XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Upper Shock Mount Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 09:39 PM
Received 107 Likes on 68 Posts

The rear packing is a 6.5mm shim, and that's what I reffering to, terminology messes everything up. Anyways, the new dims with the front shim added to drivers side. To be clear, Brutal did not recommend adding this shim but I made and did it in an attempt to get my camber back in speck on the front.

DF 15-1/16 PF 15-1/16
DR 15-7/8" PR 15-13/16

Yeah, they're all pretty close. I'm sure when I do the passenger shock mount it'll change a little but I'm just trying to get it to align properly. I've spent my fixin wad this year. If it's off next year or I hit the lottery (darn I forgot to play) I'll get the springs and fix it right.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:45 AM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Put these bad boys in today. Thanks for the writeup. This thing is like a whole new car. I can't believe it. It sounded as though a nest of birds were living in my dash and it turned out that it was coming from t he shock mount.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

good job squirrel! I think its time we change your avatar... broken no more!

Old 05-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Received 107 Likes on 68 Posts

Your welcome squirrel, I'm still waiting for the passenger one to come in and my passenger side dash still has something living in it. I'll use the spring compression tools I made instead of the drill press this time and repost some pics. Much safer way to go and it won't even cost me any beer.

Attached Thumbnails Upper Shock Mount Replaced-0421001819.jpg  
Old 05-07-2010, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by h20boy
good job squirrel! I think its time we change your avatar... broken no more!
STOP THAT! This car is British and haunted by the ghosts of Lucas Electronics if I change it, IT WILL BREAK!!!!

and for the record....here are a few shots of the new shock mount being disassembled, as well as the old one apart and the two next to each other. What a mess!

Name:  De-o-Jag_0001-1.jpg
Views: 1669
Size:  81.5 KB
Name:  De-o-Jag_0002-1.jpg
Views: 1676
Size:  89.5 KB
Name:  De-o-Jag_0003-1.jpg
Views: 1686
Size:  86.7 KB
Name:  De-o-Jag_0004-1.jpg
Views: 1976
Size:  89.1 KB
Name:  De-o-Jag_0005-1.jpg
Views: 1691
Size:  101.2 KB
Name:  De-o-Jag_0006-1.jpg
Views: 1699
Size:  68.4 KB
Name:  De-o-Jag_0007-1.jpg
Views: 1683
Size:  70.4 KB

Last edited by viscoussquirrel; 08-23-2010 at 07:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jtshaw (10-23-2013)
Old 05-07-2010, 07:34 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Excellent photos. Is that degree of deterioration typical for these upper mounts. If so, it would seem that a better material/formulation could be found for the polymer gasket. The photos suggest that the parent materials totally degrade. One has to wonder after all this time why this part has not been updated with currently available materials that are not attacked and broken down so extensively.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldlion
Excellent photos. Is that degree of deterioration typical for these upper mounts. If so, it would seem that a better material/formulation could be found for the polymer gasket. The photos suggest that the parent materials totally degrade. One has to wonder after all this time why this part has not been updated with currently available materials that are not attacked and broken down so extensively.
Why would they do that? Then they couldn't keep selling you new ones!!

Old 05-08-2010, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
Why would they do that? Then they couldn't keep selling you new ones!!
A sad truth from a dying marquee.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by viscoussquirrel
A sad truth from a dying marquee.
Like it is any different with any other car company? Please.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by SilverXJ
Like it is any different with any other car company? Please.
Obviously you got something completely different from that comment than what was intended. It's my belief that planned obsolescence is sad, though it is an industry practice. One that came back to bite American automakers in the *** when they planned it a bit sooner than their Japanese counterparts.
Furthermore, I find the decline and probable extinction of the British marquee in America to be a sad thing. Beyond that, resale value of these particular cars get's murdered by the poor engineering of various components wrapped up in astronomical parts costs. Again. Sad.

Last edited by viscoussquirrel; 08-23-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:46 PM
ud
Received 148 Likes on 75 Posts

Yes, I agree. It would be sad if the British marque died. Maybe it would help if Jaguar advertised the marque on more marquees in the US....like the one in Times Square!

Old 05-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by viscoussquirrel
Obviously you got something completely different from that comment than what was intended. It's my belief that planned obsolescence is sad, though it is an industry practice. One that came back to bite American automakers in the *** when they planed it a bit sooner than their Japanese counterparts.
Furhtemore, I find the decline and probable extinction of the British marquee in America to be a sad thing. Beyond that, resale value of these particular cars get's murdered by the poor engineering of various components wrapped up in astronomical parts costs. Again. Sad.
Jaguar has no more problems than any other car manufacturer. And their parts are no more expensive than any other car of comparable sophistication. However, you are correct in Jaguar's sales on the US. They make fine cars that can compete with the other European competition. I believe it falls on the fault of lack of advertising. I actually don't remember the last time I saw an ad for a Jaguar myself, while I remember quite a few commercials for Lexus, Merceded and BMW.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Received 141 Likes on 125 Posts

There are several large ads for the 2011 XJ at Newark airport. ( a little off topic from shock mounts). Very well done and aimed at the wealthy of course. But, all we have to do is wait a few years and watch the resale crash as usual.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just replaced my front shocks/struts and upper shock mounts on my 2003 XKR. I wouldn't do it myself again. Even reading all the great input and watching a video gave me the courage to tackle the job myself, it was hard work. I'll pay someone if I need to do it again. That being said heres a couple things I will comment on. You can compress the springs with a couple sets of spring compression took kits. I tried with just one set that I picked up from Advanced Auto Parts. They have a tool loaner program. You pay for the tools up front as a deposit and get every everything back when you return the tool. Great program. Anyway I tried to get the springs compressed with one set ant couldn't get the spring compressed enough. So I went to another Advanced Auto Parts and got another set. This did the trick. Also, I have a small air compressor and an air ratchet and impact wrench. I couldn't have done the job without the air tools. Trying to use a ratchet set just will not work. After finally compressing the springs enough to remove the shock I was able to remove the old shock and shock mount and replace with the new ones. The shock mounts definitely needed replacing however both shocks looked great. I decided in advance to replace them anyway because of the 80,000 miles on the car. With all of the work involved in replacing the shock mounts I didn't want to do it again. NOTE: when removing the upper control arm, be extremely careful to set aside the spacers in a way that you can put them back exactly the way they came out. When I did the first side I mistakingly allowed them to get mixed up. I used the other side to "ball-park" where they went back in. The car drived great but I think I need another front end alignment. I saved the shocks because they look to be in great condition and possibly had been replaced before I bought the car about a month ago. At $485.00 per shock I thought I might offer them for sale to another XKR owner who can't afford the price for new ones. I have just about finished all of the preventive maintenance I can think of. I've replaced all fluids including the A/T transmission pan & filter, new synthetic motor oil, spark plugs, nitrogen in the tires, tires balanced & rotated and a front end alignment although I think with the replacement of the shocks and shock mount I may need another alignment. I've topped off the green hydraulic fluid for the convertible top. The car looks great and runs better. Thanks to all the input from this forum. I've found the Jag pretty easy to work on so far.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:05 AM
Received 2,193 Likes on 1,359 Posts

As a side note you dont need to remove the upper control arms. Just take out the wheel arch liners and work the shock assemblies to the back of the front fenders to get them out. And yes be sure and get a alignment. You changed the ride height with new mounts and this changes camber which changes the toe setting. Incorrect toe will quickly wearout the front tires

Old 11-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

I've used spring compressors quite a few times to swap springs and struts/shocks on various cars without incident. The compressed spring could be dangerous, so in recent years I've upgraded to a better compressor ($40) that has safety locks to reduce the chance the spring can escape the tool.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:50 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Buffalo, be clear when you bring it into the dealer for an alignment, mine (and I believe most follow this policy) only check caster (which you jacked when dropping those shims and washers), they do not 'adjust' or correct them as part of the alignment. Now, separately, under a different service item, they may reinstall the shims correctly.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:20 AM

Thanks again for the input. H20Boy thanks for your continued input. I spoke to my local mechanic and he told me just about the same thing about the front end alignment. Does anyone know of a diagram that shows the correct shim placement. Based on copying the other side I believe my shims are about 90% correct. My mechanic said that if some of the very thin shims are out of order he didn't believe it would be a problem. The car rides great and doesn't pull either way Runs hands off straight as an arrow at all speeds up to 80 MPH +. I will have another alignment done anyway and I'll mention to only check the caster. Thanks again. Buffalo

Old 11-14-2012, 05:23 AM

PS Great pictures H20boy. My upper shock mounts weren't nearly that bad and the rubber hadn't started breaking down. BTW does anyone know what durometer the rubber is in the shock mounts?
BUFFALO