XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Too beautiful of a car to bring to Wisconsin harshness? (questions and advice please)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 05:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Too beautiful of a car to bring to Wisconsin harshness? (questions and advice please)

Basically, I'm going to be able to afford UP TO a $30,000 car. I've got a few on my list, and this is one of them. A 2006 Jaguar XK8 or XKR. So, i have a few questions. I know all about the car itself, it's more can it be used all year round? I get snow 4-5 months out of the year here. How well does it handle winter despite being RWD? Also rarity is a concern. I'm going to have to go out of state to get one of these, and I'm concerned about breaking down or getting parts for this car, how will I be able to fix it? Will a Ford dealership be able to do it? Is there any kind of warranty or I suppose it'd be expired from 2006 anyway? Basically I'm asking about the practicallity of driving one of these year-round in Wisconsin. And i must ask... is the Supercharged engine worth the extra $7,000? I had a 400HP car before, there fun, but you can't play with them often or you get into trouble lol. And 21 mpg is pretty bad, I might go for the Xk8. Oh and I'd want a convertable.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

I would buy a $4000, 4 year old Chevy to drive for 6 months of the year and an XK8/R for the rest of the year. And no . . . the R is not worth $7000 premium . . . in my humble opinion.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

im pretty sure most people dont drive there cars year round in the nothern states. im in new york and we have 21 degree weather and im still driving it till it snows. then the awd comes out lol.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:49 PM
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I bought a 2006 XK8 a week and a half ago, so I am no expert.

Also, living in Atlanta I have no idea how well it will go or live in snow.

With regard to concerns about reliablility of systems and warrantee... I bought a car from a dealer which came with Jaguar's Select Edition warrantee. It covers cars until six years after they first go in service or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. In my case that goes until April 2012. In addition, the dealership offered another 2 year warrantee beyond that for additional $ which I bought. You might consider all of that when you evaluate cars.

Everything works on my car. People who know say they are reliable. I have a warrantee to cover the big stuff. I plan on enjoying the car.

It is a great car. It puts a smile on my face.

Jack

Old 12-14-2010, 09:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't drive mine in the winter unless we get a nice day. In fact I never drive it in the rain if I can help it. That being said If you have followed the forum you will note the issues. With a 2006 there will be considerably less. I have a 2004 XK8. I went out of state to buy it and drove it home. It was a blast. Once home I changed all the fluids. It had turned 30,000 on the way home. Oil, Trans, diff, brake and anti-freeze. Went to Castrol gold syn. used the Jag diff and anti-freeze and used the lifeguard 6 for the trans. The filter is a part of the pan so you have to buy it as a unit and I got it from ZF along with the fluid for a lot less then if it was Jag branded. I also did the resistor on the convertable top motor to forstall the green monster. I also installed the Arden Sport muffler system. I little more tone perhaps. After using the maf sensor cleaner my transmission begain shifting smoothly. I don't think these cars have a whole lot of issues after the 2003 US model year. There are a lot of people that love them and if you look around I'm sure there's a Jag Club in Wisconson. We have one here in St. Louis and those guys have been very helpfull. If its any consolation I've really been looking around for an Aston Martin and they are a whole different ballgame. Jags are great and I love mine but I just wouldn't drive mine in nasty weather. Good Luck

Last edited by growler; 12-14-2010 at 09:25 PM. Reason: mis spell
Old 12-14-2010, 09:24 PM
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

With snow tires and a good wax job it will survive but is that the point?

I also agree that $7000 is too much for the XKR premium.

I would get a pickup for the worst weather and for hauling stuff. Put snow tires on the truck too!

Last edited by Dan R; 12-14-2010 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 12-14-2010, 09:24 PM
Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

I do not think the XK8 is a good winter car. Also the salt will devalue your investment. I agree, you should get a 4x4 for the snow, and store the Jag in the winter. That's what I do, my Flex AWD with winter tires is much safer to drive right now (had 2 more feet of snow yesterday).
Alfred

Old 12-14-2010, 10:44 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is definitely not a good winter car if your region receives a lot of snow. Mine is stored and my old Jeep takes care of rotten weather with aplomb!

As to if the premium is worth it for an 'R, do yourself a favour and drive both before you make your decision. You'll then know what suites you best. I have owned both and to me the difference is night and day. At the time I got my 'R the premium was only $4k.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:15 PM

Well I've been asking around for any RWD in winter, and most people say the same things. I'm more asking if it's do-able. with snow tires and traction control, as long as I drive like a grandma I should be fine.

Many people recommend storing nice cars for winter. I have done so previously, with an old firebird, and it's no fun. It sucks to leave it sit in a cold garage, move cars around every summer, pay for storage sometimes, change insurance, not to mention if I own a $30,000 vehicle it's a huge let-down to drive a beater through winter. So, whatever I get is going to be driven year round.

Having said that I don't want to simply cut RWD and nice, expensive cars like this out of my options. Sure winter can be harsh on cars, but if I pick up say, a 2009 mitsubishi lancer ralliart, AWD, sure it can plow through the snow better, but it's still an expensive beautiful car, so I'd have to take care of it and wash just the same as a summer only car. I figure a car wash every 2 weeks outta keep the rust off it, worked for my older cars. Course longest I owned one car is two years, so far.

This car is basically at the top of my list, but with the rarity parts and poor gas milage, and of course higher insurance, I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. On the other hand, I'm not gunna give up a car like this cuz I have winter.

I've also heard that Wisconsin changed there salt a few years back that doesn't rust cars as bad? or is that just a rumor i heard?

Old 12-15-2010, 09:06 AM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Off the top, I have never driven an 'R', so I won't wade into that one.
I live an hour's drive (OK, 40 min. in the Jag) north of Toronto, so I have a feeling for your weather. My '8' goes away to the garage in Nov. and sits there cold, but waxed, oiled, stabilized, trickle-charged, etc., and WAITING for April! I go out and pat it every now and then, but I gladly give it up to keep it out of that damn salt. I just pop the hood (bonnet), and imagine that engine covered in corrosion and salt, and close it up again quick! Plus, I just can't picture those P-Zeros in snow. A few years back when I considered treating myself to a 'sunday best' car, I set aside some of my fun chips for a winter beater. I wound up with a 10 yr. old Jeep TJ which I just love. It is very reliable, a blast to tear around in all year, and it just EATS winter. It meant that I bought a year or two older Jag, but I have never regretted that for a minute. I think it's the best of both worlds.

Plus, after a winter in the Jeep, BOY do I ever appreciate the suspension in the Jag!

Old 12-15-2010, 09:20 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I grew up in Indiana, learned to drive there in snow and poor weather conditions. I had a 78 camaro and put into a ditch more than once in the white stuff. For the amount, and depth of the snow that you will be more frequently putting yourself through, I can say with confidence that it will either slide sideways (bouncing off curbs which'll tick you off to no end), or you may not even be able to clear some of the thicker stuff - the valence is very low to the ground. Don't expect it to grip and push over even the slightest pile. I have trouble going up a 15-degree concrete driveway with 1/2" snowfall amount on it. ALAS, if you do want one, Go for the 05 XK8, put $5 into getting a second, cheap, reliable vehicle...maybe a subaru AWD or an older Jeep Gr Cherokee (they're like dirt cheep 2001-2002) for the really thick stuff. Keep the jeep on the street, jag in the garage, and if its just slight dusting, thin stuff on roads that are heavily travelled, the jag works fine. The TC comes on ALL the time, and I am always on pins and needles, in a teeth clenching mode when a snow/ice hits Ft Worth (and remember, I grew up and learned to drive in the stuff) But since its my only car, I cope on these rare occasions.

Wisconsin, I wouldn't even consider it, unless you work at home and can literally choose when you leave the house.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

considering your comments, an AWD car like an S4/RS4 Audi would be suitable, same story with parts, but with the right tyres it'll do 12 months a year.....a convertible XK for 5 months of the year with the hood up, why bother?

Old 12-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean B
considering your comments, an AWD car like an S4/RS4 Audi would be suitable, same story with parts, but with the right tyres it'll do 12 months a year.....a convertible XK for 5 months of the year with the hood up, why bother?

Why bother? For the days when the 'hood' is down! There's enough of them.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sean B
.....a convertible XK for 5 months of the year with the hood up, why bother?
My thoughts on having a summer car only, really. A car you can only drive half the year? Why bother?

I think what I'm going to have to do is drive any modern RWD with snow tires through some snow and see for myself. Don't really know how I'm gunna do that though.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

I would say, November to early March, keep your nice car inside or under wraps, starting it every so often or else keep a trickle charger on. Then have a beater 4WD for the tough sledding.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer from Boston
I would say, November to early March, keep your nice car inside or under wraps, starting it every so often or else keep a trickle charger on. Then have a beater 4WD for the tough sledding.
Trickle Charge - Yes (Battery Maintainer).

Occasional Start - NO Unless you COMPLETELY warm up the Engine which really needs car to be driven 10 miles or more.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:42 AM

I have 2 more questions actually, just about the car itself.

1. The navigation system seems to be DVD? So, will it be old and not updated? Can you even get updates for it? Or, if I went and bought a 3rd party nav system, is there any way I can get it to be palced in the same spot?

2. Does this car have any MP3 functionality? If not, is the front deck (with a tape player i guess... in a 2005? really?) fiarly easy to remove jsut like any othe car?

3. "Parking Assist" So, is this car new enough that it's one that parks itself, or is it just some kind of guide system?

4. Lastly, as I'm sure its more of a new thing, I assume there's no voice communication features? (not that they're really necessary... but the can be kinda fun

Old 12-17-2010, 03:45 AM

oh yes I've also read xenon headlamps and adaptive cruise control are options for the xk8? are they common enough options most will have them?

Old 12-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

1. Maps are old and outdated for the factory nav, 2003 to be exact, is the very latest. No more updates. And Yes, you can see my particular option. Also check here, the process to add these things is getting much simpler, especially for the audio and the video switch is much more affordable.

2. no mp3, they were quite behind the rest of the world in that regard

3. parking assist by audible tones only

4. I don't think so

Old 12-17-2010, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy
1. Maps are old and outdated for the factory nav, 2003 to be exact, is the very latest. No more updates. And Yes, you can see my particular option. Also check here, the process to add these things is getting much simpler, especially for the audio and the video switch is much more affordable.

2. no mp3, they were quite behind the rest of the world in that regard

3. parking assist by audible tones only

4. I don't think so
Ok, sounds good so far, but could you please answer a few more things for me?

1.Okay, so looking at your link, it seems if I want to just replace the stereo and nav unit i should be able to. I figure if I can get some kind of touch screen operated one that will fit in it, that would work great. granted it would also need to somehow power on without me pressing an exterior button, whereas i'd like it so just the screen shows. and of course there's size. Any recommendations for which GPS would be best? You said you used a remote-control Garmin, so can i say turn it on with remote, then use touch-screen?

2. I discovered they make entire navigation/sound system dash kits, like modern cars tend to have. However, the thing is huge, and I think it would take out the heated seats row of buttons, so I don't think it can be used in this car. or can it?

3. Where would I get something like this installed? could best buy do it? I'm no professional and would rather not mess with it.

4. And lastly, I know xenon lights and adaptive cruise control are options on the xk8. What about a premium sound system, with a sub-woofer? It doesnt have to be the best, but i don't want it to be crap either. Are they common enough that I should be able to find a xk8 with those options?

Quick Reply: Too beautiful of a car to bring to Wisconsin harshness? (questions and advice please)