XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Top Closing Window stutter...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Top Closing Window stutter...

I've been dropping the top like a drunken cheerleader since I replaced my hoses and installed the relief valve. Works perfect every time, a great investment in time and money.

Then today while standing outside the car and using the key-in-the-door to RAISE the top the door windows went up, then dropped an inch and the top started to raise. All is normal.

Then all of a sudden the passenger window stuttered down 3", then dropped another 3" and stopped. During this the top continued to raise as normal and latched properly. After latching, the drivers window closed up properly but the passengers window remained 7" down.

Finally, the the rear quarter windows on both sides started to raise but stopped at 3/4 closed. Then the chime sounded.

I twisted the key to "close" again and the pasengers window went full up and the quarter windows closed.

My test driver took the car for work so I haven't had a chance to try it again.

I remember that someone mentioned a hard reset to clear and straighten the memory. Can someone refresh my memory or give me new ideas? Hopefully this was a one time thing...

Thanks!

Old 10-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Spurlee
I've been dropping the top like a drunken cheerleader since I replaced my hoses and installed the relief valve. Works perfect every time, a great investment in time and money.

Then today while standing outside the car and using the key-in-the-door to RAISE the top the door windows went up, then dropped an inch and the top started to raise. All is normal.

Then all of a sudden the passenger window stuttered down 3", then dropped another 3" and stopped. During this the top continued to raise as normal and latched properly. After latching, the drivers window closed up properly but the passengers window remained 7" down.

Finally, the the rear quarter windows on both sides started to raise but stopped at 3/4 closed. Then the chime sounded.

I twisted the key to "close" again and the pasengers window went full up and the quarter windows closed.

My test driver took the car for work so I haven't had a chance to try it again.

I remember that someone mentioned a hard reset to clear and straighten the memory. Can someone refresh my memory or give me new ideas? Hopefully this was a one time thing...

Thanks!
Hi Scott- Thats pretty typical craziness you see when the battery gets low. Any chance it was sitting a while without being driven, or you had the door or trunk open for a long period?

If not, I would get the battery load tested.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Hi Scott- Thats pretty typical craziness you see when the battery gets low. Any chance it was sitting a while without being driven, or you had the door or trunk open for a long period?

If not, I would get the battery load tested.
It's pretty much a daily driver now so the new-ish battery should be up to par but you never know. I'll load test it just to be sure. Connections are clean, dry and tight. No other odd things have been happening, in fact it's become pretty reliable for its age and miles.

Thanks!

Old 10-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

It sounds like the passenger window lost its memory. Mine has done the stutter-down thing before after losing the memory. To reprogram it, hold roll it down and continue to hold the button for about 3 seconds until you hear a click. Then roll it up and continue to hold the button until you hear another click. That should reprogram the window, but if your battery is low it's going to happen all over again.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:50 AM

I'll retrain it sometime today. Good idea.