XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top wont go down neither windows HELP!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Top wont go down neither windows HELP!!!!!!!!

Just bought a 2002 xk8 and the top does not function when the botton is pressed is says convertible roof is not latched, the rear quarter windows will not do anything either, ive checked the pump,, the fuses and the relays are are good,, i can jump the windows down in the realy area but they wont do anything when i press the raise or lower the top button,. Guy im at a loss the top can be lower manually but the rear quarters sill cant get them down buy the button. When the raise button is pressed a beep sounds thats all i get .I REALLY COULD USE SOME HELP DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO CHECK........

Old 03-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Have you tested the switch itself?

Old 03-28-2011, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Try using the door key to operate the top to verify that it is not a console switch problem.

The right rear ram micro switch and the latch micro switch operate in series to advise the body processor module that the top is locked. Try manually latching the top latch with the key to be found next to the pump in the trunk. Check that the manual bypass valve, the brass 'T' valve on the side of the pump is fully closed, i.e. full clockwise. Check the fluid level in the transparent reservoir.

I had such a thing happen when I was trying to get the top to work on a newly purchased car. Manually lowered the top, manually raised it and locked the latch with the key and that fixed it.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

Gus has some great info on the convertible top on his website. I forget the link, but I'm sure he'll be checking in here shortly. He's a mod. In the mean time, I have something that you can try. The same thing happened to me about a month after I had the car, and here's what I did to fix it (I actually got these instructions from the owner's manual).
  1. Go to the trunk. On the right side of the trunk pull away the trunk liner that is around the CD changer. Just pull away that entire side. It's tough and flexible, so don't worry about breaking it.
  2. Above the CD changer you'll see the pump to the convertible top. It will have a T-handle sticking out of it. Turn the T-handle counter-clockwise like you're loosening a screw. That will relieve the pressure on the hydraulic lines.
  3. Next to the pump you'll see an allen key mounted to the little rack that holds everything. Take the allen key and go sit in the passenger's seat.
  4. Stick the short end of the allen key into the hole in the upholstery that is above and to the right of the rear view mirror. That hole goes to the latching mechanism. You want to turn the key clockwise, like you're trying to tighten a screw. That will release the latch. However, it's not going to release it completely, you just want to give it a good jiggle. Push up on the top as you're doing it (push near the top of the windshield).Then you want to turn it the other way to try to re-latch the top.

That's what I did to fix my car. Apparently the sensor that detects when the top is latched didn't activate. All I had to do was convince the sensor that the top was really closed. If the car thinks that the top isn't latched it shuts down the convertible top so that you can't screw things up (I guess).

Old 03-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

It sounds like your system is out of sequence. Close the roof and if necessary lock the latch in the header manually. After doing that push the close button for your roof with the engine running. At this point your roof and windows should all be closed. Then go outside of the car and close the door. Insert your key in the door and hold it the clockwise position and you should see a sequence of events. The driver and passenger windows will drop about an inch, the rear quarter windows will drop and the front latch will open. A few seconds your roof will open.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

See... I told you that Gus would be all over this! You da man, Gus!

Old 03-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
See... I told you that Gus would be all over this! You da man, Gus!
Thanks Sam!

Old 03-29-2011, 08:16 AM

Thanks for the info guys i will try this tuesday morn ,

Old 03-29-2011, 09:28 AM

well i tried it an it did not work,,,, this is what happens ,,,,, the drivers and passenger windows go all the way down and the quarters do nothing,,, i did notice that when the car was off if i pressed the down switch on the top the red light on the shift console would blink every time it was pressed, dont know if that means anything but wanted u guys to know.... the guy i bought it from let the car sit for a long time and had to charge the battery before i took it ,just some more ifo for u guys to see what i should do next GUYS THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!!!!!!!! it seems like everything is out of sequence i programed a remote this morning every thing works but wont lock doors , lights come on, trunk opens, alarm sets but doors wont lock and windows wont go up,,,,,,, maybe this will also lead to a suggestion of what to do next

Old 03-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Part of the roof operation is to operate (off/on) of the security system and it will then operate the body processer. From what you are saying it appears that the battery was dead and you had to reprogram your remote. If the red light is flashing that leads me to believe that the security system is out of sequence. I will do a little checking to see what I can come up with. Do you have any fault codes on the dash when you operate the roof and if you do what is it? Also have you checked your fluid level in the pump tank? Did you try to operate the roof with the key in the door? I am going to send you a PM and in it is my phone # Give me a call. I can spend half the day asking questions on this page.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:57 AM

Yes i tried to use the key in the door started the engine pressed the button turn car off. turned key clockwise , driver and pass windows came all the way down, nothing else happened. faults that come up is roof not latched,,,, track control off,,, acs not working, quarters will work if i jump the relays, pump works if i jump it , tried manually locking roof and unlocking roof ,,,,still error roof unlatched will check fluid level in pump , if low what kind do i use to refill,,,,, and thanks for your time its awesome the help u give

Old 03-29-2011, 11:05 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

I think the first thing you should do now is: [this assumes your top is down or at least released from the header]

1. Unhook the battery
2. Check fuses #15 in each "A" Pillar fusebox and see if they are blown
3. Make sure the latch claw in the header is open, meaning sticking up out of the header. If you have to release it with the hex key, do that.
4. Reconnect the battery
5. Turn the ignition on and press the top DOWN switch and see if the claw pulls down and latches properly

If the claw pulls down, you are probably synchronized and the top should operate from there. If not, there is some other fault or switch failure that will have to be tracked down.

Good luck!

Old 03-29-2011, 11:11 AM

thanks steve i will try that too ,,,, at this point i will anything and everything ,, this is a great car and its been my dream to own one,,, just have to figure how to get my wife to give it back to me,,,,so i can fix the top!!!!! she took it again this morning and left me her Q56

Old 03-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

You're supposed to have a high of 88 degrees there today with puffy clouds and maybe a thunderstorm! That's perfect convertible weather (except for the thunderstorm). You need to tell your wife you need the car for the week! All week long the weather is Lafayette is supposed to be gorgeous!

Old 03-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

We talked on the phone and it appears to me that the previous owner opened and closed the roof manually. I say this because the roof was not locked into position and the petcock was open allowing the roof to open and close freely. This would account for the windows not operating because the rams were not locked and would not lock because the petcock was open. Will post when we get down to the real reason why it was this way.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

Interesting... I wonder if maybe the previous owner didn't even know that the petcock was open. Maybe closing it and resetting everything will get the top back to normal.

I really have nothing to add. Gus is the expert. I just wanted to say "petcock".

Old 03-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Interesting... I wonder if maybe the previous owner didn't even know that the petcock was open. Maybe closing it and resetting everything will get the top back to normal.

I really have nothing to add. Gus is the expert. I just wanted to say "petcock".
Not an expert just obsessive!

Old 04-06-2011, 05:56 PM

gus if your online call me ive missed placed your number

Old 04-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rsigue
gus if your online call me ive missed placed your number
Check your PM