XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal stalk - all X100s same?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Default Turn signal stalk - all X100s same?

Well tonight I had the pleasure of a failed turn signal / Headlight switch. No rhyme or reason, now the "stops" for headlight positions are all smooth.

Looks like I need to get a new swtich. Searchs showed some conflicts. Some sellers group switches in either earlier X100s (97 - 00) or later (01-06). Others don't.

Anyone out there know if the same switch was installed on all our cars? Of course some have Auto headlights, others don't.

If they are the same searching will be alot easier. New switches are above $500 in some places!

Thanks,

John

Old 11-07-2017, 01:28 AM
Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts

Same across the years from what I can see.

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 03:09 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

+1

JEPC shows these same two Auto headlamp/except Auto headlamp P/N's for the whole VIN range.

Not often you get that lucky with Jaguar!

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member

Graham, Chris,
Thanks. This was a bad surprise last night.

First I noticed one low beam was intermittent. Rare and always corrected with on/off/on.

Then last night I noticed my halogen low beam's flaring (These high voltage halogen always do when turned on) when I flicked high beam's on or off. This had me scratching my head as the lows should be constantly on either way.

Wasn't long before left turn signal shut all lights off. Whew, good news bad news I thought as I quickly turned the signal off to restore lights, this must be another loose wire in the stalks circuit board. I've been there before - no big deal.

Then, a brainstorm, maybe it's the auto setting. As I moved the switch to normal on, I lost all lights. It was then I realized none of the indents that stop the switch in position were there anymore! I found that deadreconning and memory allowed me to find the auto position. There still was a small spot that works there. Got home safely.

Well you should have seen my face when I looked up the new price for one of these switches! It is around $600!

Thank God for eBay, and for all year's interchangeability.

Thanks again for the fast response. Like I said I've been in there before, though the mechanics of freeing the switch looked like they are not obvious.

John

Old 11-07-2017, 09:40 AM
Received 51 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd be curious to see if the stalk could be dis-assembled and repaired as it seems strange that the indents (or stops) would just disappear. Maybe something slipped or came loose?

Old 11-07-2017, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

Mike, you read my mind. I bought a replacement anyway, but will let you all know when I get to look at it. Strangely the thing was working like there is a loose wire today. Everything but auto worked on my ride. Ah, I'll probably dive into it tomorrow when I get the new switch and after I replace rear bearings today.

John