XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Valet vs Master key

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 09:40 PM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Valet vs Master key

re 2003 XK8

Trying to identify keys that I have. Previous owner had keys replaced so there is some uncertainty

because none of the 3 keys open the lid ( cylinder won’t rotate ) I am trying to determine if I have a master key problem or lock cylinder problem

all the keys appear to be identical with black heads. 2 of the keys have green background on “cat” logo therefore I assumed this was a green key therefore a valet key but maybe I am misunderstanding green key definition.

I read in another post that valet keys have a slightly larger tip than the master key. All 3 of my keys seem identical

Randy

Old 11-03-2020, 02:50 AM
GGG
Received 16,867 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Randy,

I've just seen your email but will reply here as it adds to the group conversation. Also, I think my memory is wrong about which key is machined down but I no longer have a Jaguar model with this type of key to be able to check.

It sounds like you have three MASTER keys. The MASTER has a black head and the VALET has a green head - the full plastic head sections and not just the logo. A VALET key will NOT open either the glovebox or the luggage compartment. This I'm confident is correct.

The photo is the keys from my long gone 2005 XK8. Both black MASTER (bottom) and green VALET (top) keys are the same length. The sections shown in BLUE on the photo are identical. The difference is the sections shown in RED. This is very noticeable if a true MASTER and VALET are examined together. I'm also confident this is correct.

The MASTER key is machined down to a smaller diameter. A VALET can therefore be converted into a MASTER because metal is removed but a MASTER cannot be converted into a VALET. This is where I think my memory is wrong. It seems logical that it should be the other way round! Let's see what other members who currently have XK8/XKR's have to say on this.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 11-03-2020 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Typo
The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
Don B (11-04-2020), motorcarman (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,513 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Have you tried the keys in the door locks and the glove box?

FWIW, the trunk lock cylinder can be bought from Jaguar, and comes unassembled, as a stacks of disks. The "coding" of the new lock to the existing key is left as an exercise to the buyer. Conversely, I assume it can be disassembled with careful hands and re-coded to the existing keys. A Tibbe key is pretty "simple". There are 8 separate positions, and each position has one of 3 possible "cuts" (no cut, shallow cut and steep cut). Not sure if the door locks can be updated at home the same way.

I suppose you are looking at a situation where a previous owner would have obtained 3 keys matched to a replacement starter lock, re-coded the key transponders to the car and left the other locks alone, trusting the remotes. This is not a common scenario for our cars.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 11-03-2020, 08:57 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Fmertz

Great info re purchase new trunk key. All 3 master keys work as they should with the exception of the trunk. I was exploring the possibility that I had 3 valet keys but I think that is unlikely as all key heads are black. I apparently do not have a valet key. I thought since the jag logo was green on a key that it was a valet key but I was wrong.

Receipts from previous owner show key replacements and programming so maybe the truck was skipped.
My next step is to remove the lock from the car to determine if I have a cable problem or more likely a lock cylinder/wrong key problem.

Randy

Old 11-03-2020, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,513 Likes on 1,061 Posts

FWIW, that trunk lock becoming frozen over time for lack of use/corrosion is reported on this list on a regular basis. Jaguar did such a nice job making this lock as discreet as possible that some/most owners miss it until an episode involving a dead battery.

The following users liked this post:
michaelh (07-18-2024)