Troublesome day installing the pressure relief valve

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 03:13 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkCat
Short story......

The top works!!! Goes down!!! Goes Up!!!

The pressure reduction device is installed.

Gus' power of Thinking Positive works!!!

Long story.....

My friend and I reconnected the six hydraulic lines. Filled the pump with Pentosin. Connected the electrical connections. Tried the top. Nobody home. The windows worked, but the top did not move a bit. Gave no indication that it would. Bummer. My first thought was that maybe the machine shop that took the pump apart did not put it together correctly. I continued to try. I cycled the top up and down. The windows moved but not the top. I hoped the pump and lines had air in them and needed to be purged. Around the fourteenth time I tried to put the top down and just the windows moved I was starting to question the power of Thinking Positive. Around the fifteenth time the top budged a little. The next time it went down!!! I can not tell you what a relief that was. I cycled the top up and down a few times to get any remaining air out. Topped the tank with Pentosin and reinstalled it in the permanant location. Tested it one more time.

Put the top down and drove home! It was a great drive!

Gus, thank you for all your help and advice.

A couple of tips and suggestions...

1. Consider adding some words to the instructions cautioning about overdoing the Torx plug on the side of the pump. It is really stuck in some of these things and they do not want to come out. My technique of simply applying more pressure until something happens is a recipe for disaster as explained in my previous posts. I am not sure what to tell new customers about how to properly get these plugs out if they are that difficult. I just know that applying a lot more pressure is not the answer.

2. When we tried to screw the new hydraulic line in the opening where the brass plug was, the adjacent hydraulic fitting was in the way. Other people have had this issue. Others have rapped the fitting with a hammer to get it to move out of the way. After my experience with the plug I did not want to do that. So, here is a more elegant technique that worked for me...

Next to the hydraulic fitting that is in the way is the brass T valve that releases pressure in the pump. If you remove it, it provides you access to put a wrench on the back of the hydraulic fitting. You can apply some pressure to the fitting and it will move enough to give you clear access to the hole where the brass plug was.

To remove the T valve, simply remove the two screws on either side of it, then turn the T valve counter-clockwise til it comes out.

Since I am a mechanical doofus, I would like some of the more seasoned hands on this board to critique this before someone else does it.

Conclusion...

Alls well that ends well. With the pressure reduction valve installed I will now use the top when I feel like it, instead of fearing the "green shower". Thanks again to Gus and Walt for developing this device. Great job!!
Thank you for your comments and suggestions. And for you On the road again. Kudos to you!

Old 08-07-2011, 06:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Larry,
You say you bought a good hardened bit. Can you tell me what kind and where you purchased? I was attempting to install the valve and my torx bit broke off in the plug. I was able to get it out and I bought another bit (this one GM 3/8in drive - thinking it would give me more leverage than the 1/4in drive), but still could not budget the plug. I was afraid of breaking again, so I called it quits for now and re-installed the pump. Any suggestions?

Old 08-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

It seems that this has taken place 2 other times. The first one the hex tool broke like yours and suggested to get a better quality tool. If I recall he took it to a machine shop and they removed it. The other Walt knows about, I think they were unable to remove the plug at all.

My procedure was to remount the pump so I did not need to hold it and turn the tool and attempt to turn. Mine was hard but with equal force on the tool to keep it lined up at the same time turning. The pump being mounted was a big help.

Check your PM

Old 08-07-2011, 11:22 PM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaggrnxk8
Larry,
You say you bought a good hardened bit. Can you tell me what kind and where you purchased? I was attempting to install the valve and my torx bit broke off in the plug. I was able to get it out and I bought another bit (this one GM 3/8in drive - thinking it would give me more leverage than the 1/4in drive), but still could not budget the plug. I was afraid of breaking again, so I called it quits for now and re-installed the pump. Any suggestions?
Jaggrnxk8 - Well, it turns out that the bit I bought was the GM 3/8in, just like yours. I did exactly what Gus describes above and re-mounted the pump to the car. That gave me the leverage I needed. If you have it back in the car, try to just break the plug loose. Don't remove the plug it until the pump is out, but at least you might get past the high resistance point.

No insult intended, but are you sure you are turning it the correct direction. Sometimes when I'm working in an odd position I find I actually get confused about which direction to wrench. If that's the case, the fix is pretty simple.

Good luck.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks. I didn't think about trying with the pump mounted. I will give it a try. Should also allow me to keep the wrench aligned. I'll take it slow with constant pressure, so hopefully it won't twist and break off again!

Old 08-31-2013, 03:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed the PRV from LSI today. Walt your company was great. Wendy emailed me to let me know it shipped and the turn around time was fast: Thanks! I was lucky in that the plug came out easily. I did have to reposition the top latch hose fitting to be able to instal hose #1. I ended up taking the pressure valve handle out and had to crank pretty hard on the fitting. That was the only difficult part. Once again this forum was instrumental in yet another fix. David