XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
View Poll Results: How do you wash your convertible Jaguar?
Drive through car wash tunnel just like the hardtop.
7.14%
Handheld wands at the self-service car wash to avoid spraying the top.
7.14%
Detail shop that specializes in ragtops.
0%
Wash it myself in driveway or street, not using any car wash facility.
85.71%
No need to wash it, just drive it fast until the dirt blows off.
7.14%
Had the green shower.
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Time for a car wash. How to care for this ragtop?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 05:05 PM
Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Time for a car wash. How to care for this ragtop?

Okay I searched "car wash" and did not find it, my apologies if this is common knowledge. What is the consensus on going through a car wash with a soft top? Can the brushless mechanical car washes damage or wear the top? How do you keep your XK8 shiny an clean?

Old 07-12-2020, 08:19 PM
Received 76 Likes on 46 Posts

Don't take your car through a drive through wash if you value the paint. I'm going to explain how I wash my car, it comes out perfectly. Any car soap works really, I use Meguires (no wax) stuff I get at local parts stores. First I fill a bucket and use a soft mitt to clean the wheels and tires, it's very important you use a mitt you don't use on paint, make sure to wash the tires as well. I clean the inside of the wheel arch and barrel of the wheel with a long brush I have as well. I've found it's easiest to clean tires and wheels first, I'll also occasionally polish my exhaust tips with very fine steel wool and then seal them with aluminum sealant, I do this about once a month. Don't dry the wheels yet. Move on to the paint, use two buckets, fill one with soap and put a grit guard in the other. Use another wash mitt and clean the top of the car to the bottom, about every panel drag the mitt against the grit guard in the second bucket to avoid scratching paint. I use a fine brush for cleaning the "JAGUAR" and "XK8" badges on the rear of the car. I also use a boars-hair brush and the same soap on the convertible top, if you decide to use the mitt you'll have to mess about with a lint roller for a bit. First time I did this I was impressed how good the top looked. Once I've washed the whole car, I use microfiber towels and sealant, ditch wax, it's more effective, water beads better, it lasts longer, and is significantly easier to apply. I use CarPro Reload with every wash, you can apply it with the paint wet and wipe it off with a microfiber. Make sure you use separate towels for the wheels, I have a different basket and make sure they're washed separately. You can use sealant with every wash and it will build layers, it's a good idea to polish your car beforehand and maintain it this way. I also use CarPro Perl on the tires (which is why I make sure to scrub them well). I've tried a lot of tire shine products and it appears to be the best, does not attract dirt and lasts a few weeks. I like CarPro Eraser to clean the insides of the windows as well, but alcohol is essentially the same. Bit more than you asked, but your car will look great. On occasion I also use chrome and metal polish to sort the splitter, seat belts, and tread plates. Here's a blown up picture of my car from my signature, right after a wash.

Last edited by jacobmstein; 07-12-2020 at 10:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,419 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Jacob - right on!

+1 to Jacob’s advice and method. I do something similar.

For the convertible top, I first give it a good thumping all over with a duster, then a quick hoover, then a light wash with a small amount of kitchen detergent. Seems to do the trick esp. since I treated it recently with a “Ragtop” sealant.

Then I move onto the rest of the car a la Jacob’s method.

I’m in construction, as an ex steelworker painter, and used to inspect paint with a lense and DFT gauge. The key is to protect the clear coat and prevent micro scratches that cause hazing. Hence Jacob’s mitt - but use the two bucket method - 1. For clean water and 2. for dirty water. Any paint over 10 years old will have suffered abrasion at the front just by driving, so approx 6 times a year, it would do with a good wax or maybe go for the more modern nano ceramic products which are very durable.

jacobmstein (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 10:30 PM

I forgot, I have under axle exhaust, so I also polish the whole exhaust system axle back as the rear Mina mufflers are visible from the back and in the rear wheel wells, not sure how this would come out with factory exhaust as it's not polished. I've had good luck with using metal sealant to keep the finish. Also, I got my wheels ceramic coated when I bought them, the faces and barrels, so I've managed to keep them completely clean just with my long brush, definitely something to look into because it makes it much easier, especially if you have complex wheels.

Last edited by jacobmstein; 07-13-2020 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Very extensive job on cleaning, Jacob. How about if I drive my car up about every 6 months for a wash? It would almost be worth the effort. Likely more info than requested, but definitely a good tutorial.

jacobmstein (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
Very extensive job on cleaning, Jacob. How about if I drive my car up about every 6 months for a wash? It would almost be worth the effort. Likely more info than requested, but definitely a good tutorial.
Hah, at this point it only takes me maybe 2 hours to clean the car inside and out, not that bad once a week.

DavidYau (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

I do my roof a couple of times a year. Have a read

Part 1 https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthre...=1#post1084082

Part 2 https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthre...=1#post1084368

This is my recent efforts https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthre...=1#post1248440

Hope you find it useful. Let me know

Last edited by frankc; 07-13-2020 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:54 AM
Received 151 Likes on 83 Posts

WOW this is a big topic "how to detail cars". Thousands of products, different methods and endless opinions. What I find is it really depends on what your expectations are and how much time and money you are willing to spend. If you want to delve into the world of detailing follow the link below to learn pretty much anything you want to know from folks with a lot of expertise and knowledge. Good luck.

https://www.autopia.org/

Old 07-22-2020, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Shoreguy
WOW this is a big topic "how to detail cars". Thousands of products, different methods and endless opinions. What I find is it really depends on what your expectations are and how much time and money you are willing to spend. If you want to delve into the world of detailing follow the link below to learn pretty much anything you want to know from folks with a lot of expertise and knowledge. Good luck.

https://www.autopia.org/
Not related, post a pic of your bike! I want a Bonneville but I'm nearly 6'7, definitely a Triumph, maybe a Scrambler.