XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

T605 Bluetooth Install issue / Connector part numbers found

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 04:18 PM
Received 174 Likes on 96 Posts
Default T605 Bluetooth Install issue / Connector part numbers found

Trying to install a T605 in my '97 XK8. Wiring went smoothly, but when I powered up the unit, all LED's come on bright, and there is no other action- no flashing LED's ,nothing. Tried pairing the unit, but holding the middle button does not initiate the pairing mode, and my phone does not see the unit as available. When I turn off the ignition, all lights stay on unless I unplug the fuse on the "hot" line. I have confirmed that the BAT and IGN lines are correct. I've also tried switching the yellow and orange lines ( as suggested in another thread) but no success.

Any ideas? Do I just have a bad unit ( it was New in box).

BTW, on the '97, the phone connector at the console is a Slate color 14 pin. I was able to track down the mating part, PN 173852-1 in case others need this part number. Pins used were 173630-1 22-24 AWG, and 173631-1 16-20 AWG. For those with the 18 pin connector, I believe the PN will be 173853-1. Same pins will fit. The 10 Pin Connector part number, to complete this, is 174465-1. Available thru digikey.com.

Old 01-10-2020, 02:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 386 Posts

I have the same Motorola bluetooth kit installed in my car - if you are sure you have the power wires connected correctly the right way around then it sounds like a faulty unit. The lights on mine turn off with the key. You might want to try having the T605 connected to power and ground and nothing else to see if it shows the same behaviour.

Old 01-10-2020, 03:05 PM

Well, I tried all manner of connections today. removed all connections but pwr and ground. Even though power connections were correct (tested and verified), I even tried switching them. Same results. All LED's came on, and nothing else would happen ( no pairing, no flashing, etc) Didn't feel like investing any more money to buy another unit, so just pulled it all out- Will go back to using my portable Bluetooth module.

Thanks for the inputs. It was worth a shot.

Old 03-19-2020, 01:13 PM

Update. Still stumped! Purchased another T605, and tried connecting today. Made some progress. Lights on the T605 now function properly, and the unit will connect via Bluetooth to my phone. But I cannot get anything through the radio via the phone. When I make a call, the radio does not mute, and the sound does not come through the radio. I rechecked all of the connections and they are accurate. . I tried switching the yellow and orange wires, but no change. I tried manually grounding the "Mute" wire, but no change in the radio. It's like the radio is not receiving any inputs from the connector under the console. The connector is proving me with power, switched power and ground, and the microphone wires did ohm out, so the only ones I did not check are the three wires to the radio.

Is there any setup required on the radio itself to tell it that a phone option has been installed? Any other thoughts? This should not be this hard!

As always, your help is apprecciated!

Old 03-19-2020, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,520 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Originally Posted by darbysan
I tried manually grounding the "Mute" wire, but no change in the radio.
That is what you need to debug. Have you tried grounding the upstream harness wire instead of the adapter in case the adapter is wrong? Also, FWIW, some radio mute with the mute wire high, I believe. Double check the wiring diagram or even any sticker on the radio itself. Normally, mute has a horizontal bar on top to indicate it is active low. Maybe your is active high instead, somehow.

Old 03-19-2020, 05:34 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I did ground the existing grey connector in the console, but with no success.

I found this in the archives via google search, and thought I had found a solution: Courtesy of WhiteXKR
WhiteXKR
05-02-16, 13:30
All the radios I have seen have come from the factory with the mute enabled, but perhaps yours did not.
Enter setup mode as follows:
-Press the TAPE EJECT and AM/FM buttons simultaneously.
-Now press PRESET 4 button repeatedly until 'TEL ON' shows
-After 15 seconds the display should clear and hopefully the mute will now work.

Unfortunately, my AM/FM button on my radio does not work ( bad Surface Mount Switch on the faceplate). So far, I've gotten by with using the controls on the steering wheel to change sources, but could not get the setup function to come up using the steering wheel control plus the eject button on the tape. Guess for now I'll have to put this project on the back burner (or try and replace that bad switch on the faceplate). I have already swapped out the faceplate from an XJ6 due to the LCD display being bad on the XK8 radio, but now I may have to go in and do some fine surgery!

Old 03-20-2020, 04:22 PM

OK, I replaced the bad switch on the faceplate, which did allow me to set the Phone Mute using the setup feature. This worked. Phone connects, music mutes when call comes in, mic works, etc.

Now, for my next issue, the volume on the calls is very low. I cannot adjust it using the controls on the radio, or on the steering wheel- only the T605 controls will adjust the volume, and at max volume on the phone and the T605, I can barely hear the person on the other end- and that's siting still with the engine off. I've double checked the wiring, and think I have the Audio +/- wires installed correctly, but...Additionally, I am getting the T605 voice through the rear speakers ( I have a '97 coupe). Everything I have been able to read says that the voice should be coming through the front speakers.

I did try it with the engine on, but no real change ( just harder to hear).

Anybody have thoughts to help. So far, pretty disappointed in the T605, but willing to keep plugging if there is something else I can do.

Old 03-20-2020, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,520 Likes on 1,065 Posts

From memory, the device has output at the "line" level, and at the "speaker" level. One would assume the line level is what is needed, but you can try the louder speaker level. I would back out from the max level everywhere before trying.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fmertz
From memory, the device has output at the "line" level, and at the "speaker" level. One would assume the line level is what is needed, but you can try the louder speaker level. I would back out from the max level everywhere before trying.
Its the line level he needs to use - don't try the speaker output.

From memory on my 2001 there are separate volume control settings for the radio, sat nav and telephone - I would try and see if there is an adjustment on the radio for phone level.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by dibbit
Its the line level he needs to use - don't try the speaker output.

From memory on my 2001 there are separate volume control settings for the radio, sat nav and telephone - I would try and see if there is an adjustment on the radio for phone level.
Thanks. Everything I was reading said to use the line-out wiring, per the standard T605 wiring instructions.

I feel like I am close ( much closer than a couple of days ago). The 2 questions nagging me, based upon all of the posts I have read :
1) Unable to adjust the volume of a call using the radio controls ( either the volume knob or the steering wheel controls). Other posts indicate that not only is this possible, but that the Phone volume will be remembered. I double checked last night to be sure my Android phone had both the call volume and the Media volume up to max.
2) The phone sounds come from the rear speakers ( really sounds like left rear, but that may just be my siting position in the car). Everything I have read says that the phone sounds should be coming from the front speakers. I'm OK with the rear sound (might be a coupe thing) as long as I can figure out how to get the volume increased.

Thanks for your continued support and help. Not sure I could find another source better than this one to help me with this problem!

Old 03-22-2020, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member

I've just downloaded the 97 audio manual from here:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/s3swxn...SA_19.pdf/file

It says that when in phone mode you can adjust the phone volume level from the radio volume knob and/or the steering wheel buttons and also the fader setting - these are saved separately to the radio volume settings. If this isn't working on your car it points to a fault on your 23 year old radio.

The T605 also has line out for bluetooth music - I would hook those outputs up to an amplifier and see if that is working as you would expect. The other thing to try would be to take the phone line out from the T605 and connect that to an external amplifier to check the phone output is working. You could also try this in reverse and connect a different audio source such as a ipod to the phone audio line input on the car, so see if that comes out ok - the idea being to either eliminate or confirm the T605 as the problem.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:48 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried a second radio yesterday with the same results. No volume control on the radio or via the steering wheel for the telephone sound, and no ability to change the fade via MODE button ( screen continues to say Tel ON). Sound comes from the two rear speakers. I measured the voltage output on the two audio lines from the T605 and got 2.1 volts on both lines when the unit was operating, and 0 volts when tuned off. Only confusing thing on that measurement was that I thought I would see a negative voltage on one of the lines, but that may just be my stupidity.

I'm starting to think way outside my knowledge area here, but could it be that the Audio +/- lines on the factory connector are reversed? I wired them per the wiring diagram, and the color coding was spot on. And would that cause my issue? I could swap the wires, but I just don't want to go around trying things that might blow up the radio....

Old 03-23-2020, 03:28 AM
Veteran Member

I don't think you are going to learn much from the voltages on the audio outputs - you shouldn't see negative voltages. Its possible that the +- are swapped and its also possible that you simply don't have the right wires in the connector. The best way to test this is as I described before. Connect a known working audio source up to the phone inputs and see what happens or test the phone outputs from the T605 with an external amp (eg a portable speaker with a mini-jack plug input or a full size amp with phono input connectors). If you can get a crystal earpiece on ebay you can test the outputs are working just by touching the pin of the earpiece's jack plug (ie only one connection needed) to the + output of your audio.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crystal-Ear...wAAOSwDNdVrnQI

Where did you get the pin numbers/wiring diagram for your car's audio system? Are you sure it is correct?

Last edited by dibbit; 03-23-2020 at 03:31 AM.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by dibbit
I
Where did you get the pin numbers/wiring diagram for your car's audio system? Are you sure it is correct?
I have the '97 Electrical manual, and got the wiring diagrams there ( for poth the audio as well as the telephone wiring).

FWIW, it appears that all is working, just no volume control using the radio. I can raise / lower the volume coming out of the rear speakers when using the phone, via either the phone's volume control, or the T605 volume control- just not the radio knob . When I use the T605 volume control, I can see the volume indicator on the phone ( sliding bar) moving either higher or lower, depending on how I move the T605 controls.

I have the external speaker that comes with the T605, so I may hook that up today to see if that will be loud enough to hear on the road. Just hate to mount an external speaker when I've got such good speakers with the audio system in the Jag.

Old 03-24-2020, 03:25 AM
Veteran Member

The volume control on your phone is separate from the volume control on the car, so the phone/T605 are behaving as they should. It does sound like the T605 is working and for whatever reason the radio simply isn't doing what it is supposed to. The only thing that occurs to me is that maybe the 1997 version of the car was shipped supposedly ready for a phone, but it didn't actually work. You would have to find someone else with a '97 and see if their radio works the same as yours.

Old 03-24-2020, 10:20 AM

Unfortunately, I think you are correct. Something just doesn't seem to be right about the volume controls, and I can't figure out a solution. Guess I'm back to the old standby visor mounted T325 bluetooth. Won't kill me, but I did like the idea of having the radio mute on calls. Guess the T605 goes back on Ebay

Old 03-24-2020, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by darbysan
Unfortunately, I think you are correct. Something just doesn't seem to be right about the volume controls, and I can't figure out a solution. Guess I'm back to the old standby visor mounted T325 bluetooth. Won't kill me, but I did like the idea of having the radio mute on calls. Guess the T605 goes back on Ebay
I thought the radio did mute? Leave it connected as it is and add the standalone speaker.

Old 03-24-2020, 05:30 PM

Ok, Final answer! I tried swapping the Audio +/- wires today, just for grins. No real difference. Phone volume came through the rear speakers, but still at a low level . So I tried the remote speaker that comes with the T605. That had plenty of volume- had to turn it down some, even at highway speeds. Voltage on the Speaker wires was 6.2 Volts. I thought about trying those outputs connected to the car's phone audio in wires, but thought the voltage was just too high. Voltage on Audio-in lines was supposed to be about 2-2.3 volts ( about what the T605 audio in lines now produce). If they had been high 2 volts, or low 3 volts, I might have given it a try. 6 volts just seemed like too much for an experiment.

So now the T605 pairs when I start the car, mutes the stereo when I get a call, and the phone sounds come through the remote speaker. Volume can be adjusted on the call using the T605 remote buttons. I mounted the remote speaker to the small pad at the rear of the console ( the one that just snaps off). It's sort of out of the way there, and is easy to hear.

Thanks to all that gave me inputs on this problem. It takes a village to raise an XK8