanchius:
cjd777 (12-20-2021), DavidYau (12-26-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 10:05 PM

Thanks for advice from all. Michigan no-fault requires my insurance to pay loss. I got what I would consider a fair deal with my adjuster today of $12.5k. They will also reimburse Michigan sales tax of around $600 if I buy another vehicle of similar value within 30 days of settlement. Seeing as I paid $7500 for it 2 years ago and put 15k miles on it I think I'm coming out even.
Replacement I'm looking at is 07 XKR black on black w/96k on it. For $13,900. Cosmetically it appears to be similar to 02 with stone chips and some minor scratches, worn seats. It is in Salt Lake so I'm trying to find someone to check it out for me so I don't waste a plane ride out there or feel compelled to buy it because I'd have to drop big $$ to get next day flight back to Michigan. I'm gonna create separate post on the 'help me out' topic.

Old 12-22-2021, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Sounds like you might be coming out O.K.(considering your are losing this beauty. Good luck with the process. With the drivers I encounter here in S.W. Fla., I am thinking of installing a "Cow Catcher" on the front and rear of my '06.

Old 12-22-2021, 09:42 AM

I also posted this in X150 forum.
CeeJay and his wife from that area went and we had a Skype test drive!!! Car was OK but then the Restricted Performance came in and it's a pass.

Thanks all