XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

traction and stability fault and abs check eng

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 09:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default traction and stability fault and abs check eng

I have a 97 XK8 with 57,000 miles, the other day, I got the traction and stability control faults with the abs light as well. I read it could be dirty speed sensors, so I removed and cleaned them, while doing this, I noticed the wire that is held in place on the right front speed sensor bolt was broken. I bought a new aftermarket wire lug and crimped onto the wire after stripping some of the insulation. As of today, I now have the traction and stability control faults, my speedo does not register any speed, the abs light and the check engine light are both on. The car is running fine, it stops fine and seems to corner normally.

Is there some kind of a reset I need to do after removing the speed sensors and repairing the wire. I also tried disconnecting the battery for about 8 hours, to see if that might cause a reset, but everything but the clock came back the same. I am hoping someone may have some info on this, before I take it to the shop.

I might add, I am the 2nd owner and bought it in 2000. It is kept in heated garage, and has only been in the rain once in my ownership.

Thanks for nay help and or info.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Generally if fixed it would report the correct speed and be happy about TC etc.

Fault codes for ABS normally stay stored in the ABS module until cleared by an OE-type tool.

The MIL should go off after 3 warm ups but only if the fault is fixed.

I suspect the fault is not fixed...

An OE-type tool can read the ABS module and say what it does not like.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:25 AM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

As Jag V8 says seems as if the fix hasn't worked?
I would try soldering the connection and then see what effect this has the 97 sensors are inductive so should be cheap to replace if needed.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,803 Likes on 2,237 Posts

You will save yourself a great deal of aggravation by locating a shop that can read the Jag specific codes, even a dealer if necessary. Then report the actual codes here for assistance. Do not commit to any repairs until the forum has had the opportunity to view the codes.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,506 Likes on 1,055 Posts

FWIW, the '97 is also notorious for failed ABS control modules. Fortunately, it can be rebuilt in a cost effective manner. Can even be fixed at home, assuming some soldering skills. There are lots of posts, even some with pictures. If you are confident your sensors harnesses are properly repaired and have not failed again with the range of steering and suspension, it might be time to look into that.

Of course, there is no substitute for the actual codes. Unfortunately, some form of Jaguar/Land Rover aware tool is required. These codes are not only useful on their own, but are also terrific to find posts about the problem.

Last, the early instrument clusters had known issues with bad soldering again. There are posts as well as TSBs about this, too.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:06 AM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by rabbits2

Is there some kind of a reset I need to do after removing the speed sensors and repairing the wire. I also tried disconnecting the battery for about 8 hours, to see if that might cause a reset, but everything but the clock came back the same. I am hoping someone may have some info on this, before I take it to the shop.

I might add, I am the 2nd owner and bought it in 2000. It is kept in heated garage, and has only been in the rain once in my ownership.

Thanks for nay help and or info.

+1 on the need for specific codes as there are just too many possible causes for ABS problems that run the gamut from cheap to expensive so that just throwing parts at the problem is the wrong approach.

Cleaning a sensor will not correct a problem if the sensor itself is bad and since you still have good brakes there's not much likelihood of a mechanical problem aside from the potential for a bad reluctor ring I guess.

If it turns out to be the ABS module then yes they can often be repaired with a simple re-soldering on the broken internal circuitry which saves a LOT of $ but without any codes you're flying blind. Find a Bosch or Jag service center and pay for a complete scan and get a print out for reference.

Where are you located?

Old 08-31-2017, 09:32 AM
Received 8,121 Likes on 4,902 Posts

The front wheel speed link harnesses are available for purchase from the dealer.

+1 on getting the actual codes!!!

bob

Old 08-31-2017, 11:47 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Before you start pulling things apart have the battery checked. A low voltage will cause the ABS & Stability flags on the dash. As for the speedo not registering and a check engine light that might be another issue. Read the OBDII codes and see what codes come up and post the codes not what it tells you what it means.

The following users liked this post:
RJ237 (08-31-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,803 Likes on 2,237 Posts

+1 Gus. I meant to mention that earlier today but got side tracked. Or maybe it's just my age.

The following users liked this post:
Gus (08-31-2017)