XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

too good to be true scanner for Jag ABS/TCM/etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 08:33 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cruisin
I'll make myself a note to specifically check for that when I try it out.

Russ
Well I got mine today i930...works with jag and r/rover...£90.00 delivered.

Just quickly tried it, it reads OBD2 and some body modules...found a fault within a parking sensor. So yeah, it looks like a good tool to help diagnosis along side of my sdd.

The following 2 users liked this post by Big Dipstick:
RJ237 (03-02-2015), sklimii (03-02-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 10:30 AM

Anyone in the uk who wants the web site for this uk retailer...pm me, it was the cheapest online I could find. I ordered it on the 26th in the evening and it was delivered this morning 2nd.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:49 AM
Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I actually got mine a couple days ago also, but have been slow in posting a "review" until I can really go through all the functions and take some notes. at first blush, however, I'm still on the fence if it was worth it or not. there are two OBD2 sections in the main menu. one Jag/Rover specific, and one for "generic" vehicles. this I'd put on the plus side, as it lets one scan "generic" OBD2 vehicles with this unit also, and therefor helps justify the purchase.
A few things that I don't care so much for are:
(1) the temp values are in Celsius, and I'm in a Fahrenheit country. there doesn't seem to be any way to change the settings.
(2) the documentation that came with the unit is really sparse. it wasn't to hard to figure out the main functions, but they could have done a LOT better job with the owners manual IMHO.
(3) there are 182 items listed in the "real time" monitoring section, but some of them show "0" value (on my car anyway), and a couple of the temp readings show "-40C", which I'm pretty sure isn't correct . also several of the values are shown only as the sensors voltage value, which isn't particularly helpful to me, but might be to more experienced users, or those with more detailed service manuals to indicate the sensors normal ranges etc.

As I play with it a bit more I'll update also, and I hope others will as well. it looks like a tool that may benefit greatly from shared information, as we each learn it's secrets.

Russ

The following 2 users liked this post by cruisin:
jimmiejag (12-08-2017), max224 (03-02-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 11:27 AM

The manual is a little thin with detail but hey....the book aint going to grow arms and fix the car! I paid £90.00 GBP delivered. Celsius/Fahrenhiet...Meh, that is no hardship (we have to contend with pints, gallons and grams....and our gallons aren't odd like US gallons! lol).... for a scanner that will pull and clear OBD2 and CAN BUS and works...its cheep! Especially when compared to the piece of crud Vgate OBD2 scanner adapter this is on my desk as a paper weight!

Old 03-02-2015, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

All good information, Russ. My Torque app is pretty good, but it's very basic and only covers generic codes. I recently had an airbag problem, and if it weren't for the blink-codes, I don't know how I would have found it. Thanks for sharing your experience with this; I'm almost ready to purchase one, just need a little nudge over the edge.

Max

Old 03-02-2015, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 885 Likes on 472 Posts

(3) there are 182 items listed in the "real time" monitoring section, but some of them show "0" value (on my car anyway), and a couple of the temp readings show "-40C", which I'm pretty sure isn't correct .
Russ

Are the sensor names provided or listed 1 to 182?

Old 03-02-2015, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by ArtyH
Well spotted Race, thanks for the update.
I got mine £90.00 delivered from:-

Land Rover & Jaguar iCarsoft i930 Multi System Diagnostic Tool - SRS, ABS, Engine etc..

icarsoft are states based www.icarsoft.us_Professional Auto Diagnostic Scan Tool

Old 03-02-2015, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by RaceDiagnostics
Are the sensor names provided or listed 1 to 182?
Oh no. they are listed by name on-screen. you see 4 at a time on screen and mark the ones you want to monitor, which can be all four on that page, or just individual items from that page. when you click <ESC> to monitor the items chosen you see four of your chosen items at a time.

sorry about the reflection of my shop light, but you get the idea

[edit]: note that the engine oil temp is shown in volts, but the water temp and intake air temp are in degrees C.

Russ

Attached Thumbnails too good to be true scanner for Jag ABS/TCM/etc-p1010923.jpg  

Last edited by cruisin; 03-02-2015 at 01:17 PM. Reason: add edit info
Old 03-03-2015, 07:13 AM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default scanner

Hey Guys,, I bought a Launch CRP123 and it seems to work just fine on my 2003 XK8 and 2004 XJ8. Reads codes on engine, trans, ABS and SRS.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Kinda expensive, though.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:29 PM

Not sure if I like this i930 more today or less I still find it frustrating that I can't change it to read in fahrenheit, as that's the language I think in. but I printed out a conversion chart to help me with that, so I can deal with it.
yesterday I was blissfully playing with the controls and learning the scanners functions, and was also when I snapped a photo of the screen (see above post) to share. it hadn't really occurred to me until I looked at the photo later that the scanner had been showing an ECT of over 255*F !! well this led me into a frenzy that didn't do my heart any good for a wile, until I discovered that my infrared gun showed that all was well with the engine, which was holding ~185*-190*F . after that I checked it with i930 again and this time it showed -40C . OK…… maybe a bad temp sender I thought. but first I plugged in my old innova 3130,…. which showed a running temp of 185-190F on a multi lap trip around the block. arrrrggggg. this is getting really frustrating. the i930 shows me some codes that I can't get on other scanners, but if I can't trust the readings to be accurate, or at least consistent, what would be the point. pfffttttt,

Russ

Old 03-05-2015, 01:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Software bugs, gotta love 'em.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member

Not sure if I like this i930 more today or less I still find it frustrating that I can't change it to read in fahrenheit, as that's the language I think in. but I printed out a conversion chart to help me with that, so I can deal with it.
yesterday I was blissfully playing with the controls and learning the scanners functions, and was also when I snapped a photo of the screen (see above post) to share. it hadn't really occurred to me until I looked at the photo later that the scanner had been showing an ECT of over 255*F !! well this led me into a frenzy that didn't do my heart any good for a wile, until I discovered that my infrared gun showed that all was well with the engine, which was holding ~185*-190*F . after that I checked it with i930 again and this time it showed -40C . OK…… maybe a bad temp sender I thought. but first I plugged in my old innova 3130,…. which showed a running temp of 185-190F on a multi lap trip around the block. arrrrggggg. this is getting really frustrating. the i930 shows me some codes that I can't get on other scanners, but if I can't trust the readings to be accurate, or at least consistent, what would be the point. pfffttttt,

Russ

I saw that in the picture above, it says that the coolant temp is 126 deg C which is impossible.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:57 AM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

(3) there are 182 items listed in the "real time" monitoring section, but some of them show "0" value (on my car anyway), and a couple of the temp readings show "-40C", which I'm pretty sure isn't correct . also several of the values are shown only as the sensors voltage value, which isn't particularly helpful to me, but might be to more experienced users, or those with more detailed service manuals to indicate the sensors normal ranges etc.
These temp readings sound a bit buggy. I've been developing a firmware temp. monitor (for just myself) using the OBD codes and fallen in the same trap . When answering the "01 05" (engine temp)enquiry the response is temp + 40 degrees. It is up to the software to subsequently deduct the 40 degrees. If the software misses a beat and gets an '0' instead it will display an erroneous -40. This error should be handled and suppressed.
Just saying. . .

The following 2 users liked this post by multiplecats:
Jag Pilot (03-06-2015), Norri (03-05-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 05:52 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

I thought it sounded too good to be true...

Old 03-05-2015, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by multiplecats
I've been developing a firmware temp. monitor (for just myself) using the OBD codes and fallen in the same trap
I started off doing a little project just for myself a few years back, that grew arms and legs, good luck with your project I ended up spending about 750hours on mine.

The following users liked this post:
multiplecats (03-06-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 09:17 AM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceDiagnostics
I started off doing a little project just for myself a few years back, that grew arms and legs, good luck with your project I ended up spending about 750hours on mine.
Haha I'm there too. Last week sat freezing in the driver's seat at 2C nursing a laptop and proto-board trying to get it to work! It's a PIA that you need the car for testing as well although I've (sort of) got it working on the workbench.

I know I could buy one but now it's a Grade A obsession!

Old 03-06-2015, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Big Dipstick
Big,
Are you getting accurate ECT, EOT, IAT readings with yours?

Thanks,
Russ

Old 03-06-2015, 11:30 AM

All my readings appear to be accurate Russ.

The following 2 users liked this post by Big Dipstick:
cruisin (03-06-2015), Jag Pilot (03-06-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 05:11 AM
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Anyone here own this particular scanner:
Jaguar Diagnostic Scanner Tool SRS ABS Check Engine OBD2 Erase Code Reader Scan | eBay ?
for the money, and what it claims to be able to scan for, it sounds almost too good to be true.
So what do ya'all think?

Not sure if I even need to own my own scanner yet, until I find out if my local foreign car repair joint has a scanner that will pick up my ABS codes. he said to bring the car by and he'll plug his in and try it, no charge. he says some Jags are hard to scan for ABS and TCM codes. here in PoDunk we have no authorized Jag dealers.

Thanks,
Russ
Honestly a scanner depends on what results your looking for and if you plan on doing the repairs yourself or outsourcing it. I use a wide range of scanners but I am a mechanic,and I actually flash,program and calibrate models.For Jaguar I use a genuine jlr mongoose, that requires registration and topix subscription,for other cars I use a Launch x431 Master,also use a Autel Maxysis,Launch creader8,and BMW Ista...Looking at buying a Autoland Iscan scientec...These above units run thousands and have coding capacity,actuation,and programming,excluding the creader8 which has live data which is reall what you want.It also has workshop mode for brakes and oil light reset for many models..It will cost you between 200-300.00.This is what I recommend for the DIY'ER...

Quick Reply: too good to be true scanner for Jag ABS/TCM/etc