XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Uncomfortable Seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by maxwdg
I have actually considered a block of wood on that useless dead pedal. I have done a quick look for an adjustment - found nothing. +1 on moving the pedal. I just have to figure out how it's mounted.
Max...

There was an OE "extension" to the dead pedal available to those who wanted it ...you may already be aware of this. In any case, my car had this dead pedal extension, and I didn't want it. So I took it out, but saved it.

If you don't have one fitted now, and would like mine, I can send it to you. Or anyone else who'd like to have it.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 690 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by The Coupe
Max...

There was an OE "extension" to the dead pedal available to those who wanted it ...you may already be aware of this. In any case, my car had this dead pedal extension, and I didn't want it. So I took it out, but saved it.

If you don't have one fitted now, and would like mine, I can send it to you. Or anyone else who'd like to have it..
As I understood, the OE extension was only an inch or two different. To those us us vertically challenged types, this is not enough. The block of wood have merits tho...

I intend to crawl in there soon and see if there is possibly another way to attach the pedal closer in to the seat. If I attempt this, I will take pictures and let the group know. Busy now, so may take a while. (typical for my projects)

Old 08-13-2013, 12:00 AM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Having just retired a 1997 XK8 with the one-piece backerst bucket seats in exchange for a 2003 XKR with the updated seats, I have to say:

1) The newer seats in the XKR are plushier, have softer leather and are much more comfortable, perhaps even more so on long drives - will get the full report from the wife on the next trip to Canada.

2) That said, I much prefer the look of the older seat with the 1 piece backrest. The newer seats with the fatter cushions and the separate head rest appear overstuffed and out of place. The rear seats are even more cramped than they already were in the 1997 model. Fact is, they probably designed the car with the original, thin seats in mind but after numerous complaints about comfort adjusted the comfort factor at the expense of already limited cabin space - especially in the coupes.

The best compromise is probably the Recaros, which have the look of the one piece original seats but more side support and presumably a tad more comfort - although many people here would not agree.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

On the 97's, is there a way to raise only the bottom rear of the seat? The front bottom is high enough. Seems I can only raise the entire bottom higher or lower.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Feathers
On the 97's, is there a way to raise only the bottom rear of the seat? The front bottom is high enough. Seems I can only raise the entire bottom higher or lower.
The seat raises up and down, but it does not tilt forward or back if I recall correctly. The controls are slightly different on the newer versions, which definitely allow for this adjustment.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

The rear seat cushion tilt on this thing is a screwy design though. On every other car I've owned with multi-function seats, when you adjust the seat tilt, the seat back goes along for the ride - so you then adjust the recline and you're done. On this thing, when I adjust the seat cushion rear, only the seat cushion moves - the seat back stays still.

I'm only 5' 8" and I like a low, semi-reclined seat position. I have yet to find that position in this car. At best, the head rest towers over me ridiculously and the contours of the seat back are never in the right places (even with lumbar adjustments). I've taken to driving in a more Old-Man, upright and higher position (well, that's how it feels to me).

That said, she's still a GREAT long distance GT - which is exactly why she's in the stable.

Enjoy! (and whine a little of course - )

Old 08-16-2013, 08:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've expeirenced the same problem, same leg. Seems like if I could just raise the back of the seat like I can on my others cars, it would make for better long distance running.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I modified my seats in my previous car, a Mustang 07 GT, after experiencing hip and lower back pain on my right side, not just when driving, but throughout the day after long drives in the car.. Googling "bucket seat syndrome" and "fat wallet syndrome" led me to have center of the set and lumbar area of the seat plumped up considerably from where it had been. Initially it felt very odd, and my 6'0"" frame was probably as large as a driver as it could accommodate. The seat almost felt over corrected (lumpy?), but the symptoms of pain went away almost immediately. I'll likely do a similar mod in my xk8. I can find a comfortable seat position for an hour long drive or so, but any longer and the position and pressure points aren't right.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:11 PM
Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts

I find it strange that none of the notes above mention using the cruise control on long trips---a system that allows much needed leg movment and butt repositioning------a needed thing to do at my advanced age. I use the control just about all the time in either Jag and even in my old 80 Ford PU.
Holding the gas pedal at a given highway speed for long periods can cause pain in the back, legs and most other (in one position) places.
Do yourselves a favor and use the cruise control---at least on the highway. Prevents the constant speed changes (however slight---the guy behind you will thank you) and gives much better fuel milage---if you worry about such things.........

Old 05-17-2014, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag#4
As I understood, the OE extension was only an inch or two different. To those us us vertically challenged types, this is not enough. The block of wood have merits tho...

I intend to crawl in there soon and see if there is possibly another way to attach the pedal closer in to the seat. If I attempt this, I will take pictures and let the group know. Busy now, so may take a while. (typical for my projects)
See post #5 here

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...d-offer-89322/

Old 05-17-2014, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 690 Likes on 560 Posts

Jandreu,

Thanks for the link. I had indeed seen that. What I ended up doing was using 2" PVC pipe painted flat black. Picked up a long (3.5"?) allen head bolt and used it with the existing pedal and the PVC as an extension. No cutting or drilling and you'd have to lay down on the footwell to even see it.

Works much better, although an extra inch would be just perfect. I was afraid when I got the extension anything longer might be unstable, but the one in now is rock steady. I'll move to another inch or two when I get around to it.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:42 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts
The following users liked this post:
x-biker (05-18-2014)
Old 05-17-2014, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by aode06
But then I'd have to have the carpet cleaned from throwing up my lunch every time I looked at those. Talk about butt ugly...

Old 05-18-2014, 10:10 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

LOL

Old 05-19-2014, 01:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My problem is that I am 6'4". I DO use cruise control - use it all the time, but my leg is still cramped. Trust me I love cruise!

Old 05-19-2014, 11:04 PM

After a few hours on a long trip, I usually play with the cruise control and the seat adjustment to try to alleviate leg cramps. It helps, but so far I've determined the older seats from the '97 were actually more comfortable than the newer ones in the '03 I'm driving now, at least for me. But neither set is perfect.

Unfortunately, there isn't much choice aside from going full boat for a new set of aftermarket Recaros (not the ones offered as options from Jaguar), but that gets expensive quickly and there's no guarantee they would be more comfortable anyway. I guess you could always keep the upgraded seats for the next car.