XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Triple Crown Today with the 97!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

I chalk the engine charge fault to the fact that the car was practically not running for a few seconds. In all the issues with the car that one has never came up before or since.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

The High Power Proct Mod was not hot. The fuse box in the truck, there are several square breakers/fuses, what ever you call them. The car had been running for a bit, a couple of them were warm to the touch, not HOT, just warm. I had jsut went through all the connections in trunk, all were tight, and I also pulled all the fuses/breakers and reseated them, car still ran like ****.
At this point, as talked about in the other thread similar to this, I am sending out my ECM to the dudes in TN to test it. He asked me what part# was on it, I told him, he said send it in, most likely my issues. So I will start there. If that is not it then we move on to TB and ABS mod.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member

I just find it hard to think this is a TB issue. From what I read this early model as mine is the TB's had recalls. I know some history of the car and while I can't verifiy this TB was worked on I am fairly sure it has been. Then the fact that my shop put 3 of them on the car and all three did the same thing I just don't buy that all three were dead, hell one was super low miles.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Throttle Bodies

A shop here in Central Florida gave me the run down on why these go bad...or what goes bad. There is a potentiometer that gets worn out...if I remember right it is the Throttle Position Sensor. They tried to get them from Densco..nope won't sell just the pot. So they contacted a manufacturer in China. Can't make it due to patent rights. He was very frustrated but hasn't given up. So a roughly $50 piece is what goes out (can get one for a domestic car for about this price), but Densco won't sell it!!!! Some day somebody will make it I hope. The shop is "All Jaguar" (407) 830-5245 in Longwood Fla. He showed me the part and told me to start my fund for a $2100 TB as mine "Will Fail" in time he says!!! Geez. I know how you feel.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member

Yea, but does that part go bad on three that you have puton your car??? ha ha ha
This is what I hate about this issue that many of us are getting. Getting about the same errors and the way the cars are running but getting 5x the thoughts on what is causing it. HA HA HA
FRUSTRATING.

Last edited by brgjag; 11-30-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member

I am ganna get the SOB solved then the job starts to convince the wife that maybe it should be sold. It is allmost not worth the looks that you get when your driving it. 3rd winter we have had it, second that it will be sitting for a bit due to an issue and lack of funds to fix (first time I was sick, not working for 4 months, and now this time around the xmass season, on the heels of a basement renovation. Ha ha ha

Old 11-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Tim,

I am so sorry that this car has taken you down this road and that you have become a little bitter. I can understand and relate to that feeling. I am also finding it hard to believe that the TB is causing this problem, especially since you replaced it several times with the same results. However I do believe it is an electrical problem. I recently came across a post where his problem was related to a poor connection at the ECU https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=44435 . I know that this situation was not the same but your problem is taking you down the same road. I am in agreement that the ECU needs to be checked and the electrical connections related to be checked and cleaned. I am not going to give up on you as long as you are willing to keep plugging.

I would like to ask when the car began to misbehave did you change the status of anything like turn the cruise control on or off, apply the brake, turn the A/C on or off ……….?

Old 12-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member

Ahhh, I won't give up. Just letting off steam.

This started quietly about 8-12 months ago. A simple gearbox fault but the car got me home. Not any limp mode stuff, it had power but as much. Started it up later, was fine for MONTHS. Hit my wife again, forget her read outs, but no power, etc. Turned it off, back on right away and drove home, no issues.
Then over the last couple months it picked up, started seeing more engine faults, gearbox faults, tract control fault, CEL off and on a few times. Nothig new we starting doing with the car. Pretty much never used CC, have always used the sport mode off and on. nly thing that has changed is that the CC button next to the sport mode was flickering and the other day it would not go out, button on or off.
SO after I got my orig TB back on I went over all the fuses in the car, reseated them all, checked all the connections in truck, all solid, no hints of rust or any corrosion. From when I could tell in the motor area all connections seem fine. Car has always been out of the elements, garaged, so I can't see anything getting dirty there.
Sooo thinking that the TB being replaced so many times may not be the issues then the shop that is getting my ECM stating that the stock number or what ever they called it that is on those early issue ecm's may be my problem I decided to send it out. Chances are it needs help anyways and it still may not be my issue then I will move on to the ABS and TB to be looked at next.
My shop that had the car through the TB issues insisted that the wire harness looked fine.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member

I did check the connections at the ECM ECU what ever you call it. Pushed on all of them.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member

I have never got the "restricted perfromance message" for what that is worth.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by brgjag
I did check the connections at the ECM ECU what ever you call it. Pushed on all of them.

I never pulled them though and reseated those. Oh well.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Our system (Power Co) deals with oxidation issues on a daily basis and it is related to weather conditions but most of the time it is related to the incompatibility of the connectors used. You will notice that tin is used and on the important connections TB & AirBag you will see gold plated connections. I know that I continue to harp on the connection to the front of the car and it seems to me that your problems are related to the engine management system. If you look at the oneline page 19 & 23 you will see the traction control on the left front, the transmission on the right front and the engine management next to it on the right. The main feed to the front from the battery go to the front Fig 1.1 you will see “Tunnel stud connectors in two places, you need to check the connections to the fuse boxes and I would suggest pulling the connections apart clean and reinstall. I use dielectric past on every connection I take apart but if you are not comfortable with that do not bother. You should also check the grounding connections. When you do this be sure to disconnect the battery and not to break the connectors.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member

What PAGES are you referring too?

Old 12-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Received 141 Likes on 125 Posts

I'm probably way off base, but in his book Nigel Thorley mentions that a range sensor switch on the trans. can get wet or fail, sending wrong signals to the ECU. This gives all kinds of error messages. Sorry if this isn't helpful.
Mike

Old 12-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

How can I tell/find out if my TB was ever replaced if at all? Also I would think my car being a 97 that the Computer would have been reflashed? Any tags anywhere on the car eluding to this. I know I saw something in the speare tires well but could not read it, bad angle for my bad back.
My vin if it helps any one.... SAJGX2740VC007908

Old 12-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member

This whole process is really disheartning. This control device or that one, ot that loose wire, or that bad connector. It could be any one of those things. Now that it is COLD I don't like farting around with unknowns in the cold. Ha ha ha
And stupid me bought a Dodge Magnum (5.7 ltr) with even more computer crap. Atleast when this thing throws a code I can go right into the computer from the steering wheel controls and find the code.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

How can I tell/find out if my TB was ever replaced if at all? Also I would think my car being a 97 that the Computer would have been reflashed? Any tags anywhere on the car eluding to this. I know I saw something in the speare tires well but could not read it, bad angle for my bad back.
My vin if it helps any one.... SAJGX2740VC007908
I would think Jaguar would be in position to answer both questions. Re-flashing of the ECU and if the TB was replaced under warranty.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mike66
I'm probably way off base, but in his book Nigel Thorley mentions that a range sensor switch on the trans. can get wet or fail, sending wrong signals to the ECU. This gives all kinds of error messages. Sorry if this isn't helpful.
Mike
No you are not could you give additional information? We are presently shooting from the hip.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

This whole process is really disheartning. This control device or that one, ot that loose wire, or that bad connector. It could be any one of those things. Now that it is COLD I don't like farting around with unknowns in the cold. Ha ha ha
And stupid me bought a Dodge Magnum (5.7 ltr) with even more computer crap. Atleast when this thing throws a code I can go right into the computer from the steering wheel controls and find the code.
I guess this could be overwhelming with the way you explain the symptoms I am grasping at a loose or bad connection and I could be wrong but will not know until you try. It seems less intrusive than turning your check book over the parts department

Old 12-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

What PAGES are you referring too?
http://www.gusglikas.com/images/Auto.../jagxk1997.pdf

Quick Reply: Triple Crown Today with the 97!