XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Chain Tensioner Panic and Back

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 05:57 AM
Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts
Default new tensioner kit

I decided to swap everything, here is a pic of all the new parts, update will follow after the work is done by my local mechanic.

cam chain tensioner kit incl. tools and seals + new waterpump and thermostat for my XKR 2001

Old 12-04-2020, 02:18 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Andy,
Great blog! My fixer ($800) is a 98 XJ8. Body and interior looks like a 40k car, but the engine broke at 150k. Original owner must have had bad hearing, lol. Anyway, it was a busted secondary chain on passenger side. Sound familiar? My leakdowns were not below "moderate" so I refrained pulling heads. My new chains are very tight...even without the wedges. I'm going with "tight" since they will only get looser.

Old 12-04-2020, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Andreas Schmieg
Can I replace the upper timing chain tensioners myself? Or is there a lot I can screw up? I did rebuild a few VW Beetle engines before.

BTW: I live in Minnesota, so I only get to enjoy my XK8 for another four weeks this year before it goes into hibernation. I will not drive it in salty snow slush that eats metal. So I have several months to figure out the timing chain tensioners.

I wouldn't try it without at least dropping your oil pan for examination. You might find the plastic guide or original tensioner parts in the bottom. While there, remove the oil intake and shake it. I found pieces in mine. All my guides were shot, but I bought a fixer, not running, so expected the worst.

The following users liked this post:
CA Jag (04-22-2021)
Old 12-08-2020, 07:16 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

May I ask what that assortment of parts cost? I probably should do this on mine. Thanks

Old 12-08-2020, 08:18 PM
Default Parts cost for timing job

Originally Posted by Yankee Papa
May I ask what that assortment of parts cost? I probably should do this on mine. Thanks
Figure around $1,000 total for tools (required!) and parts.
Chains/tensioners/guides are $300, gaskets another couple hundred. A local Jag mechanic quoted $2,500.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:21 PM
Default My pan

Originally Posted by Desertdawg
Chains/tensioners/guides are $300, gaskets another couple hundred. A local Jag mechanic quoted $2,500.

My pan

Old 12-08-2020, 08:33 PM
Default Full timing kit

Originally Posted by Yankee Papa
Andy, the complete kit isn't much more than just top tensioners. I paid $299.95. Once you've gone in that far it's wise to do all.

Old 12-11-2020, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 692 Likes on 376 Posts

I replaced the primary and secondary timing chains, guides, and tensioners last year. I tried my best to document everything so that anyone considering tackling this can see what they're up against. I think I covered all of the challenges and you can see how I solved them before you even start. You don't need to go down the dead ends like I did.
See below.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ioners-214569/

The following 2 users liked this post by stu46h:
cjd777 (12-12-2020), Terry007 (08-01-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 02:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I live in Singapore and drive an early 1997 XK8 4.0 Convertible, with about 140,000 km on it.
In 2012, I had my timing chain tensioners changed by the main Jaguar dealer here, when I first got the car, and it had just 40,000 km on it at that point.

Two weeks ago, in the process of replacing my cylinder head gasket, my new mechanic discovered cracks on the timing chain guides.
We decided to do a replacement with a new timing chain kit to be bought, and the old bits replaced.
Upon delivery from SNG Barratt in the UK, we noticed that were size differences between the old timing chain guides and the ones we just received.
Has there been any modification to the dimensions of the timing chain guides as part of the product improvement?

I have attached images of the old and the new timing chain guides, with the new shiny ones placed right next to the old slightly cracked ones.
The new guides are slightly longer in length, and they are also narrower in width than the original pairs.

Do they look like the correct parts, or did we receive the wrong set of guides by mistake?
Appreciate some advice.

The old guides are on the right, and the new shiny guides are on the left, for each pair.

The chain appears tight in the new guide.

The old parts and their replacements which were part of the Timing Chain Kit.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,544 Posts

Hi Niviane,
You have the wrong slipper guides.

See this thread from O&DR, particularly post #2 from motorcarman, who has included the correct part numbers for the early cars.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...7/#post2215264

The following 2 users liked this post by michaelh:
DavidYau (05-05-2021), Niviane (04-22-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 08:20 AM
Received 8,075 Likes on 4,870 Posts

Those aluminum backed guides are for the SILENT-RUNNING 'Morse' style primary chains. I just buy the original Jaguar wide guides for the roller chains on the early engines and toss the thin ones from the various kits into a box.

Probably go into the aluminum recycling bin someday.

michaelh (04-21-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 04:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for that quick reply. You are right. The guides and blades that SNG Barratt sent me as part of the replacement kit were the wrong ones (meant for the post 2002 XK8).
I've alerted them, and hopefully they will send me the replacements soon.
Many thanks again!

Old 04-22-2021, 08:34 AM
Received 202 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Desertdawg
Better than 2 quotes here. One was 3,200. Second was 4,000. Plan
was to do just the uppers then I see read the stories and see the pictures...........

Old 05-05-2021, 02:45 PM

DIY is obviously cheaper (maybe I should be looking around for jack stands and dusting off my tool box). Local's quote 2,000 to do just the uppers. Quote included new cam covers ($1,000) to reduce chance of leaks? Am guessing it's easy for him to install since bolts come preinstalled in covers. New gaskets and old covers should be fine. Now we're at 1,000 to do the 2 uppers. Drove the car this morning. No noise but it's time to do at least the uppers.

DavidYau (05-05-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 04:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

Help
Order Status & Returns
Cart
Menu Continue Shopping
Check Out
Shopping Cart
2002 LINCOLN LS 3.9L V8
Engine : Timing Chain Tensioner
Tap to expand
PREFERRED COMPONENTS INC T66232 Info C Left Upper; Secondary Chain Tensioner
{Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers}
(Only 1 Remaining)

Remove $38.79
$38.79 Price Quantity Total Tap to expand
PREFERRED COMPONENTS INC T66231 Info C Right Upper; Secondary Chain Tensioner
{Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers}
(Only 1 Remaining)

Remove $36.99
$36.99 Price Quantity Total Engine : Valve Cover Gasket
Tap to expand
FEL-PRO VS50724R Info B PermaDry molded rubber Gaskets. incl.; Includes Spark Plug Tube Seals; Valve Cover Grommets Included
{#VS50397} [[url=https://www.rockauto.com/lang/en/answersTab2.html#closeout]Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty] ($13.89)

Remove $13.89
$13.89 Price Quantity Total 2000 JAGUAR XK8 4.0L V8
Engine : Variable Valve Timing (VVT) Solenoid Gasket
Tap to expand
ÜRO PARTS AJ82856 Info A Located at the front of each valve cover
{#URO004793}

Remove $5.78
$11.56 Price Quantity Total Subtotal $101.23

Address Information Email Address
Order Number OR Zip/Postal Code
Remember Me (Optional) Full Name
Address
City
State
AAAEAKALAPARAZCACOCTDCDEFLGAHIIAIDILINKSKYLAMAMDME MIMNMOMSMTNCNDNENHNJNMNVNYOHOKORPARISCSDTNTXUTVAVT WAWIWVWY Zip/Postal Code
Country
United StatesAlbaniaAlgeriaAmerican SamoaAndorraAngolaAnguillaAntigua and BarbudaArgentinaArmeniaArubaAustraliaAustriaAzerba ijanAzores (Portugal)BahamasBahrainBangladeshBarbadosBelarusB elgiumBelizeBeninBermudaBhutanBoliviaBosnia-HerzegovinaBotswanaBrazilBritish Virgin IslandsBrunei DarussalamBulgariaBurkina FasoCambodiaCameroonCanadaCanary Islands (Spain)Cape VerdeCaribbean Netherlands (BES islands)Cayman IslandsChileChinaColombiaCongo (Republic of)Cook IslandsCosta RicaCôte d'IvoireCroatiaCuraçaoCyprusCzech RepublicDenmarkDjiboutiDominicaDominican RepublicEcuadorEgyptEl SalvadorEquatorial GuineaEstoniaEthiopiaFaroe IslandsFederated States of MicronesiaFijiFinlandFranceFrench GuianaFrench PolynesiaGabonGambiaGeorgia, Republic ofGermanyGhanaGibraltarGreeceGreenlandGrenadaGrena dines (St. Vincent and the Grenadines)Guadeloupe / Saint BarthelemyGuamGuatemalaGuernseyGuineaGuinea-BissauGuyanaHaitiHondurasHong KongHungaryIcelandIndiaIndonesiaIrelandIsraelItaly JamaicaJapanJerseyJordanKazakhstanKenyaKorea, Republic of (South Korea)KosovoKuwaitKyrgyzstanLaosLatviaLebanonLesot hoLibyaLiechtensteinLithuaniaLuxembourgMacaoMacedo nia, Republic ofMadagascarMalaysiaMaldivesMaliMaltaMarshall IslandsMartiniqueMauritaniaMauritiusMexicoMoldovaM onaco (France)MongoliaMontenegroMontserratMoroccoMozambi queMyanmarNamibiaNepalNetherlandsNetherlands AntillesNew CaledoniaNew ZealandNicaraguaNigeriaNorthern Mariana IslandsNorwayOmanPakistanPalauPanamaPapua New GuineaParaguayPeruPhilippinesPolandPortugalPuerto RicoQatarReunionRomaniaRussiaRwandaSaint Kitts (St. Christopher and Nevis)Saint MartinSaint Pierre and MiquelonSamoaSan MarinoSaudi ArabiaSenegalSerbia, Republic ofSeychellesSierra LeoneSingaporeSint MaartenSlovak RepublicSloveniaSouth AfricaSpainSri LankaSt. LuciaSurinameSwazilandSwedenSwitzerlandTaiwanTanza niaThailandTogoTongaTrinidad and TobagoTunisiaTurkeyTurkmenistanTurks and Caicos IslandsUgandaUkraineUnited Arab EmiratesUnited KingdomUruguayUzbekistanVanuatuVaticanVenezuelaVie tnamVirgin IslandsWake IslandWallis and Futuna IslandsZambia Phone
Email
Shipping Address
Billing Address
Same as Shipping Address
Shipping Enter Zip/Postal Code above to calculate shipping.
Tax, Total, & Payment Parts Cost $101.23 $101.23 Please Select Payment Method

Split Payment?

All sales subject to our Return and Warranty policies.
How Did You Hear About Us?
Place Order Email this cart to a friend (or yourself)
Available Carts 2021-05-06 04:32:52

here is a part order for what you need to do the secondary tensioners. You can get everything for a little over $100. As I mentioned before that you are local and I have the tools needed.If you want I can loan them to you or possibly assistif I have time. You should stop talking about changing them and do it or you can change your name from CaJag to CaPaperweight. If you have the origional tensioners there is a high probability that they are cracked. You don't need new cam covers unless they are cracked. If you have a bad one I have extra ones. It takes a little more time to install new gaskets compared to my'66 Mustang, but at $1000 a set I will do them all day long and with lumber prices now I might be able to afford a couple of sheets of plywood.The ball is in your court. Let me know if you need my assistance.

The following 5 users liked this post by BobRoy:
JimmyL (05-06-2021), Jon89 (05-06-2021), kstevusa (05-06-2021), michaelh (05-06-2021), Terry007 (08-01-2021)
Old 05-07-2021, 01:17 PM

BobRoy thanks for taking the time to put together the info and also for your generous offer. You're right. Probably time to change my name to CA Lightweight. It's a familiar story in here but I've put way more time and work into this car than planned. Bought a fixer Jag w/ no history. Never again. Besides the tensioners issue, the top just stopped going up (low fluid? valve?) and found a trans leak. Get into that one and it's time to change the fluid and filter. It's a Jag but am guessing this car will have more issues than normal because of the lack of maintenance. My big problem is not having enough time. Upside here? I've driven out in the country in a vintage XK with the top down. Thanks again.

Old 05-07-2021, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member

Whatever you do, don't get discouraged. It will seem that everytime you fix one problem another rears its ugly head. These are beautiful cars and fun to drive. My wife and I took the 2000 xk8 through Napa a few weeks ago. It was the first time I had it out after replacing the engine and upgrading the front suspension that took me over a year. There is nothing better than crusin through wine country with the top down and letting both of my hairs blow in the wind.
I get the feeling from your post that you are exited about your car and you are enjoying the forum. If it wasn't for this forum I proably would of given up on my first Jaguar. No only did I get the information to help me get my car back on the road I got hooked to where I have 8 or 9 Jags. I think I have made several friends over the years, I hope they like me because I like most of them.
Tomorrow I will be at my shop, a warehouse with all of my stuff, cleaning up. If you want to stop by if you have time we can take a look at your top. I have the proper hydraulic fluid if it needs to be topped off. If you want we can pull a cam cover off to check your secondary tensioners. We can see if the are a time bomb with a short fuse. I also have the Icarsoft scanner for Jaguar. It will give you alot move info than an OBII scanner. I willing to give you an hour of my time to check out your car. If you stay longer than an hour you will have to help me clean up. 😁 If tomorrow doesn't work we can make it another time if you want.
Whatever you decide I wish the best for you.

The following 2 users liked this post by BobRoy:
cjd777 (05-07-2021), michaelh (05-07-2021)
Old 05-07-2021, 05:30 PM

You nailed it. I really like the car and the forum has been great. Guess I'm hooked. I've been going on and on about the tensioners. Wondered if you could get me banned from the forum

Yeah the top stop was kind of discouraging. Checked the oil level on the pump. Within range. Valve seems fully closed. No obvious leaks altho the lines feel slightly greasy. Latch doesn't seem to be unlocking.
The trans leak is a can of worms.

Tomorrow is good. I'll PM you to get info and to see if I'm bringing wine or beer.

Old 05-07-2021, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CA Jag

Tomorrow is good. I'll PM you to get info and to see if I'm bringing wine or beer.

Wine or beer? I can sometimes be a PITA but you don't need to be drunk to deal with me.😁😁

Look forward to your PM.

The following 2 users liked this post by BobRoy:
dfbender (05-08-2021), michaelh (05-07-2021)
Old 05-08-2021, 06:16 PM

Bob, just wanted to say it was great talking with you. Thanks for answering my questions. The show and tell really helped. The broken secondary tensioner is sitting on my desk as a reminder. Happy to know "CA Paperweight" comment meant the car (not me). Glad to hear it's possible to drive a Jag cross county. My goal is Olympia WA one of these days

The following 3 users liked this post by CA Jag:
BobRoy (05-08-2021), Dennis Reardon (09-30-2021), michaelh (05-09-2021)