XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping another V8 into an XK8

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i saw all three of his videos. its nice to see that his program works but i cant wait till someone releases a video that shws the car driving down the street, reving at idle, and a clip of the car gunning it down the street

Old 01-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andrezbim
I like your idea.

Fact: Andrew at JS is converting GM ECU serial data to Can BUS data to make the Cluster function properly and the Jag ECU is removed completely from the closed loop CAN.

Fact: In my setup the shifter module is completely removed from the CAN BUS, and I still get cluster functionality.

My point being you're not off the deep end.

Thought: Can you convert your "X" engine data to similar serial data and use Andrew's module?
2nd thought: Can you make your "X" engine run off the GM ECU? I bet you can.

Otherwise I don't see how you can get away from some sort of custom digi to digi converter. Good luck with that!

Other thought - there's nothing wrong with an LS - and they come in so many flavors it's hard not to see the potential.
I'm glad to see that I'm not TOTALLY off the deep end here! Just partly!

After just a few days I think that me and my client are going to back up and punt and go the LS route. Don't think I mentioned that I'm attempting to put a V8 in an XJ8 for a customer - it's not my car. I'm just the swapper here! Anyway, his original goal was to swap an older-style 350 SBC + a non-electronic tranny in the car and kind of bypass the Jaguar system. Which I'm sure would be fine and dandy if the CAN/BUS system wasn't such a roadblock to the vast majority of people (including myself).

If Andrew is the one that has it figured out at this point, then I guess we'll be contacting him again and possibly getting some parts! At which time I'll post up some video of the car in action for everyone to see!

Old 01-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Received 362 Likes on 141 Posts
Default XK8 and XJ8 LSx Conversions

Guys

Thanks for your interest in these great conversions.

In response to a post on this thread- it's a great idea for me to post another video of the XK8 prototype starting up and driving off- that's no problem. I'll put that up shortly...

I've been driving that car a lot recently and it's really a ball. Great balance and as you can imagine the performance is a kick too. It only makes me wonder what one of these things with an LS2 (or better, with 400+ hp on tap) would be like. Maybe the next one will go that way- I'm looking for our next in-house project so.......

If you have any questions on the conversions or the car, post a reply here or you can Email me directly at: Andrew@JaguarSpecialties.com

Thanks

Andrew

Old 01-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarSpecialties
Guys

Thanks for your interest in these great conversions.

And thanks to YOU for your interest in offering aftermarket options for these great cars. Some of us believe in Jag-only powerplants, some are more flexible and looking for ways to keep their cars going for decades to come.

We don't have many aftermarket options, so I (for one) am grateful that you've put some of your own resources towards this development. Thanks.

And yes, more video would be great.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HectorM52
I'm glad to see that I'm not TOTALLY off the deep end here! Just partly!

After just a few days I think that me and my client are going to back up and punt and go the LS route. Don't think I mentioned that I'm attempting to put a V8 in an XJ8 for a customer - it's not my car. I'm just the swapper here! Anyway, his original goal was to swap an older-style 350 SBC + a non-electronic tranny in the car and kind of bypass the Jaguar system. Which I'm sure would be fine and dandy if the CAN/BUS system wasn't such a roadblock to the vast majority of people (including myself).

If Andrew is the one that has it figured out at this point, then I guess we'll be contacting him again and possibly getting some parts! At which time I'll post up some video of the car in action for everyone to see!
I found a potential solution to your problem.. EFI connection makes conversoin kits using the 24x reluctor and a GM ECU for an LS. Might be just what you need to make the old SBC work in the application.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:42 AM
Default Older SBC- worthwhile?

I think going down the older SBC path probably isn't worthwhile- there are other mechanical issues as well to be address (front sump oil pan, among others) that (with all of the other electrical requirements and add-ons) would tend to boost the cost of the conversion well past the economical objective to begin with.

If costs are the major concern, then the best answer is to go with a GM 4.8L LS style engine from the trucks/Yukon/Tahoe as they make lots of torque, are plentiful, and are relatively cheap. We working with one customer in Michigan now doing this exact swap. That car should be up and running in less than a month, and that will be one of the first XJ/XK's out there running this package.

FYI-his ultimate goal is to twin turbo that engine, so stand by on that.....

Old 01-17-2012, 09:14 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I think going down the older SBC path probably isn't worthwhile- there are other mechanical issues as well to be address (front sump oil pan, among others) that (with all of the other electrical requirements and add-ons) would tend to boost the cost of the conversion well past the economical objective to begin with.

If costs are the major concern, then the best answer is to go with a GM 4.8L LS style engine from the trucks/Yukon/Tahoe as they make lots of torque, are plentiful, and are relatively cheap. We working with one customer in Michigan now doing this exact swap. That car should be up and running in less than a month, and that will be one of the first XJ/XK's out there running this package.

Good points.. GM LS 4.8/5.3s can be had for $1k with trans. Turbo'd versions have seen 500+ hp with stock internals. This is the plan for my next build also. Still looking for the right donor.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a potential solution to your problem.. EFI connection makes conversoin kits using the 24x reluctor and a GM ECU for an LS. Might be just what you need to make the old SBC work in the application.
That's an interesting solution. I wonder how something like that would integrate with Andrew's kit.

Yeah, I think you're right.

Trying to make it work, you're going to purchase this OTHER kit in order to be able to plug in to the Jag Spec kit. Then you have an engine getting 15-18 MPG (on a good day) getting 250 HP. And you've fought to get the thing to work. Probably spending more than you would have going LS.

Okay, so I'm taking MY specific situation and applying it here...

Nevertheless, I'm pretty much SOLD on the LS conversion, there's just no way around it; More room for improvement, better MPG, more power, and similar cost on the investment!!!

Anyway, I've pretty much abandoned my previous line of thinking wanting to get the SBC running...so I'll probably start up a new project thread once I have some parts in-hand.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

i wish that it was a way to put a standard transmission in our xk8 but the engine is fine if kept cool. I just dont know about that ls change it just seam too much.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Originally Posted by nine7xk8
i wish that it was a way to put a standard transmission in our xk8 but the engine is fine if kept cool. I just dont know about that ls change it just seam too much.
It has been done in the UK. Probably the 1st step to getting some details is to join the XKEC.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

A manual transmission has cropped up many times, you will have to be dedicated to the idea, cost is the issue, $15K fitted or some where there abouts.

I have a T56 on my XK8, have thought about an LS7 in my next project XK, mid engined with a supercharger, 800bhp would be nice.

Still like the idea of keeping it all Jaguar so might go for the new 5ltr supercharged with a Hewland sequential box hanging off the back....

All pie in the sky at the moment I need to finish a couple of other projects first before I start a new one, but I already have the shell

Old 01-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer
I have a T56 on my XK8, have thought about an LS7 in my next project XK, mid engined with a supercharger, 800bhp would be nice.

Mid-engined ? Hmmm...I imagine that would require a bit of cutting, yes?

You're a crazy one, Tony, and we're all grateful for it.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lincoln LS 3.9 in an XK

I recently saw a 97 XK coupe with a 2002 Lincoln LS 3.9 engine installed. Talked to the owner. Massive failure of tensioners He stated that it was not a difficult task to make the change. Seems to work fine and no issues with warning lights etc. Better mileage but less power.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

how is he able to smog it. or emissions if you will?

Old 01-21-2012, 08:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cats are attached but no idea if it is legal. Smog testing is not a requirement here yet. Starting later this year though.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:43 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Good points.. GM LS 4.8/5.3s can be had for $1k with trans. Turbo'd versions have seen 500+ hp with stock internals. This is the plan for my next build also. Still looking for the right donor.
I've been looking on ebay and can't see any LS/LQ with transmission for anywhere near that price, most are at least $2,000.
Am I looking in the wrong place?

Old 01-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Default Lincoln engine

That install with the Lincoln engine is interesting. I had a fellow call me some 6 months ago about the XJ8 LS1 conversion. When we finally got down to it, he told me he had put a 3.9 Lincoln engine into his XJ8 (after the Jag engine died) but never could get it to run, and had no idea why. All of the key pieces swapped right on- oil pan, intake, etc.,.

So to hear now that someone is actually running with a 3.9 makes me want to know more on that....

Old 07-31-2012, 09:55 PM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by John Fox
...if a converted Jag came over the auction block it would not bring ANYTHING close to stock good running money of the same type car. The key is good running. A 100K stock, in good running condition, XJ/XK will bring more money than a converted car no matter who did the conversion.
This may be relevant for a rare Jaguar model and year someone actually cares about, but lets face it - like a lot of us, my car isn't as unique as we might like to believe. I'm driving a carnival red 1997 XK8 coupe with over 100k on the clock - these things are like Ford Pintos in terms of uniqueness. So I say auction-schmauction - I'm not at all concerned about resale value, since in spite of being well maintained, having upgraded wheels, tires and exhaust system, my ride would still command no more than $10k at retail, tops. But hey, it still looks good to me and is more or less altogether running great. Except for that damned transmission just waiting to drop out onto the street one of these days - we all know it!

Given that, I'm seriously looking at a conversion when (not if) my transmission goes **** up and I need to face $5k for replacing that or - if I play it right and if I don't go crazy with upgrades - should be just over double that for a basic engine & tranny swap with a V8 and a manual tranny.

A manual transmission? Never thought it possible. Someone forgot to remind Jaguar that they once made sports cars before they decided to cop out and hide behind luxury. I intend to remind them of what could be.

So you think dropping a v8 and a manual gear box into a Jag sounds nuts? Hell, look at it this way - it's cheaper than buying an Aston Martin~!

Old 08-01-2012, 12:22 AM
Default Jag conversion to GM power...

When you get ready to do it, let us know....

Thanks

Andrew
Jaguar Specialties

Old 08-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Jaguar Specialties,

Where are you located and how much do you charge for an install? My brother wants to put an LS1 Corvette engine into his 98' XK8 and I wanted to gather some info for him since he is deployed in Afghanistan right now. He also would like to know if it is possible to have the LS1 engine twin turbo charged or supercharged? Would a GM transmission be needed or is the standard 5 speed Jaguar transmission fine?

Quick Reply: Swapping another V8 into an XK8