XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Timing Chain Overhaul, what all parts do i need?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 02:11 PM
Received 176 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Timing Chain Overhaul, what all parts do i need?

I know I can sit here for hours and hours and search the forums and find the answer to most if not all of the questions I am about to ask. But that is probably true of most every post made here nowadays.

I am wanting to replace all of the timing chain tensioner guides, chains, and any applicable vvt wear components. Are there any vvt wear components?

Some people are buying kits and installing the guides upside down? This seems like lunacy, does anyone know of any parts kits that have the correct parts for the job?

I have been through and through the instructions on how to complete this job and it seems as though I will need to do a pre load to the chain at some point, the instructions regarding this procedure are vague enough to instill doubt in me. Can someone please explain this process more in depth for me?

What all other parts should I replace / repair while I am this far into the engine? I have heard of people talking about norma connectors and octopus hoses. Since I haven't ever really torn into this engine bay I am somewhat lost until I will have the parts in my hands, but it sounds like these are all components that SHOULD NOT wear, but most certainly do and need to be replaced. I do have a hose that leaks what I imagine to be antifreeze onto the right hand cat after the engine is turned off.

Do I need to replace the water pump while I am in there? It seems like it isn't the worst to replace as a standalone job.

I see claims that you need to replace the thermostat housing????? every couple of years. How ****ing bad does your manufacturing have to be to need to repl..... I currently have a metal thermostat housing, assuming someone has replaced it before, do you still need to replace the metal ones every other year?

What tools am i going to need? Most people report needing the specialty cam locking tools, and then some people say that they use a crank locking tool. Is there anything else that I need to collect to get this job done in one go?

My best guesses on what parts I am going to need:

Spark plugs
Spark plug gaskets
Valve cover gaskets
Valve cover grommets - haven't been into it yet to see what the hell these are
Water pump - metal impeller
Water pump gasket
Thermostat housing - metal
Timing chain cover gasket
Serpentine belt - **** it, car is new to me and they are cheap
Valley hoses - ? Crap, just noticed that they ran the heater core hoses below the intake manifold...
Intake manifold gaskets
Octopus hose - who the **** designed this hose and why aren't they in a padded room

Tools:
Cam locking tool
Crank locking tool

The following users liked this post:
kbhudson (10-11-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,403 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Hatter
Some people are buying kits and installing the guides upside down? This seems like lunacy, does anyone know of any parts kits that have the correct parts for the job?
Some have encountered kits that have the wrong primary slipper guides that were meant (I believe) for the later Morse primaries. There are threads on here that will guide you in the right direction. SNG Barratt (forum sponsor) can likely advise you here.

I have been through and through the instructions on how to complete this job and it seems as though I will need to do a pre load to the chain at some point, the instructions regarding this procedure are vague enough to instill doubt in me. Can someone please explain this process more in depth for me?
The object is to ensure that the inlet cams are fully retarded when locking up the sprockets. The cam tools are essential for this if you're doing the full job, and there is guidance on here for the how-to (JTIS also)

What all other parts should I replace / repair while I am this far into the engine? I have heard of people talking about norma connectors and octopus hoses. Since I haven't ever really torn into this engine bay I am somewhat lost until I will have the parts in my hands, but it sounds like these are all components that SHOULD NOT wear, but most certainly do and need to be replaced. I do have a hose that leaks what I imagine to be antifreeze onto the right hand cat after the engine is turned off.
If the valley hoses are of unknown age then it's no bad idea to replace them. They're all rubber and they all age - including the octopus - which is a likely culprit for your leak over the RHS cat (great hot spot for a connector). This does involve extra work and parts.

Do I need to replace the water pump while I am in there? It seems like it isn't the worst to replace as a standalone job.
Not necessarily - or the thermostat - but how old are they & they're not high-cost items?

I see claims that you need to replace the thermostat housing????? every couple of years. How ****ing bad does your manufacturing have to be to need to repl..... I currently have a metal thermostat housing, assuming someone has replaced it before, do you still need to replace the metal ones every other year?
??Plastic - possibly every 10 years or so - but if you already have the aluminium housing then you're good. Perhaps the crossover pipe (AJ85885) as that's the same material as the old tstat tower and can/does eventually let go. The thermostat & water pump are easier still once that's removed.

What tools am i going to need? Most people report needing the specialty cam locking tools, and then some people say that they use a crank locking tool. Is there anything else that I need to collect to get this job done in one go?
Cam locking tools
Crank pulley tool
Crank locking tool
High-temp RTV for the timing cover/head joints

Nice to have:
Cable flexible hose clamp pliers
Fuel line tools (if you're removing the inlet manifold)
Antiseptic cream & tissues (for knuckles)

Octopus hose - who the **** designed this hose and why aren't they in a padded room
Designed for the guy on the assembly line, not the poor sod who has to deal with it 20 years later...

The following 2 users liked this post by michaelh:
DavidYau (10-05-2019), Johnken (10-06-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

my parts list for 2000 XK8.

Timing chain kit: for Lincoln LS
DNJ. # TK4162 $172 @ Rockauto.
Everything fits perect except in my opinion the guides are incorrect. Some members have used the guides in the kit but I didn't like the way they fit. I got the guides separately from SnG listed below. Still cheaper than buying a Jaguar kit.

Cam cover kit: for Lincoln LS
Fel-Pro. # VS50724R. $44 @ Partsgeek.
Doesn't come with VVT seal.

VVT seals:
2- AJ8256. $5ea @ AutohausAZ

SNG Barrett for next items.
Timing cover gaskets:
AJ83699. $16
NCA2127AC. $17(Lincoln LS different)
Chain guides:
2- NCA2025AB. $23ea
2- NCA1998AB. $33ea

From RMEUROPEAN
Crankshaft seal:
AJ83698. $10.
Total: $381.25 + any shipping charges
This is what I found that works for the best price. You can do your own research and may do better.

This from October 2017 so prices may be different. Search the part#'s.

You will need a timing kit

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...Qwg8IHw&adur

In my opinion the easiest way to remove crank pulley.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...1BCtNzAvIg1mdw

The following 2 users liked this post by BobRoy:
Johnken (10-06-2019), michaelh (10-06-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 07:48 AM
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Has anyone used the timing chain kit from Christophers Foreign Car Parts. His kit looks pretty complete and priced fairly.

https://christophersforeigncarparts.com/

Old 10-06-2019, 03:30 PM
Received 176 Likes on 114 Posts

@Jnelso I have seen others indicate that they have used that kit. I am going to give it a shot. I was just feeling too lazy to go buy each part in an itemized list. Would have been cheaper, but there are so many parts and it would be easy to miss one. Thanks for the link.

Old 10-06-2019, 04:36 PM
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Mad Hatter-Let us know how the kit works out, Christophersforeigncarparts.com claim most gaskets are OEM and hard parts sourced from various suppliers. I am planing to replace the tensioners, chains and rails on my 2000 Coupe as soon as the weather turns ugly up here in New England.