Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping New Seats for Old Seats

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Swapping New Seats for Old Seats

I would like to install the '97-'00 MY front seats into my 2002 (don't like the look, comfort or mech. issues of the '02 headrests). Are there any compatability issues, or is it a straight swap. I found some seats but they have no control buttons or control modules. Could I use my existing ones?
Thanks!

Old 02-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Have you ever sat in the Recaro Seats that came as an option in the Jag??? The no headrest seat,,, They are absolutely fabulous,,, the most comfortable I think I have ever sat in as a driver....(The whole car added to that feeling but the seats are IT)

I would EXHAUST every option from new to used and google my A$$ off to find those FIRST...

Find some and sit in them you'll see then you will want them...

Name:  PC117111.jpg
Views: 1531
Size:  78.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0943And8more_tonemapped.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  141.0 KB

Name:  PC117108.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  131.3 KB

Old 02-08-2012, 02:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

Never altered them backwards before!!!! You will need the original seat modules from the new/older seats, the wiring does require altering but they can be made to work....

Actually.... all I am doing is reversing what I would do to fit newer seats into older cars...... which is not technically right, you will have an airbag issue, I think I would retain the modules you have and fit resistors to the airbag wires, the plugs will fit but you will have to swap wires about.

Has been a while since I fitted some, I am about to fit Recaros into 2 XKs in the next few weeks though, that I will be able to tell you....... And between you and me Recaros are not as comfortable as the first gen seats

Old 02-08-2012, 04:48 AM
GGG
Received 16,848 Likes on 12,184 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer
....... And between you and me Recaros are not as comfortable as the first gen seats
The shape suggests the Recaro would have much better lateral support but harder seat cushion.......?

Graham

Old 02-08-2012, 05:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

And you quite right and that is the problem, if you are 200lbs and under you will not have a problem, but those with a more.....should I say ample behind will find it a tad restictive.

They do hold you better and as a "sports" seat they do there job and they are what most desire, but you want comfort in a GT car and I have sat in every kind of XK seat (except for the new RS) and the original are the most comfortable.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (02-08-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 07:13 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Proof positive that Jaguar owners really do "drive by the seat of their pants"!

Any Dove colored Jaguar Recaro seats out there for sale?

My butt is still small enough for them......

cheers,

jj

Last edited by jamjax; 02-08-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Found out about the air bag issues last night, probably going to forget about it.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:44 AM

"And you quite right and that is the problem, if you are 200lbs and under you will not have a problem, but those with a more.....should I say ample behind will find it a tad restictive."

You are right never thought about that ,,, cause I slip right in... has the adjustable lumbar support... Now the car is tight inside anyway... I cannot seeing a person that is bigger than I feeling comfortable in this car.....

5'10 180lbs or 1.55448 m Stone 13st 3lb

"Proof positive that Jaguar owners really do "drive by the seat of their pants"!

I knew I forgot something how embarrassing...

Knew Jaguar never a manual transmission,,, thought something didn't seem right... no wonder it never went into gear....

Old 02-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Count, I'm a new 2005 xkr owner with the recaro seats. I am one of those that may be a little large for these seats. The only thing that really bothers me is the bottom seat bolsters. Do you know if there is a manual adjustment for them that would allow me to flatten them out a little? Thanks!!

Old 02-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Default ji9988

Welcome Aboard- A great car isn't it??? So much fun to drive...

The seats (or mine anyway) have the ability to tilt and lift the bottom of the seat but not anyway to adjust the side bolsters,,, same is true with the back of the seat,,, however I as you should have an adjustable lumbar control... have you tried relaxing the lumbar???

Great Forum here,,, Bunch of fun and Knowledgable Folks...

Let us know how it goes with the seat adjustments...

I think that for a factory GT race type seat they are great and they were available as a factory option...

It is actually a pre-req on my car (when i find one to buy) ,,,, being this one is the wife's whip

Last edited by Count_Damonee; 02-08-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are right the forum is FANTASTIC. All good people with lots of great ideas. Too bad I was hoping maybe they had a manual screw adjustment underneath. All the other adjustments are great. I guess it's time to lose the excess weight because I will be driving this Jag for a long, long time!!

Old 02-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

IMHO, the Recaros are not as comfortable or supportive as they look. If I had paid the extra as the original owner of the car, I'd be pretty disappointed.

And what the $£@" is that steering wheel cover?

Old 02-08-2012, 02:58 PM

Count all that time on the boat makes you think you can run around in your Banana Hammock non stop.

Anyone know how to lower the standard seats??

I find the mirror creates a huge blind spot and I have the seat as low as it will go.

And as I am driving 'backwards' over here I need to be able to see as much as possible.

Not quite ready for the Counts solution of driving in my skivvies even though we are the same size and height.

cheers,

jj

Old 02-08-2012, 05:11 PM

"And what the $£@" is that steering wheel cover? "

Just that a steering wheel cover,,, the leather on the wheel was perfect and the PBTW did not want to ruin it with the oils and such from the drivers hands,,,

So she wanted to cover it,,, Kinda personalizes her car to her taste I guess... and that is fine by me because if the leather on the wheel deteriorated I would be buying a New Leather Wheel..

You should see the contamination suits she makes everyone who rides the car wear....

And Don't even think of using the heated seats to warm your Tush in her car,, She will have nothing to do with letting your A$$ sweat in her seats... By the way if you are sitting in the car,,, your sitting on a towel... Seriously...

Last edited by Count_Damonee; 02-08-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:07 PM
GGG
Received 16,848 Likes on 12,184 Posts

Originally Posted by jamjax
........Anyone know how to lower the standard seats??

I find the mirror creates a huge blind spot and I have the seat as low as it will go.

And as I am driving 'backwards' over here I need to be able to see as much as possible................
cheers,

jj
Once the seat base is set fully down there's no free space left underneath between seat and floor because of the motors and module. The only option to alter the existing seat appears to be fitting a thinner cushion pad. This is a Recaro pad but the standard seat is a similar one piece foam:

Swapping New Seats for Old Seats-xkr-recaro-seat-cushion-pad-1.jpg Swapping New Seats for Old Seats-xkr-recaro-seat-cushion-pad-2.jpg

It could be cut horizontally to remove approx a one inch slice, retaining upper profile for the leather cover and lower profile to match the seat frame.

Other than that you'd be looking at removing (most of) the electrics and fitting lower runners or fitting an aftermarket racing type seat.

cheers,

jj[/quote]

Last edited by GGG; 02-08-2012 at 06:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jamjax (02-08-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

"Once the seat base is set fully down there's no free space left underneath between seat and floor because of the motors and module."

Yes, and if like me, when you first bought your car and you did not secure your handset, and it somehow ended up underneath a seat, it was quite an adventure to get it out.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

Love the seats in my car. (2000 xk8) Wife is 5' 3" 110 lbs (or so she says) and I am 6' 1" 240lbs. She can raise it to see over the steering wheel and it adjust perfectly for my size. The only draw back is you hate to get in and out. It's like wearing a good pair of gloves!!! DRIVE ON!! Jim

Old 02-08-2012, 10:24 PM

Thanks G.

Anything you haven't taken apart on your car?

Guess I am going to have to live with it cause I can't see the ISMW going for full racing seats, roll bar and safety harness, mind you she would look good in it but then she always does.

KD: I love that color on XK's. Good tip about loose bits of kit I am forever having my phone fall out of my pocket in cars. Velcro for the loose bits anyone?

Berlin: Sounds like your wife might be one of a few people that could use the back seat. But the real question is do you wear driving gloves when you motor through Sumter Park?

cheers,

jj

Old 02-09-2012, 06:22 AM
Received 6,304 Likes on 5,492 Posts

Originally Posted by Count_Damonee
And Don't even think of using the heated seats to warm your Tush in her car,, She will have nothing to do with letting your A$$ sweat in her seats... By the way if you are sitting in the car,,, your sitting on a towel... Seriously..
I think I may be married to her sister! My wife has towels on her seats to protect the leather also, can't see the point in having leather seats and sitting on cloth.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:52 AM

Good idea on the towel...a buddy of mine that is on Bondi Beach in Sydney daily ruined the leather seats on his Jeep with the salt from his 'cossie'.

Which is not what you juveniles were thinking but rather his swim suit.

cheers,

jj

Quick Reply: Swapping New Seats for Old Seats