XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Is there not a simple aux-in adaptor for the stock stereo head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 04:46 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Burning a new MP3 CD now...

Thanks for the heads-up

Attached Thumbnails Is there not a simple aux-in adaptor for the stock stereo head unit?-homer-doh.jpg  
Old 01-31-2013, 06:06 AM
Received 182 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
YES.

I burn MP3's to CD's on my PC and play them on the factory CD player in the boot. The only limitation is it has to be CD-R and not CD-RW. I don't think I'm doing anything special in the burn process.

Graham
By default, if you burn an mp3 to a CD it automagically converts it to an audio track on the CD, so what you get is an Audio CD of the music.

... unless you are telling the computer to write as data.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:36 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by christ
By default, if you burn an mp3 to a CD it automagically converts it to an audio track on the CD, so what you get is an Audio CD of the music.

... unless you are telling the computer to write as data.
Yes, this is what I've been doing... and it doesn't work (just tried again). When I asked whether MP3 tracks can be played by the factory CD player, I meant can it read a 'data' CD which holds like 60 MP3 tracks, rather than 10 or so audio CD tracks. When I put a 'real' MP3 CD in my boot, it refuses to play and the display inside the car says 'PAUSED'.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I'm fairly certain he's talking about burning MP3's to audio tracks on a CD.

I highly doubt that the multi-changer can read data disks.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:37 AM
Received 152 Likes on 120 Posts

Tip- burning .mp3 files to a CD-R likely will still not work (would allow you to burn hundreds of songs to one disc if so). If it doesn't, it will only work if you burn an audio CD so that the .mp3 files are converted to normal .wav files that any CD player should be able to read (still CD-R disc). The compression is better, though note as a result, the file size grows about 10x, so a 5MB .mp3 file will be closer to a 50MB .wav file for a single song. As a result, you'll only fit the normal 10-12 songs per disc.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:32 PM
Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by JSC
The MP3 Player Tape Cassette Adapter for SD/MMC Reader that I show in the picture is really an MP3 player. It has a slot for an SD card (I have a Micro SD card with a SD converter) and you put your mp3's on the card like a normal MP3 player. It can be used as a standalone mp3 player, since it has a volume control, and a earphone output jack. I have a bunch of 2 and 8Gb MicroSD cards with all my music.

The downsides of this player.
1. It has a battery that needs to be charged. (Comes with a USB cable) Battery lasts a few hours. I would guess about 5.
2. It plays the MP3 files in the order they were added. No random play option.
3. You cannot use the cassette controls on the head unit. Comes with a remote!

The quality depends mostly on the quality of your MP3 file (the higher kbs of the file the better the quality. 320kbs is very good, 128kbs is stretching it - you can hear distortions) and your speakers. My speakers in the '98 is not perfect, but when the top is down, it does not really matter to me.

At under $20, I like it and it solves my problem. (I got mine off Ebay) I also have a FM Modulator/MP3 player that uses SD cards, but that uses the power outlet, which I don't like, and the FM transmitters do not work well in areas with lots of stations.

Just my 2c..
JSC,
Do you remember the eBay seller you bought this from?

Thanks, Mike

Old 01-31-2013, 03:23 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by xenophobe
I'm fairly certain he's talking about burning MP3's to audio tracks on a CD.

I highly doubt that the multi-changer can read data disks.
Yeah dream on! The OEM changer is too primitive to read mp3 files.

I'd love to be wrong... but meanwhile, why can't the changer simply be replaced with one that can? Has anyone done that?

Aren't the connections & mounting bracket standardised?

BTW I can fit about 120 songs on an mp3 CD. Or one Wagner opera

Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2013, 10:34 PM

P.s.: In the boot stack where the CD changer is, empty space above where the satnav would reside if I had it, then another box... this is the amp, yes? Compatibility question for that unit...

EDIT: Yes it is, part ordered, will post back thoughts next week.

Last edited by Sentinelist; 02-02-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Update- finally got around to installing this, and it's just perfect! Thanks, WhiteXKR again! I bought a minijack adaptor from the same vendor here to accomodate my iPhone 5, and any audio device with a 3.5mm minijack. Well worth the ten bucks. I velcro'd the adaptor unit on top of the CD changer and ran the wire through the rear firewall hole rather easily. Tucked it around the rear passenger seat and it enters the center console at the back under that trim piece that snaps on. I already had the console itself out (because oops, this doesn't plug in behind the radio- no instructions included), so the input wire actually enters through the bottom of the felt center console insert under the armrest. Perfect setup, works great. Stock head unit reads 'CD NO DISC' (be sure to unload your magazine or just take it out, 'NO MAGAZINE').

I'm anti-commercial radio and my Steely Dan 'Greatest Hits' disc was really starting to get old, though it was the perfect soundtrack at first, so this is a very very welcome addition. Coupled with WhiteXKR's antenna delete mod, I can now stream Pandora and not have a giant radio mast sticking out. It's a (literally) beautiful thing.

The following users liked this post:
Jacsun (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 08:04 AM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Great to hear. Congratulations. There's always that fun moment in these projects when you get the last wire hooked up and go to test...."Does it make sound? Is the sound any good?"...then the big smile erupts! Any pics of the wiring or new set-up?

Old 02-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 558 Posts

Curious to know how this works with other iPhone functions. If you are streaming music and using Google Maps, will it interrupt the music for the audio directions? That would be a nice feature.

(Possible scenario with music playing: "When I'm drivin' in my car, and a man comes on the radio telling me" **interrupt** "turn right in 300 feet" **resume play** I can't get no... satisfaction.)

The next model up that allows iPod/iPhone connect and retains the CD function looks tasty at only $20 more, and your description makes it seem simple to install.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Sentinelist
Update- finally got around to installing this, and it's just perfect! Thanks, WhiteXKR again! I bought a minijack adaptor from the same vendor here to accomodate my iPhone 5, and any audio device with a 3.5mm minijack. Well worth the ten bucks. I velcro'd the adaptor unit on top of the CD changer and ran the wire through the rear firewall hole rather easily. Tucked it around the rear passenger seat and it enters the center console at the back under that trim piece that snaps on. I already had the console itself out (because oops, this doesn't plug in behind the radio- no instructions included), so the input wire actually enters through the bottom of the felt center console insert under the armrest. Perfect setup, works great. Stock head unit reads 'CD NO DISC' (be sure to unload your magazine or just take it out, 'NO MAGAZINE').
Sweet! That's how I planned on installing mine. Grats!

Old 02-18-2013, 04:04 PM

Sorry, didn't get photos yet but will in a few days. As far as the audio goes, it works just as if you had headphones plugged in. So when your nav app provides turn-by-turn directions, Pandora will fade briefly to allow the command, then fade back in. Likewise when a call comes in, it fades, mutes, and rings (though you would just put it on speaker in a pinch). It's about perfect!

The following users liked this post:
Jag#4 (02-18-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 10:25 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, didn't get photos yet but will in a few days. As far as the audio goes, it works just as if you had headphones plugged in. So when your nav app provides turn-by-turn directions, Pandora will fade briefly to allow the command, then fade back in. Likewise when a call comes in, it fades, mutes, and rings (though you would just put it on speaker in a pinch). It's about perfect!
Chris,
Congratulations on your install. We did this mod few months back and my wife is really happy being able to play and charge her iphone 4 (now 5) in the car.
As for install, this thing is plug and play. Another user in Germany posted some install questions on the forum then realized that the vendor included a link to an installation tutorial which basically covers both the front and rear installation.
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/pdf/ip-jagcd.pdf
I'm guessing you purchased the 3.5mm to dock adapter cable which means you are not able to charge your 5. My wife recently upgraded to the 5 and we bought this adapter from apple.-- works great!
Lightning to 30-pin Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

Old 03-31-2013, 08:59 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
YES.

I burn MP3's to CD's on my PC and play them on the factory CD player in the boot. The only limitation is it has to be CD-R and not CD-RW. I don't think I'm doing anything special in the burn process.

Graham
Well, damn. I might've got the Van den Plas with the CD-changer if I'd known that.

2004 XJ8 with single-disc CD player (no changer) does NOT play MP3 tracks.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:29 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Does anyone know if this will work on a 1997 XK8 (basic system)?

Any way to adapt the "iPod" cable to fit a headphone out or non-Apple player?

Old 08-16-2013, 07:09 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Old 08-16-2013, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

That will only work with a car with an aux port, which is non-existant on a '97 XK8.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock head unit reads 'CD NO DISC' (be sure to unload your magazine or just take it out, 'NO MAGAZINE').
Isn't this the described behavior if you connect to the audio wires? I.e it doesn't sound like this adapter actually has any "smarts"? It would be interesting to see the insides of it.

Not knocking it and of the options available, this may be the one I go with.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Feathers
Does anyone know if this will work on a 1997 XK8 (basic system)?

Any way to adapt the "iPod" cable to fit a headphone out or non-Apple player?
They have a non-apple version

AUX-JAGCD Auxiliary input Adapter for Select Jaguar with CD Auto Changer :: iPod Adapters & Interfaces

Which is probably what I'd get. No idea why they don't just have one device and put two cables in the box (or have one dual-head cable). Does it charge the ipod also?

They also have this one:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/JAG-CDR.html

Which allows you to continue to use the changer if you don't have your mp3 player plugged in. Oddly, this appears to only be available with an IPOD cable. Though I'm sure it would be trivial to mod. I suspect this may have issues if you have music with quiet bits in though.

Last edited by Richy_T; 10-24-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Is there not a simple aux-in adaptor for the stock stereo head unit?