XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping another V8 into an XK8

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 08:34 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
Default I'd like to do just the opposite

I bought 2 65 Jag S-Types. One is a parts car that I would like to put an AJ-V8 into, but don't have one, and getting the computer and all the electronics to work would be a night-mare. Wish someone would make a stand alone computer to run these engines? BTW, I plan to cut in half and make a 2 door out of it; while retaining the roof.... Beecham made a 2 door did Mark II, but they made it a convertible..they also have Mark II with a SC 4.0 Jag engine I might add...nice.

However, a SB Chevy is so cheap and easy, and I can have a 5 speed manual...so that's probably what I'll do.

Beacham Jaguar MK2 - Supercharged Classic Restoration with XJR V8

Old 09-30-2011, 12:34 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Fla Steve
Wish someone would make a stand alone computer to run these engines?
There's a fair few aftermarket suppliers which make computers & harnesses for swapping oddball engines of any type into hot rods. Maybe something like that would work?

Old 09-30-2011, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

I can think of at least 4 companies that would have an ECU, I use one of them in my track car, there's even one which will allow you to convert it to carbs if you wished.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

My brother bought a 1998 XK8 and he needs a change the engine. I heard that the 4.0 litre engines are troublesome because of the silicon liners and that the 4.2 litres that came out in 03' are much better. My brother plans to keep this car and make it a project car. What are the things I would need to change on the car in order to install the 4.2 litre engine? Would I need the 6 speed transmission as well and change the wiring harness?

Old 10-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

To be pedantic its nikasil liners and also they are actually much better than steel lined engines, but having the extra 200cc always helps, I have done it a few times, just use all the stuff off your 4.0, plugs, coil packs, ancillaries, dont try and change everything from analogue to digital, just look at your coil packs, if you have 2 wires they are analogue if you have 4 digital, I am unsure of the change over year but I think it is nearer to 2000 than 98 so you will have to use your 4.0 coil packs rather than the 4.2.
Everything will bolt up to you 5 speed box which again I prefer to the 6 speed. I have a 4.2 nikasil engine in my XKR (I stroked it)

Have fun

Old 10-04-2011, 04:53 PM

Thanks for the information XK Racer!! If we get the 4.2 litre engine we will most likely want to bolt it to the 5 speed tansmission instead of having to find a 6 speed. Hopefully, my brother and I will start this project this weekend. Have you had any performance or electrical problems with your modifications on your XKR? If so, how did you bypass the computer codes? It seems like Jag engines are very sensitive when you add performance parts and play with the ECU. I added performance parts to my XJ8 and the engine light turns on and it effects the car. However, everything is new and fine and it has been adjusted, but the light occurs once in awhile. My brother wants to put performance parts on his XK8 but I fear he will face the same problems.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JagManBonano
Thanks for the information XK Racer!! If we get the 4.2 litre engine we will most likely want to bolt it to the 5 speed tansmission instead of having to find a 6 speed. Hopefully, my brother and I will start this project this weekend. Have you had any performance or electrical problems with your modifications on your XKR? If so, how did you bypass the computer codes? It seems like Jag engines are very sensitive when you add performance parts and play with the ECU. I added performance parts to my XJ8 and the engine light turns on and it effects the car. However, everything is new and fine and it has been adjusted, but the light occurs once in awhile. My brother wants to put performance parts on his XK8 but I fear he will face the same problems.
well tell your brother to rest easy because performance parts for the xk8 wont trigger a check engine light simply because there is none. well.... if you have an xk8 you can put on an exhaust and a hot air intake and neither of them are any good (except for the intake which gives u less power)

so do an ls1

Old 10-04-2011, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

I have had no probs with my XKR as far as codes are concerned, even with everything I have done.

As Anthony has said, there is not much you can do to XK8, you can change the cats which is better than changing the exhaust, but I would recommend doing both.
Cold air intakes work if done properly, use a CDA box and pipe from the front, find someone to do a remap. Anything over that and you will be talking big money.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the information Anthony and XK Racer! We just found a 4.0 engine with 50,000 miles on it. It should be installed by Saturday. As far adding performance parts to the XK8, we will leave the stock intake and add a K&N filter. Then we will add the exhaust by Larini and remove some resonators. After that's completed we are going to get the ECU reprogrammed. It will be an interesting project!

Old 10-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
Default 4.0 vs 4.2

I'm glad JagManBonano bought the 4.0 because: I thought I've read in the forum a 4.2 won't fit the 4.0 suspension sub-assembly or cross member. No one mentioned this. It is my understanding the 4.2 oil pump and sump pan are different and thus the craddle was changed. Is that true? Then you have the different coils, throttle body, sensors, computer, etc. to deal with.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by Fla Steve
I thought I've read in the forum a 4.2 won't fit the 4.0 suspension sub-assembly or cross member.
This is untrue, you re-use the lower sump from the 4.0, but you do use the oil pump from the 4.2. I have done 2 installs, and many more have done so also.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Default XK8 Engine Conversion

This apparently was just posted recently- no affiliation:

Jaguar Specialties

Have you guys seen this site or know this supplier?

Old 10-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by XJSC-Guy
This apparently was just posted recently- no affiliation:

Jaguar Specialties

Have you guys seen this site or know this supplier?
Wow.... those guys are local. Oh my....

Old 12-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Another video of my LS swap

Just finished some minor editing to one of the 'in process' vids for the jag LS1. I figured this would be a good crowd. The acoustics are no good, but I'll post some video soon with shots from outside where there's much less echoing.

Jaguar XK8 with LS T56 6 speed h pipe installation idling - YouTube

Old 12-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

So how do the SMOG rules apply to this?

My son is putting a 2000 LS1 Camaro engine into his 67 Camaro and we don't worry about smog because of the car's age.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by stevepaa
So how do the SMOG rules apply to this?

My son is putting a 2000 LS1 Camaro engine into his 67 Camaro and we don't worry about smog because of the car's age.
It's based on the vehicle the new engine is installed into ... but a '67 is old enough that there are concessions for smog... you shouldn't have to pass any emmissions. California is twisted though, you might want to verify that.

For my vehicle, the emissions had to be compliant for the XK8, which is why I left the catalytic converters, and the vehicle passed.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:31 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

andrezbim,

i asked the guy from jag specialties (andrew i think) if there was a way to modify the ls1 in the xk8 such as a supercharger, haltech, headers, cams, ect. he said he couldnt answer my question because he was unsure. to me it isnt worth putting in the ls1 if i cant modify it. being that you have messed with the jag electronics and swapped in the ls1 i think you might know a little better, would it be possible to modify the ls1 in the xk8?

Old 12-31-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by anthonyisd3ad
andrezbim,

i asked the guy from jag specialties (andrew i think) if there was a way to modify the ls1 in the xk8 such as a supercharger, haltech, headers, cams, ect. he said he couldnt answer my question because he was unsure. to me it isnt worth putting in the ls1 if i cant modify it. being that you have messed with the jag electronics and swapped in the ls1 i think you might know a little better, would it be possible to modify the ls1 in the xk8?
Yes I've chatted with Andrew plenty.

To answer your questions.
Yes you can add a supercharger. Space might be an issue but I think you'd be alright with something like an Eaton 4 lobe - that would fit quite nicely atop the engine. Edelbrock sells a kit that'd fit.

Now a Haltech would be great for tuning, but Andrew's module uses serial data from the GM ecu, so unless you could replicate the info somehow, you'll probably lose gages and some other functionality. You don't need a Haltech or standalone at all for that matter to run a supercharger, there are plenty of tunes out there that would probably work well.

The key is to continue using the GM ecu and Andrew's module for integration.

Headers would have to be custom - even the block huggers shortys didn't work well for space - but only because the exit went right into the steering box [I tried]. Space is available at the heads so something custom with a better exit [more aft] would work out nicely.

Cams are totally possible. I used a high rpm cam in mine actually. Just need to update the LS1 tune, and the tuning map isn't what makes Andrew's module go - so no problem there.

I also updated my tune to void the EGR, rear o2 sensors, and change the thermostat for fans - so lot's of variations possible.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:32 PM

What are your horsepower goals?
I think if you want to be under 500 - there are better ways - Vortec 6200 perhaps? I wouldn't be afraid of a truck motor in this application, but you'll need to swap some parts for integration - ls6 intake and some bracketry likely.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:16 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

There is some good info about GM's newest V-8 in Hot Rod magazine online, where they built a high horse engine. It's been around 14 years, and has finally been accepted within the GM customer community.

There have been many versions of this engine over the years. A 1 ton truck will have a more torquey engine, where a Corvette engine will have a higher horsepower higher rpm engine.

Originally, they had very restrictive heads. Great speed parts are finally available as hot rodders are somewhat getting away from the 350 derived engines.

They're not very hard to really get the horse's out of--with different heads and bigger injectors.

Quick Reply: Swapping another V8 into an XK8