Victory tail lamps from Gaudin

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 333 Posts

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  13.3 KB
Said bulbs!! Not huge but a great way to go led and give a little wow factor!!

Old 07-18-2013, 06:54 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

^they look a bit of a tight fit. You sure they're compatible with our cars? Anyhow, I'd love to see them installed and working. Post pix!

Old 07-18-2013, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Frog
^they look a bit of a tight fit. You sure they're compatible with our cars? Anyhow, I'd love to see them installed and working. Post pix!
I measured and the set I found seem as if they will fit. Every led I've installed have been close but a bit of wiggling and they work. If I have to, I may shave a little off the opening but the usually do fit.
Was told these hinge closed to the same size as the regular bulb.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog
They look superb, but I knew that already

Now you have to source some Philips SilverVision or LED indicator bulbs to get rid of the egg-yolk look. It's the law

Hey Frog--looks like we have the same color (Quartz?) so now I know how the lights will look on mine. Am looking forward to doing an easy (hopefully) install.

Doug

Old 07-18-2013, 10:25 AM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Doug:

I believe Frog's XK is the special Frost Blue Metallic bespoke to the 4.2s/Victory Ed. If you want to see them a quartz car see post 15 in the following thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...xkr-%3D-97295/ or go to my "garage" I have more images there. Yes, I need to post better pictures.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Hey Marc--these greyish, blueish metallics end up almost chameleon-like. The first time I saw my car when the previous owner had it up for sale I was telling everyone the car was a graphite color. I guess this was based on the light conditions under which I first viewed it (in the shade). Once I bought the car and found the color was Quartz and started looking at it in the sun, it actually seems to have a bit of a greenish tint. My wife thinks I am nuts and calls it grey/silver.

Doug

Old 07-18-2013, 11:17 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by MarcB
I believe Frog's XK is the special Frost Blue Metallic.
Correct. Quartz is one of my top three colours on the XK8.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:14 AM
Veteran Member

Am I terrible if I say they look best on black?!?!?! Lol
But great on any color!!
I wonder if anyone will even notice at the JCNA event this weekend. I'll have to report back!!

Old 07-19-2013, 09:09 AM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by philhef
?... I wonder if anyone will even notice at the JCNA event this weekend. I'll have to report back!!
It will be interesting to hear if anyone notices. It is subtle and I don't believe it was even mentioned in the marketing for the 4.2s/Victory Editions. That said with all the touches on these last limited edition models it ties in very nicely.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:44 AM
Veteran member

For the sake of completeness, a couple of quick pix of what they look like when switched on (side lights only):

Attached Thumbnails Victory tail lamps from Gaudin-rear1.jpg   Victory tail lamps from Gaudin-rear2.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Jeff in Tucson (07-20-2013)
Old 07-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Default Joined the club

Well I got the tail lamps yesterday and installed them this morning. This was a first in several ways--a true 10 or 15 minute install, reasonable price for a Jaguar part, nothing broke or crumbled when I did the install, everything fits fine.

It is not a dramatic change but pretty subtle but gives a slightly updated look to the car. See photos of before and after.

Doug

Attached Thumbnails Victory tail lamps from Gaudin-origboth.jpg   Victory tail lamps from Gaudin-origone.jpg   Victory tail lamps from Gaudin-newboth.jpg   Victory tail lamps from Gaudin-newone.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by SeismicGuy:
Frog (07-21-2013), Jeff in Tucson (07-20-2013)
Old 07-20-2013, 08:51 PM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts

Those look AWESOME! My car is still in the shop having various surgeries done. I can't wait to see them fully installed. 'Very cool on your car.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jeff in Tucson
Those look AWESOME! My car is still in the shop having various surgeries done. I can't wait to see them fully installed. 'Very cool on your car.

Hey Jeff--thanks for the compliment! It is funny how a little bit of color and shading of something like a tail light lens can change the character of the car. To me, the new lights somehow make the rear appear a bit broader and flatter and more modern. The effect in person looks better than in the photos.

By the way, I did NOT receive a Jaguar golf shirt like you did. Was that a freebie that Gaudin threw in or did you order it?

Doug

Old 07-21-2013, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MarcB
It will be interesting to hear if anyone notices. It is subtle and I don't believe it was even mentioned in the marketing for the 4.2s/Victory Editions. That said with all the touches on these last limited edition models it ties in very nicely.
Event was awesome!! Some of the most amazing Jaguars I've ever seen!! I'll add a thread with pics later.
As for the tail lights, I had several people comment on them. They thought I had them custom tinted so at least they noticed. It may have been that I had my fog lights tinted also so maybe that confused them.
Here's the odd thing. There were 4 06 XK8's there and they ALL had the tinted tail lights. Only two were Victory editions! I talked to the owners and they all were original owners!!
One non-victory was black and had the carbon dash also but was def not a victory edition. No door sils and standard XK8 badging. He wasn't even aware his tail light were special. He did remember he had to put up a fuss to get the carbon dash but they did finally order it. I can only assume the factory changed the tail lights due to the carbon? Maybe?
But the other car was a base XK8, no special order except the color. It was Ferarri red and it also had the victory tail lights but no carbon dash. But the wood may have been the victory veneer. It was unusually light. Similar to a birds eye maple. He said he only ordered the color option and nothing else. It came with the light wood as is.
I wonder if, near end of production, the factory either randomly put the lights on due to standard lights running out or possibly on any custom ordered car. Both of the non Victory editions were ordered within the very last month before the new XK8 took over.
Strange to see all the smoked tail lights when I thought they were so unique!
Now, the other two 96 XK8's that were there, non competition, had regular tail lights!! I asked a judge and he actually seemed as if he at first wasn't even aware of the victory having different lights and that the tail lights were simply 06 updates. But finally said if the car came with them from the factory, there would be no deductions in points. Where as mine would be a deduction since they weren't available in 2002.
On a side note, I got a sweet parking space right beside the special category cars,(daily drivers, modified cars and just not concours perfect ones) and my car actually had a LOT of interest. I've been told it HAS to be intered next year!!

Old 07-21-2013, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,352 Likes on 2,848 Posts

Regarding the smoked taillights, I think the most accurate explanation is that by the time the final 2006 models were being built in mid-2005, Jaguar was clearing out the XK8/R parts bins in preparation for the new XK series. So while these smoked taillights were hyped as part of the Victory Edition model, I'll bet that many non-Victory Edition cars rolled out of the factory with them as well....

As I've said before, my wife's 2006 XK8 is a Victory Edition model and I never noticed the taillights difference until this thread pointed it out....

Old 07-21-2013, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
Regarding the smoked taillights, I think the most accurate explanation is that by the time the final 2006 models were being built in mid-2005, Jaguar was clearing out the XK8/R parts bins in preparation for the new XK series. So while these smoked taillights were hyped as part of the Victory Edition model, I'll bet that many non-Victory Edition cars rolled out of the factory with them as well....

As I've said before, my wife's 2006 XK8 is a Victory Edition model and I never noticed the taillights difference until this thread pointed it out....
My thoughts exactly.
Although, I do find it odd that in the 2006 brochure there is no mention of the tinted lights in the Victory edition description. Maybe they were on all the 2006 cars?
Anyone out there with a regular 2006 with non tinted tail list?
Ether way, I think the really look good!! Far better than custom tinting on tail lights which I was thinking about having done.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

This is kind of like researching the left hind leg of a flea. Nevertheless in Nigel Thorley's XK8 book there is a page or two discussing the Victory model and in one of the paragraphs it states that "Darkened rear light clusters were fitted to all models". It could be this meant all Victory models or all models in general.

Doug

Old 07-21-2013, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Regarding the smoked taillights, I think the most accurate explanation is that by the time the final 2006 models were being built in mid-2005, Jaguar was clearing out the XK8/R parts bins in preparation for the new XK series. So while these smoked taillights were hyped as part of the Victory Edition model, I'll bet that many non-Victory Edition cars rolled out of the factory with them as well.......
This was the case with the end of production with the S-Type as well. Many owners found themselves with free "upgrades"; chrome wheels, etc.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 764 Posts

Put the new lights in today so here is the required glamour shot.

Before:
Victory tail lamps from Gaudin-before.jpg

After:
Victory tail lamps from Gaudin-after.jpg

A subtle but nice improvement.

I ran into a problem with the exhaust tips though, they don't fit over the pipes.

The pipe from the rear muffler looks to be 2-1/4" which is the exact same size as the fitting on the exhaust tip. The old single tips are just a little larger around. The muffler has an embossed JAGUAR on it, so I know it's the stock one. I am a little perplexed by this as I assumed that all XKRs would have the same exhaust and this would be a drop in replacement. It appears that it might be a little more complicated.

It also looks like the tips will protrude significantly from past the bumper if fitted directly on the stock muffler pipe.

I think all of this could be remedied by a muffler shop, by expanding the inlet to the tip a little and shortening the pipe, but it raises the question: are the later model rear mufflers different than the earlier ones?

Old 07-21-2013, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ccfulton
Put the new lights in today so here is the required glamour shot.

Before:
Attachment 48901

After:
Attachment 48902

A subtle but nice improvement.

I ran into a problem with the exhaust tips though, they don't fit over the pipes.

The pipe from the rear muffler looks to be 2-1/4" which is the exact same size as the fitting on the exhaust tip. The old single tips are just a little larger around. The muffler has an embossed JAGUAR on it, so I know it's the stock one. I am a little perplexed by this as I assumed that all XKRs would have the same exhaust and this would be a drop in replacement. It appears that it might be a little more complicated.

It also looks like the tips will protrude significantly from past the bumper if fitted directly on the stock muffler pipe.

I think all of this could be remedied by a muffler shop, by expanding the inlet to the tip a little and shortening the pipe, but it raises the question: are the later model rear mufflers different than the earlier ones?
Ooo, good to know about the tips. I almost ordered!!
I keep looking at my XF tips in my garage, beside my XK8 and really think I'd like something like those on it. I've seen a replacement tip for my XF that has a splitter and thought I may exchange tips between cars if they fit.

Seeing your tail lights on your XKR makes me wonder if I want to paint my chrome plinth black too!!

Quick Reply: Victory tail lamps from Gaudin