XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Upgrading my XK8

Search this Thread

Old Today, 04:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mjs128
that is a big number on a stock high compression engine. You honestly may need to go to XKR pistons, at that point you are either rebuilding your block or swapping it out. If you swap it out you get the better pistons and oil jets (not sure the XK8 had them). It might we worth a discussion with a head gasket maker to see if you can have an MLS gasket made that is a little thicker to help lower compression. I am in the middle of building an engine and I will tell you first hand, to do it right is NOT cheap or easy. Forged Aston Martin crank ($ first born son), forged rods and oversized forged pistons ($5000), block work ($2000), head work (no idea, not there yet), gaskets, bearings and misc parts ($1500-2000).

Either way, document your progress for the forum, there some brilliant folks in our ranks. These cars are finally at the age and price where people are not afraid to push the limits.
Is there any part numbers for the XKR pistons on the forum? I've looked most of the day, and finding stock pistons is seemingly not gonna happen.

Old Today, 05:51 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach01
Mainly because my car has a red title, it's resale is nothing. For me realistically, it's cheaper to swap it than to try and sell mine or trade it to a XKR. So for all of my upgrades I'll be out 2500 to 3500 at the most. Even with selling my car and putting 3500 with it, I won't come close to getting a XKR with as low mileage and in as good a shape as what my car is in. Not to mention I'll have to drive 200 miles in one direction just to look at the closest XKR in this specific model. I looked extensively before buying my car, for an XKR in my price range. I have all the tools necessary for the job at my place of work to swap everything and the help of some experienced mechanics. So after all things considered. This was the best course of action, at least in my mind.
I still believe $2500-3500 total out of pocket for what you are proposing seems highly optimistic.

The following 3 users liked this post by MVMonarch:
dfbender (Today), motorcarman (Today), wymjym (Today)