XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission flush...easy....

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 01:50 AM
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Transmission flush...easy....

Well this is my research on my Jags Trans fluid flush.

The 00 to 02 Jag XKR's use the Mercedes 722.6 transmission. W5A 580 in jaguar talk.

Well they say this is a sealed for life transmission. Well Now Mercedes has changed there mind on that and now recommend normal PM service every 30K just like any other Auto. Jag is not going to tell ya that they want you to buy a new trans.

Well what i have found may surprise you.

The filter is 26.39 from jaguarparts.com
the Pan gasket is 25.80 from jaguarparts.com

If you look both of them up under 722.6 pan gasket you get a set NEW for 7.50 off of ebay

The Fluid is Shell ATF 3403 Good luck finding that at your local store. But i did find out that it is available at my local import auto repair place for 14.50 a quart. And it was OEM Mercedes fluid. Needed 10 for a complete change if you drain the torq converter.

This Transmission does not come with a dip stick. I didnt bother asking the jag dealer for it. But i got the
Mercedes tool off ebay for 20.00

The only thing is that you need a computer hookup to read the transfluid temp as the dip stick has a temp reading range from low to hi. You have to figure out if its full by the temp of the fluid. The autoingenuity scanner does give you this option. Which is how i did it.

This is defenetley a DIYer job. DONT PAY A TON OF MONEY TO DO THIS!

Old 12-21-2008, 02:28 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts
Default RE: Transmission flush...easy....

Great job bud, lots of good info there for 2000-2002 owners. I'm not exactly sure about my 03 with the ZHP26 (i think that's it). What was your full temp reading supposed to be?

Old 12-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not just catch all the fluid when you drop the pan, measure itand put the same amount back in with a few extra ounces added for sticks in the filter.... or weigh the filter compared to the new filter...

Old 12-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you happen to research if the XK8 tranny is similar?

Old 12-22-2008, 08:47 PM

The XK8 is not the same. it uses a ZF 5HP24

ZF makes many different transmissions used on Jag,Aston,Mercedes, and BMW.

I am of the opinion that any Transmission needs to have the transmission fluid changed at regular intervals.
BMW has changed many of there stances on there transmissions from the SEALED for life crap. I myself will NOT leave a 150.00 job alone when a 2500.00 transmission re-build is in the works if i don't do it.

ALSO.. if you do as you suggested, and you get it wrong, you are SCREWED. you must get the right amount of fluid in there. if you guess it from the amount in the pan you you are wrong, you can mess up your trans and at least blow some seals. It is imperative you get the fluid level right.

If you don't have a workshop manual.. Go to jaguar.com click on the GTR link on the bottom of the web site. It will link you to a web site that you can pay them, i think its like 14.00 or something like that for a day. and you can view all the TSB's the specs, the wiring diagrams, the workshop manual, you can even download the latest ECU calibrations. the calibrations will not do you any good unless you have a ford VCM.

h20boy I dont remember what it was. But it was smack dab in the middle of the stick at full running temp.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not really following you on how to tell if the correct amount of fluid is being replaced. If you simply drop the pancan you change out the electrical connector that is leaking and replace the filter and gaskets??

does the converter empty when you drop the pan or am I just replacing the fluid lost when the pan is removed?? Is this process covered in a Jag maintanence manual?? maybe I should buy one on ebay.

gary

Old 01-01-2009, 08:36 PM

The converter on my jag has a drain plug. i drained it and filled the case with 4 qts. then started the car to get the fluid moving threw the system. then filled it with another 4. then got the trans temp to the right range. Then added another qt till it was topped off. The system is a 10qt system. There will still be 1gt in the cooler system.

The dipstick tool has two temp markings. one is 25C and the other is 80C
"h20boy, i went back and checked."when the fluid is at full running temp it should be damn close to 80C. i apologize for not making that clear before. My mistake. When i filled it up and it was at 80c the fluid level was right smack dab in the middle of the 80c range on the dip stick.

to do it right, you need to have a scanner capable of showing you the transmission fluid temp "autoingenuity" . If you over fill it, you will blow seals. if you don't put enough in there you will fry your trans.

and yea the processes is covered in the jag maintenance manual. it does not on the other hand tell you about the plug in the torq converter. you have to manual turn the engine over till the drain plug is at the hole in the bottom of the bellhousing so you can drain it.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:43 PM

another interesting thing about this transmission.

the name jag goes by is also used my Mercedes i discovered. and it means

wide ratio W
5 speed 5
automatic A
580nm torq capacity. = 427.7ftp of torq to us Americans.

the 722.6 is the transmission series. and the W5A580 is the sub series. this is the strongest of the series used for v8 and v12 engines.

not important but cool to know. and i guess you can do a bunch of stuff to beef up the trans during a rebuild. Which i will do some day so i can make engine mods with it some day.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

You replace the cap over the trans dipstick tube. The tool is real long. And for trans without the tube, you have to fill removing the fill plug on the side of the trans less than 100degs f. And while running and the car level....on jack stands for you diy's. And if you over fill it aerates the fluid and no hydraulic system functions properly with air in the fluid. In a auto it equates into low fluid apply pressures and smoked clutches in the trans=rebuild..i use a infered temp gun on the pan, no need for a scanners its accurate to within 1 degree of the internal trans temp sensor...and you can use a ir gun for many other things

Old 04-17-2009, 05:41 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It seems to me that the potential downside of screwing this up is pretty severe. I don't mind paying a professional to do a professional job. I like to takle some jobs, but I think that it is a good idea to have a feel for own's own limitations. I sure would hate to end up with a MAJOR bill for a STUPID mistake........
Brian