XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valley Hose Replacement / SC Rebuild / aircon fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 06:04 AM
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Thumbs up Valley Hose Replacement / SC Rebuild / aircon fix

So I finally started the job from hell that I knew I had to do, just loosing too much coolant to drive my car anymore.
So removed my Supercharger Sunday to get at those dreaded valley hoses, that's a tough job especially when one of the bolts that held the SC on, the one at the back in the cavern under the throttle body of course was seized in, 8mm bolt 10mm head great! And a monkey had been there before me, as I found a cable normally at the back of the SC now below it and one of the triangle plates that hold on the throttle body elbow on was clearly not attached properly. Anyway including that seized bolt it was completely out in bits within 6hrs, including cigarette breaks, owe and having to out to buy a special socket for that dodgy seized bolt, so on a good day, with no snags it's a 4hr-5hr job all day long for someone who's pretty handy like me but not full time mechanic.
Cleaning the mess up below in the valley will be another 4hrs no doubt, then cleaning up all that came out another couple of hours. It's not the valley hoses that are split on mine, it's the joins where the hose meets the metal pipe work, the metal pipe end gets so corroded. CAN SOMEONE REPLY WITH THE PROPER ANTI CORROSIVE COOLANT FOR THIS CAR PLEASE?
So re-built the SC yesterday, it's off the car so stupid not to do a full rebuild on that, especially as I put on a Powerhouse larger crank pulley when I bought the car, makes a huge difference on the 4.0L. My bearings were not destroyed by any means in the SC, but no longer silent, so on the way and it did have a bit of a rumble on tick over, so an obvious job to do. Warning! Do not attempt a SC rebuild without access to a couple of hydraulic presses, I used a big stand up press and a small portable press, all went well until replacing the belt pulley on the end of the snoot shaft, realised that must be an 'Interference fit' as it was a real pig getting it off. So in the end throw the rebuilt SC snoot in the freezer for 1/2 hour and gently heated up the belt pulley with a central heating pipe blow torch to get it on without using 10 tons of press on it destroying the rebuild.
Funny enough once I stripped all that out by accident I found my aircon leak too, on the low pressure side, the filler pipe in fact runs by the EGR pipe, which has little heat shield on it and my rubber pipe had a hole the size of my thumb burnt into it! A bit of research found a new heat retardant pipe replacement MJA7310AH, my unguarded pipe was an AG code, so ordered a 2nd hand AH one in, sweet at last will have aircon in this car as it's never worked for more than 2 days before it all disappears.
Next task while I wait for all the parts to arrive will be to spray the top Pacific Blue the same colour as my car, seen that on others and it does look good and it's all in bits now, again best do it or that job is defo never going to happen! So here's a few picts, will post the finished item hopefully in a couple of weeks when it's all done, but a brutal job defo not for the faint hearted this one. Cost with all the parts, gaskets, hoses and paint has been approx £300.00, I shudder to think how much a garage would charge for all these jobs I am a doing here?
I did read a load of posts about all this, mainly here and around the web before I started, so thanks to all for that and now I have mastered this job, happy to help anyone else faced with a similar task. Eek!

Attached Thumbnails Valley Hose Replacement / SC Rebuild / aircon fix-1-seized-bolt.jpg   Valley Hose Replacement / SC Rebuild / aircon fix-2-valley-1.jpg   Valley Hose Replacement / SC Rebuild / aircon fix-3-valley-2.jpg   Valley Hose Replacement / SC Rebuild / aircon fix-4-striped.jpg   Valley Hose Replacement / SC Rebuild / aircon fix-5-new-bearings.jpg  

Valley Hose Replacement / SC Rebuild / aircon fix-6-blower.jpg  
The following 8 users liked this post by PeterG:
avern1 (05-08-2018), cjd777 (06-03-2018), clyons (05-08-2018), Johnken (05-08-2018), larueb (06-05-2018), MiragePro (05-09-2018), piper 888 (04-13-2022), szhilian39 (12-27-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-09-2018, 05:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

I expect it's WSS-M97B44-D

I was thinking it would be in the workshop manual (free download i expect) as well as in the Vehicle Specifications PDF (also free).

Many useful things are in these (not least torque specs).

Old 06-02-2018, 05:33 PM
Default I finally finished it!!!

Well, I finally finished it last weekend, all my water leaks are gone from the valley, rebuilt the supercharger as it was off, that's not that easy either, painted the intercoolers and I fixed the aircon melted original rubber pipe too. What a pig it was fitting the new aircon filler pipes, now in 2 pieces. I had to cut out the old pipe and poke up from under the car the compressor pipe, thank my lucky stars the throttle body and elbow was already off while I was fixing the water leaks and rebuilding the supercharger.
And to top it off I finally sorted out my airbag issue can't believe it! Basically the airbag crash sensors are earthed to the chassis, the monkey who previously own my car re-located the front one and screwed it into the inner bumper, why was beyond me? I got so frustrated in the end I replaced the module also faulty anyway and it still did not work, I stripped out the rear interior to get at the 2 rear sensors and realised they are bolted to the chassis so earthed. I got out the wiring diagram and bingo all 3 are earthed. Easy fix in the end but been on this one on and off for 3 years plus!
So happy bunny now, just need to get my rear arches into my mates paint shop and repair my leaky freaking hydraulic roof and I might just be there this summer?
Here's the finished picture, took last weekend at night, not taken another in the day yet, too exhausted from it all lol.

Attached Thumbnails Valley Hose Replacement / SC Rebuild / aircon fix-img_6743.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by PeterG:
cjd777 (06-03-2018), GBCat (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 06:03 PM

So if anyone wants to know about the following;-
Removing the throttle body & elbow
Removing SC
Rebuilding SC
Upgrading your SC bottom Pulley
Valley hose replacement and removing corrosion from the pipes under there
Painting your Intercoolers
Replacing the original aircon filler pipe with the 2 part alloy pipes
Crash sensor & Control module faults
Lowering & uprating your suspension
UK where to get good value stainless steel cats from
What combination sports exhaust to go for
Refurbing exterior wiondow trim
Rain water leaks on convertibles

Feel free to drop me a line

Next jobs;-
Sort out misfire on No.8 (just started Grr)
Change rear axle oil
Hydraulic fluid leak from the roof
New interior mirror
Brembo upgrade
Wheel refurb,

Then I might just be there LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-05-2018, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Having rebuilt the S/C on my XJR and having R&Red the one on my XKR; I have to say, really not that bad of a job! You get better at it over time, but room to get at stuff is actually half decent and I can now get an S/C off one of these cars in about an hour and fifteen minutes. The reinstall takes more like 2 hours.

You can do the rebuild of the S/C with a 20 Ton Harbor Freight press which are under $200 ALL the time; sometimes as low as $150. It's not the greatest press ever made, but I'd rebuilt the S/C, did a full front suspension w/ wheel bearings on my XJR and tons of other little projects with it in the 2 years I've had it. Better than my dad having to take them to the machine shop at work and get it done.

I bet what you did related to the valley hoses and S/C rebuild would be around $2k at a shop.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:00 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Any chance you have a parts list ?

Old 04-12-2022, 09:12 AM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default What year XKR are involved?

What year XKR have this Valley Hose issue?

Old 04-12-2022, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

All the 4.2 R cars.

The following users liked this post:
Markmbaha1 (04-12-2022)