XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

too good to be true scanner for Jag ABS/TCM/etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 10:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also bit the bullet, as I'd been thinking of buying a code reader for some time, and now have the ABS light and ECU up on the dash of my 2004 XKR.

It diagnosed and cleared the ABS fault fine (Wheel Speed Sensor), but for some reason is having a problem with the ECU light.

it says:-

Fault in communication with vehicle ECU.

1. Please confirm this vehicle is armed with the system
2. This system is an electrical control system
3. The diagnostic connector is ok
4. Ignition is on.

I appreciate that this isn't a forum for code readers, but has anybody got any ideas please? I've checked the cable connection is ok and the ignition is on.

Thanks

Steve

Old 03-07-2015, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

There was a thread in the XJ section similar to this one. It also discussed the Creader VIII, although not directly comparing them. What came out of that discussion (and others on Land Rover forums) is that fake clones are being sold on ebay, and even by third-party sellers on Amazon, resulting in a number of software issues that neither company (icarsoft & Creader) would address. The bottom line; don't buy strictly on price. Research the seller to the extent that you can, or write to the company and either buy from them, or have them point you to an authorized dealer.

The $ 20-$30 you might save buying from a dubious source isn't worth the aggravation you might have to endure.

The following users liked this post:
djpxk8 (09-21-2017)
Old 03-07-2015, 11:33 AM
Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by max224
There was a thread in the XJ section similar to this one. It also discussed the Creader VIII, although not directly comparing them. What came out of that discussion (and others on Land Rover forums) is that fake clones are being sold on ebay, and even by third-party sellers on Amazon, resulting in a number of software issues that neither company (icarsoft & Creader) would address. The bottom line; don't buy strictly on price. Research the seller to the extent that you can, or write to the company and either buy from them, or have them point you to an authorized dealer.

The $ 20-$30 you might save buying from a dubious source isn't worth the aggravation you might have to endure.
which XJ section was that in? can you provide a link?

Thanks,
Russ

Old 03-08-2015, 03:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reply Max. I don't think this the case, as the website is huge and seems to sell all sorts of diagnostic stuff. They also "appear" to be genuine and have excellent after sales service (but they would say that, wouldn't they!).

I'll contact them and see if they can throw any light on it.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Tried to find the previously-mentioned XJ Forum link regarding the Creader VIII, but with no luck. I was looking at several sites and may have gotten this one confused with one of those (or it was a Senior Moment; take your choice!). Sorry for the misinformation.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:52 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cruisin
[hand up] I'll go first. I ordered one a couple hours ago and just now received a notice that the unit has shipped and a tracking number was supplied. so far, so good.

Russ
I would like your feedback when you get it. I am thinking of ordering myself. Please letme know what you think of it. Thx Jim

Old 03-12-2015, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by convgto69
I would like your feedback when you get it. I am thinking of ordering myself. Please letme know what you think of it. Thx Jim
I've had mine for a wile now. it's a decent unit for the money, and has already saved me a lot of time tracking down several issues with my own xk8. if you just want to track down an issue with your own car when needed, instead of paying the dealer to scan it, then I'd say it's money well spent. that being said, I've stepped up and ordered a Launch Creader8, as recommended by 912guy, also……., but maybe I just have a gadget addiction

Russ

Last edited by cruisin; 03-12-2015 at 10:35 AM. Reason: cuz
Old 03-13-2015, 05:46 PM

update: As I mentioned the other day, I had ordered a Launch Creader VIII to add to my scanner collection. it was a bit time consuming, getting all the updates to download, so I haven't had time to do much actual scanning with it yet. but from what I see so far, it looks to be the exact same Jaguar specific software as the i930. bottom line, as I see it, is that if you want a scanner that only fully scans Jaguar, then buy the i930. but if you also want to fully scan a variety of other makes of vehicles (meaning to include ABS, Trans, airbags, etc) then the Creader VIII may be the way to go. but as far as scanning a Jag, they work exactly the same.

Cheers,
Russ

Last edited by cruisin; 03-13-2015 at 05:54 PM. Reason: cuz
The following 2 users liked this post by cruisin:
MRomanik (03-14-2015), RJ237 (03-13-2015)
Old 03-15-2015, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

I am considering the Launch Creader viii. From what I've read, it will work on my Jag & Audi.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

Read some reviews of the Creader Vlll that talked about problems with changing the resident language from Chinese to English, and downloading the updates. How difficult did you find it to be? Also, I thought that the i930 would work with cars other than Jaguars and Land Rovers; is this not the case? I'm not sure I will ever have a need to diagnose ABS and other proprietary systems on cars other than the Jag.

Thanks.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by max224
Read some reviews of the Creader Vlll that talked about problems with changing the resident language from Chinese to English, and downloading the updates. How difficult did you find it to be? Also, I thought that the i930 would work with cars other than Jaguars and Land Rovers; is this not the case? I'm not sure I will ever have a need to diagnose ABS and other proprietary systems on cars other than the Jag.

Thanks.
My unit came to me speaking english, so no problem there. I ordered mine from auto_inthebox (E-bay) which is in Los Angeles. super quick shipping time from them also BTW. I didn't want to order from any overseas company, as there are pirate units floating around, from what I've heard.

Downloading the updates wasn't terrible, but I'm not particularly savy on those type of things, so I have to just kind of plug along blindly. when I first started the download I chose to "download all" models and brands. I think there were like 42 of them. with my first attempt it got to #20 and just stopped downloading, so I started all over again and got to 12 or so the next time. after a few reruns of this it finally dawned on me (duhh) that I really didn't need to download them all again, but rather just re-start from where it left off the last time, and this seemed to work fine. took two more tries to get everything downloaded. maybe an hour total.

the i930 does scan any make/model car with OBDII systems, besides Jag/Rover, ENGINE ONLY, and seems to work fine for them as well, so I think most Jag owners would be quite happy with just the i930.

Russ

The following 2 users liked this post by cruisin:
max224 (03-16-2015), wsn03 (09-16-2020)
Old 03-16-2015, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Russ,

Good advice! I found a lightly-used i930 for sale on ebay and bought it. Looking forward to my new toy!

Old 04-05-2015, 12:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking On a slightly, useless positive note...

Originally Posted by cruisin
I actually got mine a couple days ago also, but have been slow in posting a "review" until I can really go through all the functions and take some notes. at first blush, however, I'm still on the fence if it was worth it or not. there are two OBD2 sections in the main menu. one Jag/Rover specific, and one for "generic" vehicles. this I'd put on the plus side, as it lets one scan "generic" OBD2 vehicles with this unit also, and therefor helps justify the purchase.
A few things that I don't care so much for are:
(1) the temp values are in Celsius, and I'm in a Fahrenheit country. there doesn't seem to be any way to change the settings.
(2) the documentation that came with the unit is really sparse. it wasn't to hard to figure out the main functions, but they could have done a LOT better job with the owners manual IMHO.
(3) there are 182 items listed in the "real time" monitoring section, but some of them show "0" value (on my car anyway), and a couple of the temp readings show "-40C", which I'm pretty sure isn't correct . also several of the values are shown only as the sensors voltage value, which isn't particularly helpful to me, but might be to more experienced users, or those with more detailed service manuals to indicate the sensors normal ranges etc.

As I play with it a bit more I'll update also, and I hope others will as well. it looks like a tool that may benefit greatly from shared information, as we each learn it's secrets.

Russ
At least the -40C reading is the same whether Celsius or Farenheit!

Old 09-21-2017, 10:27 AM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Can get i930 to read all data on my 2003 XK8 except the most important: the ECU/ECM main module under the first/top "Diagnose" category. Unit replies "Fault in communicating with vehicle ECU", but has no problem reading ECU under the "Datastream" category - shows all indicators in a real-time stream. Any idea why it fails under Diagnose? Thanks.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,360 Likes on 2,851 Posts

Keep trying. These iCarSoft i930 scanners are flaky. While mine will usually read both my 2005 S-Type and my wife's 2006 XK8, it refuses to communicate at all with my buddy Wayne's (cjd777) 2000 XK8. And sometimes I have to make several attempts on our two Jaguars before it establishes a successful connection....

You can always go to the iCarSoft website and download the latest firmware. That may or may not help you. Tech support from iCarSoft is a joke (at least it was back in March/April 2016 which was the last time I contacted them) so do not expect any help from them at all....

sdbill (09-22-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 03:08 PM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

You are right about their tech support. Worse than bad.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:47 PM
Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts
Smile iCarSoft i930 Scanner

I purchased an icarsoft i930 scanner 2 weeks ago.

I also had a problem under "Diagnosis" with the ECM, came up with "Fault in communication with vehicle ECU.
Please confirm....etc...I have a call into Matt so we will see what happens.

However, on my 2004 VDP it did show the DTC code under Air Suspension
C 1430 - Rear left damper - short circuit to battery

Under Parking aid control module
C 1707 - Rear left center sensor fault (Which is correct and I will change out)

On my 2001 XK8, I have the "TRAC not available" and the scanner found under
ABS Module:
C1095 - Pump motor circuit failure (Which this forum tells me is the dry joints need soldering on the ABS module printed circuit board)

It also found that the passenger side headrest motor was jammed (and it is)

So I think on balance this scanner has paid for itself.

It has lots of other features which I have yet to understand like streaming data etc...so yes I would but it again, for $119!

sdbill (09-22-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,360 Likes on 2,851 Posts

djpxk8,

Who is "Matt"?

Are you saying that iCarSoft now actually has someone dedicated to customer tech support? If so, where is he located and what is his phone number?

My i930 also paid for itself while helping me diagnose several issues on both of our Jaguars shortly after I bought it in early 2016 ($125 at that time), but the i930 remains a hit-or-miss purchase for many owners so be sure to check the return policy from whatever company you purchase it from....

djpxk8 (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 08:47 PM
Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

Matt is the distributor I purchased my i930 from his phone number is 570-262-4806, call or text. He called me back this evening and said you can get the "coms " problem and the software can be a little temperamental.

He recommended I upgrade to the Foxwell 510 for Jaguar/LR, which is a better scanner. After trying the i930 again this evening I have decided to upgrade, the Foxwell 510 is $159.95.

I will let you all know when the Foxwell arrives...keep your fingers crossed.

The following 3 users liked this post by djpxk8:
Jon89 (09-22-2017), sdbill (09-22-2017), XK8 Comfort (09-21-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 11:45 AM
Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought the i930 over a year ago and whilst it diagnosed a wheel sensor connection fault and cancelled it successfully, if "Automatic" is selected rather than "Manual" in the menu
the "Fault in communication with the ECU" message appears. Judging by other peoples' similar experiences with the software bugs in this scanner and the fact that is made in China and the after sales help is non-existent, it has its uses but is way over priced- you pay your money, you take your choice etc...

sdbill (09-22-2017)

Quick Reply: too good to be true scanner for Jag ABS/TCM/etc