XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Using T300 Key Programmer for XKR Tibbe Key

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 01:01 PM
Received 67 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Using T300 Key Programmer for XKR Tibbe Key

Well. Finally got married. Need a second TIBBE key for my 2001 XKR. Thanks to the Jaguar Forum, quickly located a web source to make a second key from my supplied key code. The site even teaches how to read the existing key. Just a few days later, the key arrived, and fit perfectly into the door and ignition. Now the bad news. The key requires programming. Stupid me. OK. Lots of research. Now I know that I have to take to my local dealer (80 miles away). He doesn't care that I have a cut TIBBE key. He wants the car, title, and $400. So I think there has to be another way. Web research identified a t300 key programmer for $85. Literature says it will work. Quick summary, insert existing key, clear ECM memory. Store existing key. Insert second key, save stored memory (blah, blah). OK. Here's the question: Any one of your really smart people ever try this? Thanks in advance for your feedback. Very respectfully, Bob G.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

You will probably be better served with a cloned Mongoose JLR cable and SDD software such as Jaguar Land Rover Range Rover Diagnostics SDD OBD2 Cable JLR V138 | eBay

This will allow you to program the key in the car from a service menu, and you will have a huge bonus of having the factory diagnostics available for your car.

You need to be sure, however, that the key you had cut is a transponder key. There are identical looking Tibbe keys with and without the transponder.

The following users liked this post:
Robert Grisar (10-05-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 02:21 PM

Thanks! I learned more from you in your 45 words than 7 years in college. I had no idea that the Tibbe keys with and without the chip look the same. Your 2001 XKR sounds wonderful. Thanks again!

Old 10-05-2016, 05:22 PM

UPDATE - UPDATE - UPDATE. Found a youtube video on this subject. Explains that my original key has a T5 Megamos transponder chip. Shows how to REMOVE chip from key, mount near ignition slot, and then ANY properly 8-cut Tibbe key starts car. Yes, this defeats security, but car is 16 years old and worth less than $5000. Here is the link:
(You might have to cut & paste linnk into your browser.) I would be interested in all comments from Jaguar Forum members.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Easy cowboy!. This may work in principle, but not all keys have the same construction. This thread shows removal of the transponder on a Tibbe key: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ictures-93167/

It also shows destruction of the original key. I suggest getting another key cut if you go this route. Also, if you accidentally damage the transponder, all your locks will need to be changed, because the original transponder is needed to program additional keys.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:08 PM

Thank you WhiteXKR. Your cautionary comments are well received. I really did not want to destroy the housing of my single working key to get hold of the only working transponder chip. Thanks again.

I was successful in holding the working key near the ignition, and use the non-chip key to start the car. So, correct proximity of the transponder chip near the ignition is required, even if the chip is not part of the key.

So, I'm back to the search. Looks like I can purchase Tibbe cutting service for correct year/model keys for about $35. Now I am looking into programming machines and/or services. My wife is far more comfortable with this approach (happy wife, happy life).

Lots of c\chip duplicating machines on market for under $100. Used are even less. But listing of years/cars/models is hard to find. Any thoughts?

Old 10-06-2016, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

Some locksmiths can do them- Mine was able to successfully cut and program.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Grisar
Thank you WhiteXKR. Your cautionary comments are well received. I really did not want to destroy the housing of my single working key to get hold of the only working transponder chip. Thanks again.

I was successful in holding the working key near the ignition, and use the non-chip key to start the car. So, correct proximity of the transponder chip near the ignition is required, even if the chip is not part of the key.

So, I'm back to the search. Looks like I can purchase Tibbe cutting service for correct year/model keys for about $35. Now I am looking into programming machines and/or services. My wife is far more comfortable with this approach (happy wife, happy life).

Lots of c\chip duplicating machines on market for under $100. Used are even less. But listing of years/cars/models is hard to find. Any thoughts?

With a 2001, you should look into doing the Flip Key conversion