XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Transmission Cooler Lines

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 06:46 PM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Transmission Cooler Lines

You know them - you hate them and now I hate them too lol.

So after replacing my radiator, I guess the bottom, transmission cooler line spun and rested up against a pulley on the engine which quickly cut its way through the rubber portion.
Considering how much crap I went through with my transmission, this was the deepest cut of all

I did some reading and true to form, getting these lines out of the snake like channel they follow around the various engine bits is pretty much impossible without bending them or performing some major surgery.
Since these lines are all going to perish soon, I thought I might take a different approach. Not just for my own benefit but also for everyone else's. I suspect these can be expensive to have replaced at the Jag dealer since they are going to pretty much clock you over the head with hours.

So the plan is simple.
I am going to replace them with aftermarket parts and use braided lines and AN fittings.
Have already found the fitting that mate to the ZF transmission and plumb out to the 8AN fitting.
The line is easy of course and now I just need to track the fittings necessary to go from AN into the Nissen radiator I purchased just weeks ago.
I would like to find a more direct path from radiator to transmission and that's what I will be investigating tonight. Certainly I could run them through the same path as the originals but since they are not going to be formed like the originals, I will be worried about them rubbing up against other things and either failing themselves or some other part due to the chaffing. If I can find a clear, more straight path, it will be easy to check on them once in a while.

Has anyone else successfully done this?

Old 12-29-2018, 04:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

I used AN fittings on a XJ8 a few years back. I generally followed the path of the original line. I used the ends of the original line and there has been no issues since repair.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...n+cooler+lines

Old 01-02-2019, 06:14 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Now if you can find fittings like this for the oil cooler lines, you will make a fortune. ;^)

The following users liked this post:
zray (01-30-2022)
Old 01-03-2019, 02:39 PM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by BobRoy
I used AN fittings on a XJ8 a few years back. I generally followed the path of the original line. I used the ends of the original line and there has been no issues since repair.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...n+cooler+lines
I have received most of the parts already but stumped on getting the -8 AN into and out of the radiator cooler.
Looks like you cut the end from the original lines and used a pipe adapter of some sort to grip them on there. Still have the part number for those?
Ideally, I would love to find the appropriate -8AN to whatever fitting to go straight into the cooler but no luck so far.

B

Old 01-05-2019, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by razorboy
I have received most of the parts already but stumped on getting the -8 AN into and out of the radiator cooler.
Looks like you cut the end from the original lines and used a pipe adapter of some sort to grip them on there. Still have the part number for those?
Ideally, I would love to find the appropriate -8AN to whatever fitting to go straight into the cooler but no luck so far.

B
I don't recall the size of the AN fittings I used. What I did was take the cooler line to a local speed/race shop and we used calipers to calculate the proper AN fittings.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cabel
Now if you can find fittings like this for the oil cooler lines, you will make a fortune. ;^)
I haven't had an issue with the oil cooler lines, but quickly thinking about it I think I could come up with something.

I used oil coolers with AN fittings and steel braided lines to cool the engine on my sons racecar when he used to race. We had a 1200cc Yamaha engine enclosed under the hood. The way we kept the engine from overheating was by cooling the oil. The hot oil came from the pan then went through a cooler at the front of the car, like a radiator, and from there the cooled oil was reintroduced to the engine in the head through the cams oil passage.

This weekend when I'm at my shop I can post a couple of pictures of the setup.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:10 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I'd like to see that, as I'm using a Yamaha YG4i in an aircraft project.

Old 01-06-2019, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 611 Likes on 450 Posts

Looks like you have parts coming for your method...if you are interested I did the same project in a different way on my str...dreaded transmission line leak is the title I think...or look at threads I started...might help you some...sorry I cannot do the highlight the thread thing... haven't figured it out yet

Last edited by scottjh9; 01-06-2019 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 06-17-2023, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I'm trying to put a nissens 66701 radiator in my 1997 XK8. But the the transmission cooling lines do not match the fitting in the 66701. How were you able to connect to your nissens ? I've been intouch with nissens north America office. They insist that the 66701 with the supplied adapter will work in my car. Nope. Thanks. Mel H