XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Things to watch out for?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 03:43 AM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy
Geez, it's late, but i'll try to remember some common issues that I've read about (and recall).

1. Watch the hydraulics in the convertible top, if yours is a vert. If the fluid is old/not utilized alot during its life, moving it back and forth can cause a line to break right above the passenger's head. Not pretty. If the fluid is ick, check with the dealer to get a good flushing. it'll be worth it in the long run and avoid a patch or re-placement of lines, including that cleaning bill.
2. Suspension may be worn out, lower bushings, upper shock mounts, control arm bushings, etc. Can be considerable to repair depending on what your alignment specs are currently.
3. tilt/reach motor in the steering column. My reach went out, but replaced under warranty.
4. Electrical problems such as ABS sensors (dirty mostly), harness sometimes goes bad other times.
5. Expansion tank with coolant often springs a leak somewhere, or float sensor goes bad, possibly a hose near the thermostat splits.
6. Door latches will fatigue over time, both of mine were replaced at about 40k by the dealer under warranty.
7. You may notice some jerking in the tranny upon starts, or slow stops...it'll eventually go away as the tranny learns your style of driving compared to the previous driver. it's normal.
Don't curb those wheels...expensive to 'repair' at the dealer. i've rubbed two already. [:@] at myself.

Other than that, you can go thru the various xk8/xkr threads and see where most people are having common problems. There isn't many to be honest, compared to the x-types, s-types and XJ series.
If you want a 2004 DVD for the nav (or you want me to see if your neighborhood is on there), latest version, I won't be using mine anymore and would part with it for considerably less than the dealer will charge ya. Send me an email if you're interested.

the trans jerk only applies to the cars with the zf 6hp gear box 03-current cars use them exept the x type and 03 xj8/r

Old 01-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I thought the lurch was often observed in both the 5hp and 6hp ZF trannies?

Old 01-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things to watch out for

I drove my 06 XKR for 4 months and steeled myself for the failure of the convertible top hydraulic system. When it went, I wasn't really prepared for all that fluid pouring down. I was so rattled I tried to catch the fluid in my best ball cap. Not a good idea. Fortunately I had the extended warranty though it took weeks to get the parts for the repair and the dealer wasn't easy to work with.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by newbie1
I drove my 06 XKR for 4 months and steeled myself for the failure of the convertible top hydraulic system. When it went, I wasn't really prepared for all that fluid pouring down. I was so rattled I tried to catch the fluid in my best ball cap. Not a good idea. Fortunately I had the extended warranty though it took weeks to get the parts for the repair and the dealer wasn't easy to work with.

More fortunately your dealer interpreted that the warranty would cover the hoses. Hoses are explicitly excluded from most warranties but many here (but not all) have had these taken care of under warranty. Make sure you get the check valve that is available so that the hoses are less like to burst again.

Doug

Old 01-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks again for the good info guys