XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Transmission/gear box fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 08:22 PM
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Transmission/gear box fluid

Talk me down here guys. If I knew something so beautiful was going to be such high maintenance, I might as well have gone with the girlfriend instead of the jag for my midlife crisis.

Shortly after purchase in Feb I get the low coolant light. After reading the forum I figured it was the sensor. Also had a misfire on one cylinder. Took it to my Indy mechanic (my brother in law has his own shop). He determines radiator *is* actually leaking. $1300 later I have a new radiator and a new fuel injector. Car runs great but a few days later I notice I'm leaking "oil" under front right. I mean a small stream, not a drip. And I notice the tranny is feeling funny especially in low gears. Shifting is harsh and there's sort of a pulsing RPM when cruising along around 1500.

I read the forum again and suggest to my BIL that maybe they didn't hook up the oil cooler properly after the radiator swap. (Lots of time elapses here due to various unrelated factors). Got it back today. It was indeed a bad connection on the cooler!

Excitedly driving home after not driving regularly since April, I still have the rough shifting and the pulsing at 1500. Also notice that the red light indicating sport mode has gone out (fault indicator?) but nothing on the dash. So I think "they must not have topped off the trans fluid". When I get home I start reading the "sealed for life" posts and realize they probably did not add any fluid. Oh and by the way, the low coolant light comes on and off sporadically on my way home #heavysigh

So... Do you think low trans fluid is my issue now? Is there a way to check and/or "top off" the fluid? I desperately want to love this car for more than her good looks. (See next post for further exasperation).

2006 XK8 Vert 4.2 65k mi

Old 07-13-2017, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Ok let's think this through. Normal fluid change: empty Fluid. fill up til it flows out (ignition off). Then start car, let tranny get to 40 degrees Celsius or 104 Fahrenheit, foot on brake run through gears slowly. Put in park. Go under car and fill till fluid comes out. Replace plug. All done.

Seems to me you could start car, warm up to 104, put her on a lift, remove plug and add fluid until it flows out. Then you'd be all topped up.

Id be real worried about low fluids ability to controll temperature on a longer drive.

I welcome any corrections from smarter mechanics than I. Seems to be logical to me.

John

Old 07-14-2017, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,506 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by pwalsh691
I notice I'm leaking "oil" under front right. I mean a small stream, not a drip... Do you think low trans fluid is my issue now?
Most definitely. These trans need a pretty exact fluid level to work properly. If never done before, you might want to consider a more comprehensive service, including the bottom pan (with built-in filter) and seal, the connector sleeve and new fluid. The refill procedure is temperature-based (Start from cold, fill until it drips, and let it drip until the fluid reaches 40 deg C.). There is great info here: CTSC FAQ

As usual, there are several options. eBay has cheap 6HP26 kits for this. Of course, there is also the genuine ZF parts for more $. For the fluid, the "correct" one is the ZF Lifeguard6 at $20 per quart. Many of us do the cheaper Mercon SP at $6 per quart (because Ford makes this same trans under license from ZF and made Mercon SP for them).

I would definitely have this fluid level corrected ASAP, at a minimum. At this point, you have no idea how much fluid is left in there, so there is the potential for a lot of damage (the kind that requires the trans to come off the car). I would collect a few quarts of Mercon SP and drive to the mechanics can fix their mistake. I would also print the exact refill instructions for them to go by. No dipstick here...

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

My suggestion is to get a fluid change kit from CTSC and take it to someone who knows hot to change it. Also get the electronics sleeve and have it changed.Messing with Ford fluid and aftermarket stuff is not how I do things. When working with a multi thousand dollar piece of equipment, nothing but the best will do. Mercon is not made for the transmission in the Jag and that's all there is to it.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

I almost forgot, also get a new set of pan bolts. The originals often stick and strip due to small tool size. The new ones from CTSC have larger tool heads.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,506 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmots
Mercon is not made for the transmission in the Jag and that's all there is to it.
Well, your car, your decision, but that statement is too strong. This transmission actually needs a fluid that complies with "Shell M1375.4", as per the Vehicle Spec Book here, P141: VSB

There are several fluids that meet this spec, starting with ZF's Lifeguard6, sold by CTSC and others. Mercon SP is another, as well as all the fluids branded by whatever manufacturer uses this transmission, e.g Jaguar, BWM, Bentley, etc.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:45 PM
Received 8,143 Likes on 4,912 Posts

I install the fill plug at 30 to 35 degrees Centigrade (dribble). That will be the fluid level MAX.
The MIN level will be to install the filler plug at 50 degrees C. with a dribble.

I try to get the gearbox filled with about 3 to 4 liters COLD=less than 30 degrees C. (engine off).
Start the engine and work like a madman.

The temp will climb faster than you think.

bob

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (07-15-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 07:05 PM
Default Dipsticks

Originally Posted by fmertz

No dipstick here...
Just me and my mechanic ;-)

thanks for the info

Old 07-15-2017, 07:59 AM
Default Thanks all

So it looks like for $250 I could get this kit that appears to include everything mentioned above, including the sleeve, better bolts and the mercon. And best bet is I go somewhere familiar with the somewhat esoteric fill procedure.
http://www.thectsc.com/products/oil-change-kit-for-bmw-hyundai-jaguar-land-rover-rolls-royce-186-61.html

thanks all

Old 07-15-2017, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Bob, Want to be sure I understand this one:

"I install the fill plug at 30 to 35 degrees Centigrade (dribble). That will be the fluid level MAX.
The MIN level will be to install the filler plug at 50 degrees C. with a dribble."

I got confused by this one. Engine off, cold tranny: you may get about 4 1/2 quarts in.

Engine on, tranny heated to 40 degrees C with dribble - fill up to spec. I got 1 more quart on. (Max level)

Tranny at 50 degrees dribble - min level? Did you mean that it will accept less fluid as it gets hotter than 40 degrees?j Gosh I would have thought it would be linear from cold to hot the hotter the more fluid you can put in.

This is an interesting point because it will drastically limit how "loose" any of us can be with those tranny fluid temperatures when we are refilling. As you stated above, that temp goes up pretty fast . I just want to be sure I understand what you said.

Thanks for clarifying.

John

Old 07-15-2017, 01:22 PM
Received 8,143 Likes on 4,912 Posts

The fluid expands and you will have LESS fluid in the gearbox if you let the temp get to 50 C. (constant dribble) when you install the plug.

I try to get the gearbox filled first thing in the morning during the warmer months here in Texas. It is usually about 25 C. in the shop in the morning. Ambient temps in the afternoon are already almost 40 C. (too hot to start the filling process)

bob

The following 3 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Johnken (07-15-2017), MRomanik (07-16-2017), reb1999 (08-01-2017)
Old 07-15-2017, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member

Wow makes good sense. Thanks Bob.

John

Old 07-21-2017, 05:14 PM
Default Resolved

Well for the first time since purchase in February I can say the cat is finally running as intended! (Knock on burled walnut). Took it in to a shop with more familiarity with the zf tranny. They "topped" me off with 2.5l of zf fluid. Also found that the lower trans cooler line was loose at radiator (so never had been fixed at first shop). Also pressure tested and topped off coolant - no more "low coolant" warning. Life is good.

Heres my car at the shop along with some sort of high end Taurus

The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (07-21-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 04:00 PM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

Not too many churches in my area work on transmissions. Guess you should have started there. ;-)

Old 07-26-2017, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Stamford
Not too many churches in my area work on transmissions. Guess you should have started there. ;-)
It does make for a convenient and often fitting waiting room